Versatile RB Watts has come on strong/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f629777b-1109-577d-9132-612b26adfc83.html

Rookie running back Trey Watts watched the Rams’ preseason-opening loss to the New Orleans Saints from the sideline, nursing a hamstring injury.

But the undrafted free agent from the University of Tulsa has been coming on strong ever since. In a loss to Green Bay, he had a 14-yard carry while rushing three times for 19 yards and added an 8-yard pass reception.

Then, in the team’s 33-14 victory over the Browns in Cleveland last weekend, Watts led the game’s rushers with 36 yards on nine carries and added a 25-yard pass reception, finishing with three catches for 31 yards.

And he finished off the game’s scoring with a 12-yard run.

“It just feels good playing football again,’’ said Watts, who figures to see plenty of action both on offense and special teams tonight when the Rams close out their preseason schedule against the Dolphins in Miami. “I haven’t played a lot of minutes like that since college. It really felt good to help the team by making a few plays.’’

The 5-foot-9, 208-pound Watts is one of five running backs on the roster, joining second-year players Zac Stacy and Benny Cunningham, core special teams player Chase Reynolds and fellow rookie Tre Mason, a third-round draft pick.

The Rams lost third-year back and special teamer Isaiah Pead when he suffered a season-ending knee injury while returning a kickoff against New Orleans.

“Everybody knows cuts are coming, but you just have to try and put it out of your mind,’’ said Watts, 23. “As a competitor, when you’re not getting playing time, it’s frustrating. But you need to be a team guy. Zac and Benny have helped me and Tre pick up the offense and I think we’re all pushing each other to become better backs. You’re only as good as your weakest link.

“All I can do is wait for my turn and then try to do the most of it.’’

Watts certainly did so in Cleveland, showing plenty of quickness and elusiveness. On his touchdown run, for example, he started to the right and then made a quick adjustment.

“I took it right and just made a cutback move,’’ he said. “The guys up front did a great job — they did the hard work to make my job easy — and I also got a great down-field block from (fellow free agent rookie) Austin Franklin near the goal line.’’

Rams coach Jeff Fisher likes what he’s seen of Watts.

“He’s very talented with the ball in his hands (and) I thought he was OK without the ball in his hands,’’ Fisher said. “In college, he was a versatile back, worked out of the backfield, lined up in the slot and did all those kind of things. (He has) good run skills and vision.’’

Watts is the son of former University of Oklahoma quarterback J.C. Watts, who went on to serve four terms in the House of Representatives following a career in the Canadian Football League. J.C. Watts now works as a lobbyist in Washington.

A three-year starter at Oakton High in Virginia, Trey walked on at Tulsa and enjoyed a stellar career, finishing as the program’s No. 3 career rusher. As a senior, he had eight 100-yard rushing games and finished with 1,329 rushing yards. He also had 46 catches for 395 yards and scored 12 touchdowns while leading the Golden Hurricane in kickoff and punt returns.

“I pride myself on being a complete back, a guy who can do a lot of different things to help a football team,’’ Watts said.

RAM-BLINGS

A bit of encouraging news for the Rams, who finished 7-9 and at the bottom of the NFC West standings a year ago.

In 2013, four teams — the Carolina Panthers, Philadelphia Eagles, Kansas City Chiefs and New Orleans Saints — qualified for the playoffs after finishing last in their division the previous season. And Carolina (NFC South) and Philadelphia (NFC East) captured division titles.

Last year marked the 11th consecutive season in which at least one NFL squad made the worst-to-first move in a division. The model team for such a run is the 2009 New Orleans Saints, who went from 8-8 to 13-3 and ended up as Super Bowl champions.

• Former Rams defensive end Sammy Brown and safety Matt Daniels cleared waivers Wednesday after being cut Tuesday.

• Dallas has placed ex-Illini defensive back Justin Green on injured reserve.