Veterans on the roster bubble for all 32 teams (Tre Mason)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Veterans on the roster bubble for all 32 teams
By ESPN.com

Are Devin Hester's days numbered in Atlanta? Will the Giants have to cut Andre Williams? NFL Nation reporters select the veteran who might not make the 2016 roster of the team they cover.

Los Angeles Rams

Running back Tre Mason

Mason found himself in the doghouse last season, when he missed the bus for a road trip to Baltimore. He didn't help his cause by producing just 2.8 yards per carry and struggling to protect the ball when he played. And he really compounded matters during the offseason, when he was arrested and charged with suspicion of possession of marijuana, reckless driving, failure to register a motor vehicle and resisting arrest. The Rams have some intriguing young backs behind Todd Gurley and Benny Cunningham, which means if Mason doesn't get it together, he could be on the way out. -- Nick Wagoner

[espn.go.com]

The Man who will replace Mason

1574195.jpg

JC-3

UDFA
Name
JC-3
"suspicion of possession of marijuana" ... That's not even a crime WTF

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Seems like he sulked his way through last year. His production fell off a cliff and Benny was way more productive. He probably wouldn't mind being cut, but he should be careful what he wishes for because he most likely would be backup elsewhere as well.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately he didn't make the most of his chances last year - if he's cut, he's cut - I'd rather we trade him for draft collateral though ;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would prefer that the Ram Org. hold off on the release of Tre Mason & Nick Foles just before the trading deadline to other NFL teams when their value is peeked. Rams need 2017 draft picks.

By that time Mason's lawyers will have muddied up real clear facts & should put Mason's nasty stinky :poop: down the sewer as they usually do :huh: for mess ups like Mason. The Fact that both would be bargains cap wise is the attraction for other teams. Snead should have their roster spots ready to be filled from his stash on the PS.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I guess technically he is one... but calling Mason a veteran doesn't seem right. He hasn't earned that title if you're asking me. I don't see the offense suffering one bit if he's cut.

To me... he's Pead2.0

I cringe when he enters the game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Unfortunately he didn't make the most of his chances last year - if he's cut, he's cut - I'd rather we trade him for draft collateral though ;)
This ^ does seem like the best course of action! do this an tell Mason ..

125dfbbb1bdf15ba7f2b4461641d7903902eca47d82a45dba756579b0164cc3d.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/6...tre-mason-otas-roster-depth-chart-todd-gurley

Tre Mason And Lost Causes: Has He Played His Last Snap For The Rams?
By 3k@3k_ on Jun 9, 2016

usa-today-9035939.0.jpg

Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

Tre Mason is a fair microcosm of the Rams' problems in the last four years in building out a roster and getting over the .500 hump.

In last year's roster preview series, I summed up the centrality of it in Mason's preview:

The bigger issue is how the Rams have managed themselves into this glut. They delayed playing Zac Stacy in favor of starting Daryl Richardson in 2013. Once Stacy proved to be the better back (which he was the entire time), Richardson was cast off.

The Rams then drafted Mason , a move I was critical of at the time with Stacy having resolved the major RB issue and outstanding issues elsewhere on the roster (hello, offensive line). Nonetheless, Mason had a very fine rookie season statistically.

Now, the Rams have drafted [Todd] Gurley, a move I was critical of the time with Mason and Stacy having resolved the major RB issue and outstanding issues elsewhere on the roster (hello, offensive line).

Gurley would go on to have a wonderful rookie season, superior to Mason's the year prior, though the Rams' offense overall was much worse (again, if that doesn't help clarify the limitations of the running back position, you're either not paying attention or actively ignoring it).

In April 2015, we were wondering if Mason was headed for a breakout season.

In May 2015, we were wondering if both Mason and Gurley could eclipse the 1,000 yard mark (nearly 2/3rds of poll respondents in that one said the chances were 50% or better that they would...)

In March of this year, Mason was arrested on multiple charges ("resisting arrest, possession of cannabis, reckless driving and failure to register a motor vehicle") compounded with being treated at the hospital for undisclosed injuries.

The court initially served a warrant for his arrest before retracting it due to being sent to an incorrect address...perhaps he didn't hear about it on the internet. The case is currently scheduled on the docket for July 28. With that case outstanding, Mason has been absent from the Rams' organized team activities as part of Phase III of the 2016 NFL Offseason, something Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher addressed yesterday after practice:

(On if the running back depth chart has become more unsettled with Tre Mason’s absence)

"No, it’s settled right now. I’m pleased with where it’s going. Malcolm’s (Brown) done a great job there as the third, and Chase (Reynolds) is always a guy that you can count on. And we have a couple young guys that we’re going to let play. In our minds, we just have to prepare ourselves that Tre’s not going to be here."

With Just Todd Gurley atop the depth chart and plenty of options in the RB depth chart including Benny Cunningham, Brown, UDFA Aaron Green (roster preview) and newly-signed Terrence Magee, there's no certainty that Mason regains his prior role (if that could even be defined) in the position rotation...and no certainty he regains one at all.

Which leaves us here, on June 9, 2016, wondering if Tre Mason, the third-round pick for the Rams in the 2014 NFL Draft, has played his last snap for the Rams.