Vet Ram Fan camp report...here it is!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I had Brown penciled in as #39, that's why I couldn't place him! I knew that was #21 Kayvon Webster! and I "Spaced-Out on Kupp" Should have remembered, I'm still waking-up this morning!;):coffee: Thanks for Dan O's #8, I didn't have it! Not that I think he will be with us very long!:mrburnsevil:

I only knew Malcom was 34 because Vet Ram had mentioned capturing a picture of Brown pulling in a nice one hander on the sideline.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I only knew Malcom was 34 because Vet Ram had mentioned capturing a picture of Brown pulling in a nice one hander on the sideline.
Nice reading comprehension and recall!

rdw

Pro Bowler
Let me start with my usual disclaimer; I am not a pro-scout, I am not a football whisperer, I am not a football guru. I am just a longtime fan of the Rams and I have played, coached and watched football for a very long time so some things I know, but by no means am I all knowing. These are just my observations for those that can’t attend.

There, now that we got the legalize out of the way, let’s begin…

Weather at camp was perfect! Cool breeze blowing at UCI. Shade canopies provided by the Rams were a welcome relief from the sun. I only stayed under them a little while. Couldn’t get the right angles for my photo shoot otherwise.

Tru Johnson got a lot of the boo birds going when he came out of the locker room. He knows this is going to happen and puts it behind him. I wonder how long he’ll be able to ignore those type of fans?

The tempo of camp practice is very much upbeat as compared to last year. No waisted time or motions. The assistant coaches are hustling their butts off out there. Camp only ran for two hours and there was one break in between those two hours. Coach McVey was very much involved with the offense today. At one point stopping a play before the snap during the 11x11 to chew some butt. Too far away to make out what was said or even who it was directed to but his body language spoke loud enough. I didn’t see Son of a Bum out there. Bones was doing his thing early on. You can just see the passion in his work.

Now for my big announcement. I tweeted that we had a good combination in QB/WR/TE and @Dogersrf was kind enough to post my tweets. What I really wanted to say was that THIS group is going to light the NFL on fire! Guys, they are already clicking. I would add Kupp to the mix also but Woods and Goff are definitely on the same page and Higbee and Everett will be solid! Dare I say this combo will be better than anything Brady and company has ever had? I feel very strongly about this group even after one practice witnessed. I just can’t say enough about them.

Malcom Brown had a remarkable one-handed catch down the left sideline during passing drills. I got a great shot of it that will be posted with a link. Kupp missed a sure one right in his hands on a crossing route. Very rare. He redeemed himself during 11x11, getting behind the DB’s (Tru and Joyner) on a great route and took it to the house. Josh Reynolds has some soft hands and is aware of his surroundings on an out route that Myles Simmons tweeted about. Got pics of that too!

As much as the WR’s were catching, the DB’s were defending. Webster played Wood’s perfectly along the left sideline and go into position to break of the pass. Again, got some great pics of that too! Both were fighting for the ball. Tavon on a crossing route caught one from Goff and them got sandwiched by the unknown defenders. Remember, no pads, no contact. Someone didn’t get the memo. All the DB’s looked very good in warm ups. Fluid hip movement and eyes and hands in sync for sudden balls thrown their way. John Johnson is someone to keep an eye. Big kid and very agile.

Our QB’s are doing well. Heck even Dan O. launched a deep one on post route that the receiver had to wait on then used his body to shield the ball and brought it down between two closing defenders. Of course, I didn’t get that one on film. Guy standing next to me says “That’s a good quarterback! Who is that?”. I set him straight.

You have all heard Goff feels more comfortable out there. It shows. He knows what he is doing and is doing it well. Great progress from last year. He calls the plays, reads the D, makes his audible and it all comes together in an instant. Mannion is doing just fine. Threw a couple of ducks but is a serviceable backup but not a long term or starting caliber QB. Dan O. is Dan O.

