Versatile Person steps up on the offensive line/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Versatile Person steps up on the offensive line
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_dcda5251-caa6-5791-a96c-0fddc890f8d5.html

Rams left guard Rodger Saffold expects to be back in the lineup Sunday when the team takes on the Redskins in Washington.

But if Saffold, who aggravated a shoulder injury in the Rams’ blowout win over Oakland on Sunday, cannot answer the bell, Mike Person will be ready.

On Sunday, after Saffold went down early in the third quarter, Person came on for the final 20 offensive snaps. He filled in similarly late last month, taking 23 offensive snaps after Saffold was hurt in Kansas City.

“Wherever they need me, I’ll play,’’ said Person, a versatile fourth-year pro. “In this role, you’re always on your toes because you’re never sure when you’ll be called on. It’s the next man up, and you learn to embrace it.

“I managed to get in there and hit somebody. And it felt good.’’

And how did he feel about his play?

“I think I did OK,’’ the 26-year-old said. “Obviously, there are always going to be things to fix and do better, but for the most part, I felt I did a decent job.’’

Regardless of Saffold’s status, Person will not alter his preparations this week.

“You go into every week looking to be ready, whether you’re the starter, the backup or even if you’re not going to dress,’’ the 6-foot-4, 299-pound Person said. “You continually attack it that way because that’s the only way you’re going to get better.’’

After a standout career at Montana State, Person was selected in the seventh round of the 2011 draft by the San Francisco 49ers. He also spent time with Indianapolis and Seattle, where he made his NFL debut, before being claimed off waivers by the Rams early last season. He was inactive for the final 14 games of the 2013 season.

Person, who can play guard, tackle or center, has been a regular contributor on special teams this season.

“The Rams have given me a chance and I feel like I’ve taken it and run with it a little bit,’’ he said. “Experience makes a big difference.” I’m definitely more comfortable now than I was in my rookie year. I love to practice anyway, but getting out there and contributing, it definitely makes the job a little more enjoyable.’’

INJURY REPORT

Rams coach Jeff Fisher has been using Wednesdays as an opportunity to rest some of his veteran players. And it’s a routine that seems to be paying off.

Sitting out the workout at Rams Park on Wednesday were defensive end Chris Long (ankle), linebacker James Laurinaitis (ankle), center Scott Wells (not injury related), defensive end William Hayes (not injury related) and Saffold (shoulder).

Linebacker and special-teamer Will Herring (foot) was limited Wednesday, with rookie cornerback Marcus Roberson (ankle) listed as a full practice participant.

The Redskins’ injury list Wednesday included 12 players. Wide receiver DeSean Jackson (shin), defensive lineman Kedric Golston (foot, back), defensive end Jason Hatcher (knee), safety Brandon Meriweather (toe) and cornerback Chase Minnifield (concussion) did not practice, while defensive lineman Chris Baker (chest), cornerback E.J. Biggers (concussion), safety Ryan Clark (stinger) and linebacker Keenan Robinson (knee) were limited.

Linebacker Ryan Kerrigan (wrist) and running back Silas Redd (rib) were full participants.

MASON UP FOR AWARDS

Following his breakout game against the Raiders on Sunday, running back Tre Mason has been nominated for a pair of NFL awards.

Mason, a third-round draft pick from Auburn, is up for the Rookie of the Week award along with Indianapolis receiver Donte Moncrief, Jacksonville cornerback Aaron Colvin, Green Bay receiver Davante Adams and Minnesota quarterback Teddy Bridgewater. Fans can vote at http://www.nfl.com/rookies between now and Friday at 2 p.m.

In addition, Mason is up for the Player of the Week honor along with three quarterbacks and two other running backs. Fans can vote for one quarterback and one running back at nfl.com/FedEx by 2 p.m. today.

In Sunday’s 52-0 rout of the visiting Oakland Raiders, Mason accounted for 164 yards from scrimmage (117 rushing, 43 receiving) and scored three touchdowns. He opened the scoring with 35-yard pass reception from Shaun Hill in the first quarter, added an 89-yard scoring run early in the second and followed up with an 8-yard scoring run in the fourth.

RAM-BLINGS

One day after signing LB Marshall McFadden to fill out the 10-player practice squad, the Rams have another opening. They lost DB Jemea Thomas on Wednesday when he was added to Tennessee’s 53-man roster.

Thomas, a Georgia Tech product, was selected in the sixth round by New England in last May’s draft and played in one game for the Rams, the 34-7 loss in Kansas City.

• Former Mizzou receiver L’Damian Washington has been signed to the Miami Dolphins practice squad. Meanwhile, the Giants have signed running back Chris Ogbonnaya, a seventh-round draft pick by the Rams in 2009.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
But, for whatever reason, the team seems convinced that Davin Joseph is better than Person.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
But, for whatever reason, the team seems convinced that Davin Joseph is better than Person.
I will say I didn't think much of Joseph, especially during the first part of the season, but as of late he has been playing much better. I haven't noticed any glaring issues with him as of late, but that can change quickly. It's great seeing Person play, especially being a Montana kid. I know the family well having worked with his older sister, coaching against him during his high school days. Good family and an all-around good kid. He is the kind of guy that would run through a brick wall in order for the RAMS to win.

fearsomefour

Legend
Joseph missed practice time this week....although I think for personal reasons, not injury.
I would like to see Person get some time.
He is not massive and got just ok push in the running game, but, he was good in pass protection and looked very quick getting to the second level. I would like to see Saffold moved to RG for this game and Person get the start at LG. Lets see what the guy can do.