Vetting Potential Trade Partners: Falcons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

By Nick Wagoner

[espn.go.com]

ST. LOUIS -- We're still months away from May's NFL draft, but that doesn't mean it's too early to start looking at the many possible permutations of how things could shake out.

The St. Louis Rams aren't having an open auction for the No. 2 overall pick like they did in 2012, but general manager Les Snead has already indicated a willingness to move it. Without a pair of clear cut top quarterbacks, the market may not be in the hurry to make a move which could leave the Rams waiting until they're on the clock before making a deal. As the combine approaches along with pro days, prospects will become more valued and the market could crystallize.

Free agency is also likely to have an impact on potential trade partners as teams fill needs in other avenues. For now, we'll take a look at a possible Rams trade partner each week for the next six weeks.

To begin, we start with the most logical possibility: the Atlanta Falcons, who hold the No. 6 overall selection.

Why Atlanta makes sense: The ties between the Rams and Falcons run deep. Snead, director of player personnel Taylor Morton and director of pro personnel Ran Carthon came up in the Atlanta organization and still maintain close relationships with Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff and director of player personnel Lionel Vital, among others.

Although it wasn't the trade that drew the most attention of the Rams' deals made in last year's draft, the Rams and Falcons managed to swing a deal sending the Rams' No. 22 pick and seventh-round choice to Atlanta for pick No. 30, a third-round pick and a sixth-round selection. Atlanta drafted cornerback Desmond Trufant and the Rams used No. 30 on linebacker Alec Ogletree in a deal that has worked out well for both teams so far.

The relationships alone should make for some easy conversation between the sides but, of course, the Falcons have to be willing to move up to make something happen. According to ESPN Falcons reporter Vaughn McClure, that willingness appears to be there. Dimitroff told McClure that he will "always consider" making a move, whether it's up or down in the order.

Dimitroff hasn't hesitated to put action behind those words. Beyond the move to get Trufant last year, he made the bold move up for receiver Julio Jones in 2011. That, of course, begs the question of whether there's a player the Falcons would want to move up for this year.

Atlanta is set at quarterback, the one position that generally draws the most interest for a trade up. But the Falcons have big needs for pass rush and offensive line help. Fortunately for the Rams, those are two areas this draft looks to boast some elite talents.

Headlining that group is defensive end Jadeveon Clowney. Clowney is clearly the best pass-rusher in the draft and would be a logical fit in Atlanta's base 4-3 defense. Atlanta finished tied for last in the NFL in sacks in 2013 with 32.

Clowney is nearly certain to be a top-five pick if not the No. 1 overall choice. At No. 6, the Falcons are almost certainly out of range to draft Clowney and would need to make a move up to get him. Should Houston opt for a quarterback, the Falcons and Rams could certainly have discussions for Clowney.

Likewise, the early returns indicate a pair of top tackles -- Texas A&M's Jake Matthews and Auburn's Greg Robinson -- who could go in the top five. If Atlanta opts to bolster its offensive line or if Clowney goes first, the Rams and Falcons could strike a deal to give Atlanta the chance to have their pick of the two stud tackles.

Linebackers such as UCLA's Anthony Barr and Buffalo's Khalil Mack also figure to go high in the draft, though Atlanta likely wouldn't need to make a move to get either.

For what it's worth, Dimitroff praised those prospects to McClure this week in Mobile.

Why Atlanta doesn't make sense: There was probably no team in the NFL racked by injury more than the Falcons in 2013. Atlanta was a preseason Super Bowl favorite and fell to a disappointing 4-12 season. While the Falcons still have plenty of talent in place, the injuries exposed a lack of depth which kept Atlanta from at least reaching the level of mediocrity.

Given that lack of depth, the Falcons might not be inclined to give up extra picks to make a move with the knowledge that they need to add more players to the roster. It might even spur Dimitroff to be more interested in a move down than a move up.

While the Falcons hit it big with the addition of Jones the last time they moved up, they'd once again likely have to offer up a big package of picks to get to No. 2. It likely wouldn't be on the level of the deal the Rams made with Washington but would still cost a sizable amount of draft capital. There's also the question of whether teams will be more gun-shy about making a deal to move into that spot after seeing what happened with the Rams-Redskins trade.

The Rams may also have some hesitation about moving out of the top five altogether. They moved to No. 6 in the original trade with Washington but did so knowing that they could still land a player they like later. It's too early to say how many players the Rams view in such high regard, but if moving out of the top five would take them out of the running for Clowney, Matthews and Robinson, it's possible they might hesitate to deal with Atlanta.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Atlanta has too many holes to move up for a specific need not named QB.

At #6 they still land a player of need.

Unlike Cleveland, Jax, and Minnesota who lack a major void at the most important position on the team.

fearsomefour

Legend

Unlike Cleveland, Jax, and Minnesota who lack a major void at the most important position on the team.