Todd Gurley is hungry. He broke a couple of runs up the middle with some nice cutbacks. Found the hole/lane and took it. One run he had was blown dead but he was already in the secondary and took off for the end zone with Tru chasing him. Whistles start blaring to stop the play but Todd would have no part of it. Into the end zone he ran. The crowd gives him a big cheer for that. He was also catching passes on screens out of the back field. Brown was doing the same and even Aaron Green got in the mix if only with the second or third string.

Speaking of strings, first team WR/TE groups consisted of Woods, Kupp, Austin, Higbee/Everett.

Defense was a little tough to watch as was the offensive line. I will say this. Whitworth is a mountain of a man! Biggest guy out there by far! Second is Havenstien. I can’t really comment any further on their play as I was standing 50 yards away in the end zone.

I think I covered most of it. Let me get my photo’s uploaded and I start a new thread with the link to them.

Ask my any questions and I’ll try and jog my memory to answer them.View attachment 20733 View attachment 20734 View attachment 20735
QTUrzN1.gif

bdfitz

UDFA
Just want to add my thanks. Love the enthusiasm but so much has to go right. I do feel better about Goff and Gurley this year and Kupp, Everett and Woods are definitely welcome. I'm glad they kept Brown. Let's hope there's some middle ground with Donald and a bridge contract in good faith and Tru at least appreciates the $$ in his last year. Change is constant.

Those first 2 photos are as good as it gets. great eye!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I am not a pro-scout, I am not a football whisperer, I am not a football guru. I am just a longtime fan of the Rams and I have played, coached and watched football for a very long time so some things I know, but by no means am I all knowing.
YOU ARE NOW AN OFFICAL MAESTER OF CAMP REPORTS!

Seriously, good work. Are they hitting yet? That's when I'd like to go...

however, why would people boo a rams player at practice?
Because some feel Tru doesn't wanna be here..and played hardball with the negotiations....and it's their right to boo. I'd rather boo at mistakes, but that's just me.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

now i'm really gonna drink the kool aid after that great report.

great to see the country club atmosphere is long gone.

however, why would people boo a rams player at practice? freaking idiots.

Yeah, I could never boo a current Rams player no matter what. If and when he switches teams thats a different story. :rant:

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Really appreciate these reports brother!

One thing that bugs me though is TRU getting booed. It's not like he doesn't want to be here..Give the guy a break already. He can't sign something that hasn't been offered.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
did they pay to go to practice?
Someone's time always costs something...the travel expense..perhaps these fans paid for souvineers....guess what kurt, you can express your opinion as a fan in any way they choose....it's Tru's job to make them stop by playing out of his mind...if he keeps playing like he has, average, he'll be getting boo'd during games.....that's the entertainment industry....love it or leave it

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Awesome report! Keep 'em coming; this St. Louisan appreciates it a ton.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
How decisive was Goff? How long did it take him to get the ball out of his hands? How did his footwork and balance look?

(Overly excited!)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Someone's time always costs something...the travel expense..perhaps these fans paid for souvineers....guess what kurt, you can express your opinion as a fan in any way they choose....it's Tru's job to make them stop by playing out of his mind...if he keeps playing like he has, average, he'll be getting boo'd during games.....that's the entertainment industry....love it or leave it

You know what, they're fuckwits. There's no other way to describe them.

Ramzheart

Rookie
Let me start with my usual disclaimer; I am not a pro-scout, I am not a football whisperer, I am not a football guru. I am just a longtime fan of the Rams and I have played, coached and watched football for a very long time so some things I know, but by no means am I all knowing. These are just my observations for those that can’t attend.

There, now that we got the legalize out of the way, let’s begin…

Weather at camp was perfect! Cool breeze blowing at UCI. Shade canopies provided by the Rams were a welcome relief from the sun. I only stayed under them a little while. Couldn’t get the right angles for my photo shoot otherwise.

Tru Johnson got a lot of the boo birds going when he came out of the locker room. He knows this is going to happen and puts it behind him. I wonder how long he’ll be able to ignore those type of fans?

