Very Disappointing If True: "rams Gm Doesn't Believe No. 1 Wr Is A Need"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Rams GM doesn't believe No. 1 WR is a need

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer

[www.nfl.com]

The St. Louis Rams entered this season with a group of wide receivers boasting just 1,371 career yards combined. Just four teams since 1991 came into a campaign with less real estate at the position.

With or without Sam Bradford at the controls, St. Louis struggled to move the ball through the air in 2013, throwing for fewer yards (3,125) than 26 other NFL teams. Their leading receiver was Jared Cook, a tight end, and no wideout accounted for more than 40 receptions or 600 yards.

Despite those ill results, general manager Les Snead doesn't believe the Rams need to hunt for a proven No. 1 receiver.

"I go back to this and the answer is really 'no' on that," Snead said last week, per Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com. "I think our receivers right now, I truly believe as they progress and the oldest guy just finished his third year, we cannot have another receiver around here and we're going to be a good football team."

St. Louis hasn't had a receiver cross the 700-yard mark since Torry Holt did the deed in 2008. Snead, however, isn't married to statistics, emphasizing that "teams win" -- not players -- saying: "We're in this fantasy football type age, and I think if you look at seven of the top 10 pass catchers, seven of the top 10 didn't make the playoffs."

Still, Tavon Austin was widely expected to blow up as a rookie, only to stay stuck in the mud for much of the season in coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's vanilla air attack.

Flashes of potential from Brian Quick and leading wideout Chris Givens have the Rams holding out hope that one of their many draft picks will bloom. St. Louis used a first-rounder on Austin in May and spent a second on Quick and a fourth on Givens in 2012. They dropped a third-round pick on Austin Pettis the season before and made Cook their big offseason free-agent acquisition in March.

Snead's message is clear: He isn't in the mood to burn another high pick when so much young potential -- albeit entirely unproven -- already sits on the roster.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Like I just said on the PD...he might not 'need' one...doesn't mean they won't be interested if that player is sitting there begging to be picked.

Lot's of quality players at positions the Rams need. I think we will get someone good...be it WR, CB, OT...whatever.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Did Snead say anything last year or the year before like this? Just wondering.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I feel sick...

This all comes down to Quick. If he passes on Watkins because he thinks Quick is so good then that's a strike for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lesson

Oh, really?
If true, I don't see why there would be a need to be disappointed. The Rams have drafted 5 WRs the past 3 years that are currently on the roster. Adding a young WR won't do anything to bump the WR corps from it is, IMO. One of the WRs currently on the roster will step up. And the Rams don't need a "#1 WR" in the true sense, as Demoff pretty much alluded before the season that the Rams aren't likely to concentrate on one WR per se, and that the ball will be spread out. I still think that comment holds value today.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
If true, I don't see why there would be a need to be disappointed. The Rams have drafted 5 WRs the past 3 years that are currently on the roster. Adding a young WR won't do anything to bump the WR corps from it is, IMO. One of the WRs currently on the roster will step up. And the Rams don't need a "#1 WR" in the true sense, as Demoff pretty much alluded before the season that the Rams aren't likely to concentrate on one WR per se, and that the ball will be spread out. I still think that comment holds value today.

exactly.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not going to read too much into anything.

Once the scouts report back, the combine finishes, a WR could be in the crosshairs.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I'm not going to read too much into anything.

Once the scouts report back, the combine finishes, a WR could be in the crosshairs.

I agree. Things can change between now and then. Plus he's a smart guy. He isn't going to reveal his hand 4 months in advance.

V3

Hall of Fame
Considering the defenses we play, a true #1 is probably needed more than people want to admit. I don't see it on this roster. Also, if you want Austin to really flourish you'll probably need someone to draw the defense away. I'm not sure that will happen with a bunch of #2's and #3's.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
WTF is a true #1 QR and how do you tell before they have played a down in the NFL with which ever team it is that drafts them?????

There is NO WR that comes out of college and you automatically say we are going to throw the ball to this guy 10 times a game and he is going to gain 1200 yards and score 15 TDs a year for the next 8 or 10 years. There just isn't.

You can guess you can wish you can speculate but there is no crystal ball out there that can predict that. Otherwise every team in the league would have THAT guy.

Last year the Rams were 4-1-1 in division with LESS talent at WR than they had this year. They are not going to target 1 guy 10 times a game every game, it just isn;t going to happen. Maybe Cook and Bradford click and he gets 7 ot 8 a game for half of the season. The WRs are going to get 4 or 5 targets a game and they are going to try and have a balanced attack where they run 30 times a game and throw 30 times a game. Those 30 throws are going to be distributed to 7 or 8 guys including TEs and RBs do the math.

Top 10 defense and top 15 offense and the Rams will be in the playoffs and hopefully peaking at playoff time.

Alan

Legend
Everyone should know immediately what this disinformation means. We are seriously considering taking a WR in the 1st round. Probably Watkins.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Everyone should know immediately what this disinformation means. We are seriously considering taking a WR in the 1st round. Probably Watkins.

:slap: Of course what was I thinking!!!!:nobait:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It's been pretty sad the WRs we've had here since Holt left. We still need a #1 goto guy, and although Givens showed promise last year, no one on the roster comes close to what we need.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I'd take that with a pinch of salt to be honest.

I'd rather a #1, but would a rookie be able to do that? it would put a lot of pressure on them straight away and you know what the media's like if they don't perform for a game or two...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd take that with a pinch of salt to be honest.

I'd rather a #1, but would a rookie be able to do that? it would put a lot of pressure on them straight away and you know what the media's like if they don't perform for a game or two...

Interesting, if I'm following you... Snead might pick a WR, but the kid avoids excessive pressure because we "don't need a saviour".

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Anyone who thinks this is smokescreen and that he is trying to throw teams off our scent is smokin' sumpthin THROUGH a screen. IMO Snead is NOT that smart. How many times have we heard him mutter "I'll say this...."...and then stumble all over his words and actually say nothing. Sorry, and I am not trying to "bash" our GM, I just think he is somewhat dimwitted to be honest. Hmm, I guess that isn't very nice, but I wouldn't consider it bashing, and I do NOT think he is wearing a "poker face" when he says these things. Only way I can see a WR in the first is Evans @ #13 after Matthews @ #2...assuming we keep those picks. Can't wait for this draft.....

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Interesting, if I'm following you... Snead might pick a WR, but the kid avoids excessive pressure because we "don't need a saviour".

Something along those lines...rather than a savior, just another very good one to add to our selection..

To be honest though, I think we're found a real gem in stedman bailey.. A complete steal in last year draft. Why cant he be our number one? Ok he doesn't have the megatron physique, but neither does steve smith and I'd say hes the panthers main threat.. Even if he is a tool..