Vermeil: Rams' win over Seattle 'was no fluke

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Vermeil: Rams' win over Seattle 'was no fluke'
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0b1282fe-d977-5ead-af82-152b8b672b81.html

They're a little older, and a lot grayer. But it must have seemed like old times for Dick Vermeil and Charley Armey, standing side-by-side on a bright fall day at Rams Park, watching the team go through an afternoon practice.

Nearly 16 years ago, they steered the Rams to a Super Bowl championship over Jeff Fisher's Tennessee Titans. On Wednesday, they were guests of Fisher _ now, of course, with the Rams _ as the team prepared for Sunday's Week 2 contest in Washington.

"He's always had an open door policy for me to come and visit," Vermeil said. "I sent him three good-luck bottles of wine the other day. He's a big-time wine guy; he knows good wines."

It was Vermeil's way of wishing Fisher good luck in the opener against Seattle and good luck in the 2015 season. Vermeil, who last coached for Kansas City in 2005, now owns Vermeil Wines in California's Napa Valley area.

He spent his television viewing time last Sunday switching between the Rams and Chiefs games, and liked what he saw in the Rams' 34-31 overtime victory over defending NFC champion Seattle.

"That was no fluke," Vermeil said. "I picked 'em to win. I think it's gonna be a good football team."

Vermeil is in town this week for a couple of wine-related events, as well as the induction of former Rams defensive end Kevin Carter into the St. Louis Sports Hall of Fame. Earlier in the week he took part in the annual Charley Armey-Jim Hanifan Shriners charity golf tournament.

Vermeil always enjoys his trips back to St. Louis.

"You know, I didn't spend any time here after we won the game," Vermeil said. "That was my mistake."

He retired just a couple of days after the Rams won Super Bowl XXXIV, only to later return as coach in Kansas City.

"So I come here (now), it's like it's the first time they've seen me since I left," Vermeil said. "It's really a warm reception. From the minute I get off the airplane, it's amazing how loyal these people are."

Armey, who hit on a lot of draft picks and free agents during his time as Rams general manager, has been retired from the game for several years and lives in the Phoenix area. He too liked what he saw from the Rams against Seattle.

"I like their intensity," Armey said. "They've got a lot of talent on this football team. It seems to be all coming together. What impressed me most about the football team when i watched the game last Sunday is when they got down late in the ballgame, the intensity didn't go down.

"The intensity went up. They just decided they were gonna find a way to win the ballgame. And that really speaks well of the coaches and the preparation for the players. It really speaks for the character of the football team."

Vermeil, who still lives just outside Philadelphia, watched quarterback Nick Foles a lot as an Eagle.

"Always have been a fan of his," Vermeil said. "See, I was close with Andy Reid. I know how Andy inside really felt about him. It wasn't media talk, or talking to a friend. He really liked the guy and thought he had a great future. He does, and he's already starting to prove it."

Reid was head coach in Philadelphia when the Eagles drafted Foles in 2012.

For his part Armey said he was a little worried when Foles took that blindside shot from blitzing Seattle cornerback Cary William, which resulted in a fumble and return for a touchdown by Williams. Worried about Foles' health, that is.

"But he bounced right back up," Armey said. "He's very accurate and very poised. He's gonna be successful here."

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
"I like their intensity," Armey said. "They've got a lot of talent on this football team. It seems to be all coming together. What impressed me most about the football team when i watched the game last Sunday is when they got down late in the ballgame, the intensity didn't go down.

"The intensity went up. They just decided they were gonna find a way to win the ballgame. And that really speaks well of the coaches and the preparation for the players. It really speaks for the character of the football team."

Yeah, he got that part right... This team is different...in a good way.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
I have read his book twice. What a great man.

51BwpzEXNcL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg