Via Cardinals site-ESPN thinks the LA Rams are a playoff team... The RAMS!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/20...hinks-the-la-rams-are-a-playoff-team-the-rams
by Seth Cox

There are times when I read the mass amounts of information that are shared with me and just shake my head.

This is one of them.

usa_today_9850629.0.jpg

Last week, I posted about Mike Sando of ESPN picking the Cardinals as the team that got measurably worse in the 2017 offseason, of course he did a really nice job of hedging that saying he could see them winning more games this season.

Well, the NFL Insiders at ESPN have added another topic, this time non playoff teams from 2016 who will make the 2017 NFL Playoffs.

For those unaware, the Arizona Cardinals were not a playoff team in 2016, so they seemed like a good candidate for this... Nope, two writers did pick another NFC West team though: Dan Graziano and Aaron Schatz each picked the Los Angeles Rams, yes those Rams, to make the 2017 field.

From Graziano:

I like the Los Angeles Rams. Coordinator Wade Phillips' impact on the defense and head coach Sean McVay's intelligence and energy will be enough to vault them to their first winning season since 2003. Also helping their case: The Cardinals are due for a downturn and Seattle's ship looked a little leaky last year. Obviously, there's some concern about how Jared Goff meshes with the new coaching staff and learns a whole new system. But I'll give that staff and running back Todd Gurley the benefit of the doubt. Don't underestimate the impact of veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth on the offensive line, either.

From Schatz:

I'm driving the Rams bandwagon this year. OK, I guess it's more of a minivan, but more folks should be hopping aboard once they realize Phillips' phenomenal record of improving defenses in his first year as coordinator. (I wrote about that in detail here.) The offense isn't going to be good, but there's no way it will be as bad as last year. The 2016 Rams had the fourth-worst offense in the history of our DVOA stats, which stretches all the way back to 1987. The other teams in the bottom dozen improved by an average of three wins the next year, and three of those teams had winning records.

Look, I get that the Fisher to McVay move is a plus automatically, especially with Wade Phillips coming over, but Jared Goff is making that big of a jump?

I guess the additions on the offensive line help drive this idea, but this is crazy to me.

Year one of a new regime?

I guess it worked for the Arizona Cardinals.
*********************************************************************************

THERE ARE 16 COMMENTS.
Hmmm...
"The Cardinals are due for a downturn …But I’ll give [the Rams coaching] staff and running back Todd Gurley the benefit of the doubt."

I guess somehow they deserve "the benefit of the doubt" and the Bruce "3 double-digit wins in 4 seasons" Arians regime doesn’t.

You get Pro Bowls from the top of the draft. You get Super Bowls from the rest of the draft.

Posted by BirdgangRising on Jun 1, 2017 | 5:06 PM
Oh, and Schatz?
"The other teams in the bottom dozen improved by an average of three wins the next year"

Someone needs to tell him that a three win improvement makes them 7-9.

You get Pro Bowls from the top of the draft. You get Super Bowls from the rest of the draft.

Posted by BirdgangRising on Jun 1, 2017 | 5:09 PM
Maybe the theory is they get the average bump to 7-9, then on top of that you add Phillips, Whitworth, and a bounceback from Gurley?
It still seems like a bad prediction though.

I'm a veteran, and I support Kaepernick's protest.

Posted by Wade8813 on Jun 1, 2017 | 5:26 PM

We have heard this about the rams for the past 5 years
"Watch out for the rams this season, this is the year they’ll take the next step" Look, the Cardinals do best when given no respect at all. Let’s not be mad but secretly happy this is happening again. Want more proof? Last off season my father predicted an 8-8 season and I laughed in his face and look like a dope now. His prediction this season is 11-5 or 12-4. Here’s hoping he’s right again

I TAKE THIS SH*T SERIOUSLY!

Posted by Redbird Nation #1 on Jun 1, 2017 | 5:22 PM
old guys are wise
1f60a.png

2017 Cardinals- "The best revenge is massive success" - The Chairman of the Board

Posted by risky business on Jun 1, 2017 | 5:54 PM
if Lambs make it to playoffs
i will Schatz myself

sorry dont see it

2017 Cardinals- "The best revenge is massive success" - The Chairman of the Board

Posted by risky business on Jun 1, 2017 | 5:56 PM
I could see them hanging around in the wildcard race
IF:
Their D makes that improvement
Gurley regains his rookie form
The O Line holds up
Most importantly, Goff shows he can actually play NFL football…

I don’t see all those things happening in 2017, especially Goff. I doubt he ever turns into anything good.

Posted by Spikedriver on Jun 1, 2017 | 6:04 PM

Like being dismissed,
The national press is focused on their favorites, They are still thinking the Cards are Bill’s old team and style of play.. They are not giving the team of Michael and BASK any respect… OK, it is not about what they think but how we do on the field. We have often given the press more credit than they give the Cards….

Posted by Cards will rise up on Jun 1, 2017 | 6:07 PM
This projection by ESPN may explain why their ratings are down.
I mean – why should anyone pay to listen to these idiots.

Posted by rjwil35 on Jun 1, 2017 | 6:58 PM
Is this what we are ranting about today?

The draft is about the future, not a SB run this year

Posted by Gungus on Jun 1, 2017 | 7:44 PM

Kroenke doesn't own playoff teams

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - Don't even know what it means but it sure is cute

Posted by TakeFive on Jun 1, 2017 | 9:02 PM

Largest markets?
Most ridiculous press.

Posted by Jra805 on Jun 1, 2017 | 10:07 PM
Wait, people still go to ESPN for serious content?

