Verner Or Byrd?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Verner or Byrd?

• Verner

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • Byrd

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
If the Rams were to spend big money on DB in FA who would you rather have them add?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Well Byrd may be franchised and then traded, which may cost the team bidding on him a second round pick.

Verner may cost about the same as Byrd, minus a draft pick. So my vote is Verner.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Verner is my choice. Young and talented and has worked with Williams. Had 5 int's and 23 passes defended!!! 23 is crazy!!!

With Willams controlling our defense, and no more 10 yard cushion for our corners, we will press them more and contain them better which will make a rookie FS's job much easier for him.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well Byrd may be franchised and then traded, which may cost the team bidding on him a second round pick.

Verner may cost about the same as Byrd, minus a draft pick. So my vote is Verner.

I'd want Byrd if he weren't franchised, simply because this is a deep CB draft. A guy like Denard has potential to be another Verner, at a much lower salary

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'd want Byrd if he weren't franchised, simply because this is a deep CB draft. A guy like Denard has potential to be another Verner, at a much lower salary

Fo sho. I'm just going off current info.

RFIP

I like Verner but he's a 1 year wonder. That said, he's considerablly younger than Byrd. THAT said, Byrd is an outstanding, ball hawking FS, the likes of which the Rams haven't seen in many moons so I so Byrd.

A55VA6

Legend
I went with Byrd only because I like the corners in the draft more than I like the safeties.

jjab360

Legend
Verner for a couple reasons:
  • CBs have more impact than Ss
  • Verner has experience with Gregg Williams
  • Verner is 2 years younger than Byrd
  • Verner has never missed a game, Byrd missed 5 games last year due to plantar fasciitis in both feet
Both are studs and top 5 players at their positions, so when you take these things into account it makes the decision is pretty easy, imo.

Last edited:

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Verner for a couple reasons:
  • CBs have more impact than Ss
  • Verner has experience with Gregg Williams
  • Verner is 2 years younger than Byrd
  • Verner has never missed a game, Byrd missed 5 games last year due to plantar fasciitis in both feet
Both are studs and top 5 players at their positions, so when you take these things into account it makes the decision pretty easy, imo.

Personally I think its improbable for the Rams to land either, but if they made a run at one it would be Verner. I wonder how much Williams' input is valued by Fish

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Can we say neither and not spend so much money on one guy?

Give me 4 or 5 guys at different positions than 1 dude at one spot. I know I say that over and over, but every year teams (including the Rams as of late) make these big moves to get headlines in March but come November...blah.

Just some of the guys I can think of top of my head...
Albert Haynesworth
Nnamdi Asomugha
Adam Archuleta (Redskins)
Brandon Marshall
Mario Williams
Mike Wallace
Brandon Gibson
Darnell Ellebree
Phillip Wheeler

And of course all the Rams FA signings...

Even tho in cases where said players had great years (Brandon Marshall, Mario Williams) their teams? Hovering aroiund .500 or worse.

One player doesn't solve anything.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Part of me worries that Byrd's play may drop off once he gets his payday.

You make a good point and i agree. Byrd will be trying for his last "big" contract basically. Verner on the other hand is only 25 and has room to get a big contract now, and if he continues playing good, could recieve a new contract or extension down the road. 2 years might not seem like much, but life in the NFL isn't long, so those 2 years can make a huge difference in terms of future contract deals.

tonyl711

Starter
I like Verner but he's a 1 year wonder. That said, he's considerablly younger than Byrd. THAT said, Byrd is an outstanding, ball hawking FS, the likes of which the Rams haven't seen in many moons so I so Byrd.
who do you say he is a 1 year wonder?

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
So why single him out? Why not say the same about Verner?

I don't feel the same way about Verner. Of course it doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

I also didn't say that I knew Byrd wouldn't play as well, just that I kind of worry about a player getting a massive payday having the same level of motivation as before.

tonyl711

Starter
Because Gregg Willisms said when he got there last year they weren't even sure Verner was going toake the team.
something must have lit a fire under his back side, maybe it was GW, he obviously turned it up a notch, don't see how you can say he is a one year wonder without giving him a second year to show last year wasn't a fluke.