Three things make draft guys go insane from time to time. QBs, LT and elite pass rushers. I could actually see Atlanta making that move. If they think their Titanic like fall from NFC Title game to cellar-dweller was because of injury....I could see them moving up for Clowney. They also may view it as a way to more quickly compete with Brees and co. in New Orleans.

Ramifications

Three things make draft guys go insane from time to time. QBs, LT and elite pass rushers. I could actually see Atlanta making that move. If they think their Titanic like fall from NFC Title game to cellar-dweller was because of injury....I could see them moving up for Clowney. They also may view it as a way to more quickly compete with Brees and co. in New Orleans.

and Cam Newton.

Good point. You always want build your team to win the division.

How about trade with Cleveland for the 4th and 22nd picks then trade with a team wanting Clowney and hoping to leap frog Atlanta (say the Titans) for a first second and fourth. Come away with 3 firsts, 2 seconds and 2 fourths, or maybe trade those two fourths for a third and have 7 picks in the first three rounds.

RFIP

Mike mith's seat is getting VERY warm, if he feels Clowney is needed to get his team back on track in a KC=type one year turn around he'd do it imo.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
How about trade with Cleveland for the 4th and 22nd picks then trade with a team wanting Clowney and hoping to leap frog Atlanta (say the Titans) for a first second and fourth. Come away with 3 firsts, 2 seconds and 2 fourths, or maybe trade those two fourths for a third and have 7 picks in the first three rounds.
I'm not sure we could get this fortunate, but it'd be nice.

Ramifications

Cam Newton is terrible. That team was 0-4 in the regular season when they gave up over 23 points. All about the D in Carolina.

Terrible might be harsh. He was close to a 90% QBR which was about average, which was better than Brady, Luck and Stafford (88.8 same as Dalton, within a few points of Ryan and Bradford in a career high). He had a 24-13 TD-INT ratio. We should factor in his rushing prowess, where he has 2,000 yards and 28 TDs since 2011.

They have spent a lot of money on RBs, and DeAngelo Williams is talented, but Stewart IMO is their best RB, and he can't get on the field. Steve Smith is great, but isn't in his prime any more. Olsen is a good TE, but not Graham or Gronk. CAR is a team that can't seem to find a WR2 opposite Smith (and when he retires, they need a WR1). QBs aren't always the only reason a team loses. He was terrible in the playoff game against SF.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm banking on Minnesota moving up to our slot to draft Manziel/Bridgewater.
Get a 2015 1st,then draft who's there at #8. OT Matthews,WR Watkins,OT Robinson,CB Dennard...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
At #6 they still land a player of need. Unlike Cleveland, Jax, and Minnesota who lack a major void at the most important position on the team.

Right now I see the draft going close to this:
Houston #1-DE
St Louis #2-OT
Jax #3-QB
Cleveland #4-QB
Oakland #5- WR or QB

Thus the Falcons will be in position to select one of the best two OT's or they get a great pass rusher DE/OLB Barr. Atlanta is in great shape to get great prospects both filling their two major needs. At #6 I see no reason to move up. I certainly do not see Atlanta as a trade partner in this years draft. On the other hand I see the Browns & Vikings going at it with Snead for our #2 pick so the winner of this fight gets to select the top QB they desire.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I would say Cleveland but I doubt they move up from 4 to 2 unless they feel QB's will be taken in the first 3 slots. I doubt that happens but it could. I'd tell Cleveland 2 1's or nada and be more realistic with everyone else. If they feel cornered then they'll do it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I would prefer to be @ #4 that's it. Moving down to #8 is just too far to go down IMO. It would cost the Vikings much to get us to move down 6 spots. All the Browns give up is the pick they got for a slow non effective RB Richardson and their #4 pick not a bad trade for them.

1-Houston-DE
2-Vikings-QB (trade)
3-Jax- QB
4-Cleveland QB
5-Oakland-WR Watkins
6-Atlanta OT
7-Tampa Bay-OT or Barr
#8- StLouis likely miss out on both OT's & WR leaving us looking @ two LB'ers or CB Dennard as the best prospects. I am not happy with this.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would say Cleveland but I doubt they move up from 4 to 2 unless they feel QB's will be taken in the first 3 slots. I doubt that happens but it could. I'd tell Cleveland 2 1's or nada and be more realistic with everyone else. If they feel cornered then they'll do it.

Ok what happens when the Browns find out that the Vikings are moving up to take a QB ? So now the Browns instead of having the opportunity to take the second QB after the Jags takes Bridgewater now the Vikings have the chance to take the QB in front of them that the Browns want.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A Browns beat writer was on the radio, Colin Cowherds show, and said there are rumors they want Manziel. If that's the case, provided the hype machine has done its job, they have to move into the Rams slot with JAX sitting right in front of them.

RFT

UDFA
A Browns beat writer was on the radio, Colin Cowherds show, and said there are rumors they want Manziel. If that's the case, provided the hype machine has done its job, they have to move into the Rams slot with JAX sitting right in front of them.
That would be a good start Les!!