Posted by Redbird Thunder on Jun 1, 2017 | 10:11 PM
Only the Lemmings.

Pass and you have an exciting offense that scores. Pound the ball down their throats in the 4th quarter and you win.

Posted by Riggodrill on Jun 2, 2017 | 6:18 AM
I will say this.
I won’t judge any quarterback in his rookie year. I don’t care how bad he played, it’s forgiven and year two should show a very marked improvement. I also have money that defense finally plays to the level of it’s talent. Wade Philipps is a defensive wizard and he’s proven it so many times you’d be a fool to think their D won’t be very tough. Rank teams in the NFC West by their level of improvement.

1. Gotta be 49’rs-New staff, by all accounts solid. Great draft. Big jump up cuz how could they possibly not.
2. Rams. Getting rid of Fisher and getting Wade a huge plus. New start for everyone in LA. They picked up some offensive weapons in the draft for Goff. McVay loves to use the tight end ( listening BA?), which we coincidentally suck at defending.
3. Us? Remains to be seen in my opinion. If our first two picks show up and both JB’s come back 100%, we vault up.
4. Seaturds. They’ve been great for years and thats tough to sustain. I don’t see a big improvement. Ok draft, kinda wait and see. I think Wilson is in for a long year. I love that guy but he has won a lot of games due to his ability to buy time with his legs. He finally started taking some hits and I suspect that will continue this year.

Pass and you have an exciting offense that scores. Pound the ball down their throats in the 4th quarter and you win.

Posted by Riggodrill on Jun 2, 2017 | 6:44 AM

If the Cards don't make the playoffs..
I can honestly say I don’t care who in the NFCW does..

Posted by Ditship on Jun 2, 2017 | 7:43 AM

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This should get a conversation rolling.
For those of you unsure,this is not a rail
on Kroenke thread.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yes!! It's about time the Rams got a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!!

Rams 2015.jpg
GO RAMS!!
addon.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The worst thing ever for a Cards fan, would be a winning season from the Rams....and another losing season behind BA....especially after that 7-9 comment. Rams fans are ALWAYS deep at Glendale stadium....I'd love it...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't want to hear respect until the Rams earn it on the field. But of course I do think we have a chance this year to do something IF our young franchise QB comes in hard and balls.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have said before that I have to see before believing...but there is so much spiked kool-aide swirling here, you can't help but get taken for a waterfall ride!:rockon:

Too many changes over the course of one season to expect a winning season, but a guy can sure hope!

Zero

Pro Bowler
I have said before that I have to see before believing...but there is so much spiked kool-aide swirling here, you can't help but get taken for a waterfall ride!:rockon:

Too many changes over the course of one season to expect a winning season, but a guy can sure hope!
I think for the most part we are being realistic with our expectations.
For me and probably for a lot guys here we just very high on the notion
that for the first time in a long time the arrow is pointed in the right direction.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
The way the NFCW is trending, the Rams could win the division at 8-8

Zero

Pro Bowler
IF our young franchise QB comes in hard and balls.
If he doesn't it won't be from lack of dedication.
Because I know he is bustin his A to get better.
He has all the physical tools,he now has the coaching,
he is giving everything he can to the mental side.
I know I'm a homer ,but I like our odds

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why set the bar so high? This division has been won before with 7 wins.
And is 1 of only 2 divisions where all of its teams have played in the Superbowl in the 21st century....

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think the NFC W is probably the worst division in football in 2017. That said, the Rams have a really good chance of winning the division. Consistently play division teams well. With a better coaching staff will hopefully play other non-division opponents well. I think the Rams end up 9-7 and win the division is a very realistic possibility. Slow starts were a Fisher problem, lack of practice and gameplanning. I doubt we'll see that this year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams fans are ALWAYS deep at Glendale stadium....I'd love it...
The Jiffy pop? The sardine can? It's a really nice place inside but it sure is fugly on the outside.
I was there last season for that delicious win. I took my time exiting my seat, walking out...en route to my car. 60,000 Cards fans shuffling out of that building in shock. Lol.

I'll be there again this season.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I think the NFC W is probably the worst division in football in 2017. That said, the Rams have a really good chance of winning the division. Consistently play division teams well. With a better coaching staff will hopefully play other non-division opponents well. I think the Rams end up 9-7 and win the division is a very realistic possibility. Slow starts were a Fisher problem, lack of practice and gameplanning. I doubt we'll see that this year.
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I think the Seahawks would need to have some injuries or bad luck. Their roster just has more overall talent. Although I would have also said that about the 2004-2007 Rams compared to the rest of the division and they just got worse and worse. I wouldn't put it past the Seahawks to blow up due to infighting either. There have been rumblings...

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
The Jiffy pop? The sardine can? It's a really nice place inside but it sure is fugly on the outside.
I was there last season for that delicious win. I took my time exiting my seat, walking out...en route to my car. 60,000 Cards fans shuffling out of that building in shock. Lol.

I'll be there again this season.

I was there in 2015 when the Rams won, and Gurley had one of his big games. While walking back to our car with my wife, my son, who is also a Rams fan, and his wife, we were threatened more than once about getting our a$$es kicked. As I walked over to one guy, his buddy backed away and told me they were "just kidding around." I told them they were a couple of pu$$ies and walked away. Then one of the guy's wife/girlfriend called him a pu$$y too. I'm going to try and get back this year.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the two reporters comments are quite measured, not over the top at all. Don't see why the Cardinals fans would have a problem with it.........maybe there a bit worried? I know I would be.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Well shit, we might as well pack it in, boys, that guys dad predicts the Cards will go 11-5 or 12-4, it's all over now.