The tempo of camp practice is very much upbeat as compared to last year. No waisted time or motions. The assistant coaches are hustling their butts off out there. Camp only ran for two hours and there was one break in between those two hours. Coach McVey was very much involved with the offense today. At one point stopping a play before the snap during the 11x11 to chew some butt. Too far away to make out what was said or even who it was directed to but his body language spoke loud enough. I didn’t see Son of a Bum out there. Bones was doing his thing early on. You can just see the passion in his work.

Now for my big announcement. I tweeted that we had a good combination in QB/WR/TE and @Dogersrf was kind enough to post my tweets. What I really wanted to say was that THIS group is going to light the NFL on fire! Guys, they are already clicking. I would add Kupp to the mix also but Woods and Goff are definitely on the same page and Higbee and Everett will be solid! Dare I say this combo will be better than anything Brady and company has ever had? I feel very strongly about this group even after one practice witnessed. I just can’t say enough about them.

Malcom Brown had a remarkable one-handed catch down the left sideline during passing drills. I got a great shot of it that will be posted with a link. Kupp missed a sure one right in his hands on a crossing route. Very rare. He redeemed himself during 11x11, getting behind the DB’s (Tru and Joyner) on a great route and took it to the house. Josh Reynolds has some soft hands and is aware of his surroundings on an out route that Myles Simmons tweeted about. Got pics of that too!

As much as the WR’s were catching, the DB’s were defending. Webster played Wood’s perfectly along the left sideline and go into position to break of the pass. Again, got some great pics of that too! Both were fighting for the ball. Tavon on a crossing route caught one from Goff and them got sandwiched by the unknown defenders. Remember, no pads, no contact. Someone didn’t get the memo. All the DB’s looked very good in warm ups. Fluid hip movement and eyes and hands in sync for sudden balls thrown their way. John Johnson is someone to keep an eye. Big kid and very agile.

Our QB’s are doing well. Heck even Dan O. launched a deep one on post route that the receiver had to wait on then used his body to shield the ball and brought it down between two closing defenders. Of course, I didn’t get that one on film. Guy standing next to me says “That’s a good quarterback! Who is that?”. I set him straight.

You have all heard Goff feels more comfortable out there. It shows. He knows what he is doing and is doing it well. Great progress from last year. He calls the plays, reads the D, makes his audible and it all comes together in an instant. Mannion is doing just fine. Threw a couple of ducks but is a serviceable backup but not a long term or starting caliber QB. Dan O. is Dan O.

Todd Gurley is hungry. He broke a couple of runs up the middle with some nice cutbacks. Found the hole/lane and took it. One run he had was blown dead but he was already in the secondary and took off for the end zone with Tru chasing him. Whistles start blaring to stop the play but Todd would have no part of it. Into the end zone he ran. The crowd gives him a big cheer for that. He was also catching passes on screens out of the back field. Brown was doing the same and even Aaron Green got in the mix if only with the second or third string.

Speaking of strings, first team WR/TE groups consisted of Woods, Kupp, Austin, Higbee/Everett.

Defense was a little tough to watch as was the offensive line. I will say this. Whitworth is a mountain of a man! Biggest guy out there by far! Second is Havenstien. I can’t really comment any further on their play as I was standing 50 yards away in the end zone.

I think I covered most of it. Let me get my photo’s uploaded and I start a new thread with the link to them.

Ask my any questions and I’ll try and jog my memory to answer them.View attachment 20733 View attachment 20734 View attachment 20735

Awesome read and pic's! Thanks for your assessment, it sounds very encouraging and at the very least seems like we are showing progress and it should only get better! Sounds like theyre grooming a nice young core of players!

With what you observed with the QB's, why do you think a select group are pushing for start Mannion? There was even article in the LA Times indicating how good of a camp Mannions having?! It just seems that some are just trying to create dissension...

Im just going to support this new coaching staff and entrust that they will make the best decisions for the team!

I look forward to future posts!