Veteran Wideout Pettis Embracing Competition/Rams.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Veteran Wideout Pettis Embracing Competition
By Jonathan Webb

http://www.stlouisrams.com/cda-web/...Competition-&section=news-and-events&vv=print

Austin Pettis makes no bones about the challenge ahead of him entering his fourth NFL season in St. Louis.

The fourth-year receiver holds the distinction of the longest-tenured Ram at his position, and as a result, is the only member of the team’s receiving corps that was not acquired by the current coaching staff. As that last remaining vestige of a previous administration’s receiving group, Pettis doesn’t avoid framing this year’s roster competition in terms of an uphill battle.

“Obviously, I’m the only receiver that the current staff didn’t bring in,” Pettis said. “I know they have big expectations for the guys they brought in, so for myself, I’m just hoping I get the opportunities and a shot at making this team this year.”

Just a year ago, Pettis appeared to be positioning himself for a premium role in the Rams passing game. Pettis got off to the best start of his career last fall, becoming a reliable red-zone target for QB Sam Bradford through much of the first half of the season. Through five games, he led the Rams with four touchdown receptions.

But while he appeared on his way to a more prominent role within the team’s offensive scheme, his rapport with Bradford was interrupted in Week 7, when Bradford was lost for the year with a torn ACL at Carolina. No receiver was likely affected more adversely than Pettis, who totaled just 13 receptions over the season’s final nine games, as the Rams moved to an offense more dedicated to its ground attack, as well as yielding more game reps to third-round draft choice Stedman Bailey.

The numbers have gotten even more challenging for Pettis since the 2013 season finale. During the offseason, the Rams added veteran receiver Kenny Britt, who, along with his large frame and upper-echelon physical attributes, has previous history with Head Coach Jeff Fisher. By all accounts, Britt is off to a strong—albeit early—start in competition for a spot on the 53-man roster. The dwindling numbers among receivers acquired prior to Fisher’s tenure in St. Louis has not eluded Pettis’ notice.

“After Sam got hurt, they really wanted to go in another direction and get the guys they brought in involved a lot more. For myself, I was the odd man out, and I kind of had to sit back and take on a smaller role, and make do with the opportunities I was given.”

Given the production he started last year with, Pettis certainly doesn’t view his current role in the roster’s numbers game to be ideal, but has embraced the challenge of beating out a host of fresher faces for a spot on the 53-man roster.

“I felt like I got a pretty fair shot in the beginning of the year last year, and obviously, circumstances changed with injuries and just the way the season went,” Pettis said. “We had to get a lot of guys some experience that I was able to get in recent years.”

While he battles for his own roster spot, in the meantime, Pettis is also tasked with speeding the learning curve for some of the younger Ram receivers.

Harkening back to his days as a rookie in 2011, Pettis battled for practice reps while working behind Brandon Lloyd, Mark Clayton and veterans. Now in the position of the veteran mentor, Pettis looks to return the favor to the current crop of young Rams.

“I know when I first came in, there were guys who were in my position, and they did everything in their will and power to help me,” Pettis said. “Now I just want to return that favor and at the same time, get better myself and let the chips fall where they may.”

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He's a good role player, he'll be on the field on goal line situations and 4th downs, he has great hands.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Pettis can be our secret weapon in the clutch.

It's going to be a tough set of roster decisions at WR.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
There's something about Pettis that reminds me of Ricky Proehl. He makes the tough catches when we need it the most. He is a guy that for some reason is able to get the 3rd and 5 yard catch to move the chains. He's able to get the tough catch in the end zone. However, I don't think he's going to be anything more than that. He just doesn't have the speed or the size.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There's something about Pettis that reminds me of Ricky Proehl. He makes the tough catches when we need it the most. He is a guy that for some reason is able to get the 3rd and 5 yard catch to move the chains. He's able to get the tough catch in the end zone. However, I don't think he's going to be anything more than that. He just doesn't have the speed or the size.

Agree.

But every team has a place for a guy like Pettis.

Our roster? There is a lot of competition for that 6 spot, no question.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I agree with all you said except about his size. He's 6'3"! What I don't understand is where his speed went. He played much faster at BSU.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's 6' 2" and 205, so hardly an imposing guy I think that's what brokeu meant.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There are many things to like about Austin Pettis, he has great hands and as a punt returner, he does not fumble, however, because of his lack of speed, he does have trouble with seperation and most of the time the DB is right in his hip pocket.

Hey, he's lasted much longer than I thought he would because I was convinced Greg Salas was far better, but Bradford trusts Pettis. Every year many want the Rams to get rid of him and we want to find someone else that offers more upside, but in the end Austin Pettis is the last man standing and no one can debate his durability.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I agree with all you said except about his size. He's 6'3"! What I don't understand is where his speed went. He played much faster at BSU.

He never had speed ran like a 4.7 at the combine, he played faster at Boise State because the DB's were much slower, however, he has the best hands of all the Rams receivers.

Memphis Ram

Legend
6' 2 1/2" 209 lbs coming out of college. IMO, Pettis is the best slot WR on the team right now. And if he mastered the push off ala Boldin, Carter, Irvin could be a nice possession #2 type.

Today, Pettis gets decent separation, IMO. But, he'd probably be better suited for a precision offense that relies upon more timing routes. ie. the ball has to be there on his breaks. Of course, he seems to have the hands to make plays when covered anyway, IMO. And as I've said many times, he's a back shoulder pass just waiting to happen.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Austin Pettis ran the slowest 40 of any Ram vet wide receiver, crossing the finish line at 4.56. Yet during the 2011 NFL Combine Austin Pettis ran the shuttle in 3.88 seconds, fastest among the receivers at the 2011 combine.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Austin Pettis ran the slowest 40 of any Ram vet wide receiver, crossing the finish line at 4.56. Yet during the 2011 NFL Combine Austin Pettis ran the shuttle in 3.88 seconds, fastest among the receivers at the 2011 combine.
Yup. And that's why hes always open underneath and in intermediate zones.

FRO

Legend
Pettis isn't great. He is a role player who in the right role can be good. He also can contribute on special teams.

lockdnram21

Legend
For his sake i hope he makes the team and does well. But for the teams sake i hope the rest of the receivers step there game up and make him not needed