Vet QBs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
There may be varying opinions on who the Rams should pick up following final cuts, but IMO there are guys who have been cut who would give us a better chance to win than Clemens. I know Fish & Vince Young weren't best buds in Tennessee, but I think Young is a solid backup and I was mildly surprised that he was cut by GB. Your thoughts?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
At this point (love him or hate him) Clemens is intimately familiar with the offense and gives the team the best chance to succeed in the VERY UNLIKELY chance that Bradford misses time. I don't know that they'd want to put someone in there who has to learn the system and never repped it. They'd have to severely limit the amount of plays they could run if he (Young) was the QB.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The thing that needs to be pointed out, and it was by Fisher himself..... Everyone is basing most of their "evaluation" of Kellen Clemens on his Preseason Performances, which is pretty much all we see.

But, IMO, he is the kind of guy, who may not always look pretty doing it, and might not be "conventional", but he always seems to find a way to make plays. He made enough plays in the Cleveland game to give us a chance to win. He stunk it up against Green Bay, for reasons not all under his control. Then he plays well, against Baltimore and wins the job.

When put in a game situation, he is, the better option.

Even Fisher recognizes:

(On how much QB Kellen Clemens helped his cause for the No. 2 quarterback spot last night against the Ravens after his performance against Green Bay)

“We take everything into consideration. His rough night in Green Bay – played a little bit later, didn’t have as great a supporting cast, and Green Bay was doing a lot of exotic pressures. He was under siege. Last night, he had protection, which he would if he’s going to be in the game with the starters. I thought he executed and did a nice job.”

The bottom line, there just aren't many GOOD backup type QBs in the league anymore. Overall, if you are any good as a QB, you are most likely STARTING.

moklerman

Warner-phile
What is it about Vince Young that makes people completely forget just how horrible he is? I think QB's that can run even just a little bit are even more popular than the backup QB nowadays.

A55VA6

Legend
I don't see the point in bringing in a vet QB when we already have one..

moklerman

Warner-phile
A55VA6 said:
I don't see the point in bringing in a vet QB when we already have one..
No kidding. Clemens would be very far down the list if at all as a starter but as a backup he's pretty much perfect. He's cheap, knows his role, knows the offense and can stumble into some production if need be. And there's no concern about him going on suicide watch or just losing his mind.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm still open to bringing in a young, talented QB, who we may think could have a future, and then have Clemens groom him. This would even apply to him being on the PS, it could give us a head start, and save us a draft pick in the future, if someone works out for us. I don't think Austin Davis is the guy.

I liked Matt Scott in college, who got released, for instance.