Venturi's game plans for Patriots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Published: October 26, 2012 @ 10:41am
http://101sports.com/category/rventuri- ... -Patriots/

As I left the Dome Sunday, I felt privileged to have watched the most talented quarterback of my lifetime, Aaron Rodgers. He plays the position with a unique set of attributes, not seen since early John Elway. His combination of accuracy and athletic movement, coupled with his - coach on the field – intelligence truly sets him apart from the crowd. Even though there was disappointment in the loss, you knew Rodgers was going to be hard to beat.

There were some good Ram plusses in the game. The defense was all over Aaron in the first half, and only his superior skill allowed him to survive. Robert Quinn was terrific (early) in the rush, and Brockers is starting to be a factor. Laurinaitis was all over the field and the Green Bay offense was held in check for a half. On the downside, Chris Long had a reversion game where he went back to a - down the middle - rush on the non athletic Brian Bulaga, and played right into the Packer strength.

Cornerback Janoris Jenkins is regressing fundamentally, and is becoming a huge target. It’s inexcusable for a corner to get into a bump and run position, and have his hands on his knees. This is like a boxer who fights with his hands down. I don’t expect the kid to be a pro bowler as a rookie, but he should be getting better, not worse. The other trend that unnerves you is two weeks in a row, the opposition comes out to start the second half with a methodical touchdown derive that sets the all important tone for the 2nd half.

On offense, I liked that Jackson and Richardson, with help from Givens, banged away for another 100 plus game rushing. I thought the patched up offensive line over performed again. They opened up holes, and they survived against a tough pass rush. Clay Mathews had one sack, and the blitzing Packers totaled three, which is survivable. Givens continues to make explosive plays when he touches the ball.

Conversely on offense, the problem continues to exist – THE RAMS CAN’T SCORE! The biggest reason they can’t score is they have a receiver corps, minus Givens and Amendola, who can’t get out of their own way. I think it’s silly not to play Givens and Quick as I find 13 points a game repulsive, and to think you’re going to do it with these Clydesdales is suicidal. I also think to take Jenkins off the returns is short sided. Pettis will have a thousand fair catches, while Janoris, shaky as he is, just might break one. With the slowest twitch perimeter in the game, you need to play guys who have a least have a chance to break a play!

When you prepare for a Belichick team, it’s important to know how he thinks. I worked with him for two years, and I must say, he has shaped my way of preparing for a game. It starts with personnel match ups. Before you ever draw up a play or defense, you will spend hours trying to establish two things.

Number one, he wants to know how every matchup on that field will play out.

Number two, he wants to know, exactly what you are as a team. He will always determine, after you sort through statistics and “window dressing”, what makes you tick. He will determine who and what you are, and then make you play another way. I used to tell the young coaches on the staff – “when you play Bill, if you don’t know your strengths and weaknesses, you’ll find out in the first five minutes of the game”.

Offensively, there are many similarities with the Packers, including great, but very different style quarterbacks. They both want to set the tone and, again, dictate early pace and tempo with no huddle, constant personnel changing and new wrinkles. Belichick’s objective has always been to establish the lead with the opening drive, and he has been extremely successful over the years.

Also, like Green Bay, they are going to use - check with me runs, so don’t fall trap of showing Brady your intension. Brady has autonomy at the line, so don’t – DON’ let him get a pre snap look. I always like playing the Patriots in general with nickel defense, because I conceal better and I think I can hold up versus what has become a one back running game. You must be pro active early and eliminate that strike first mentality

While the running backs and receivers, Lloyd and Branch have roles, the three guys you must stop are Welker, Gronkowski, and Hernandez. All three guys are uniquely talented and will be used in a triangular type of passing game, in which all three have primary roles. In Welker, you have the prototype slot specializing in seams, drives, choices and options. Quick as a cat, he is hard to handle one on one with a slot corner. In “Gronk”, you have the prototype big, fast, athletic guy who is a tough match for your linebackers and safeties. He is great on sticks, nod, seams, and is particularly dangerous to the corner.

Hernandez is the “wildcard” and probably the most dangerous, because he’s part receiver, part running back and part tight end. You must pack your coverage inside 5 on 3 with zones, mans, and combination. You, however, must be ready to adapt to potential big play matchups with Hernandez either in the backfield or isolated outside. I respect Branch and Lloyd, but if Jenkins and Fletcher can’t handle them one on one it will be a long day. The other reason I like the “nickel” defense is – Finnegan is a decent match on Welker.

The Patriots do an exceptional job of protection and it allows them to use a ton of open and spread sets. If Mankins cant’s go at left guard, they have a problem with movement there. I‘ve always felt you have to collapse rush Brady and inside blitz him. He’s not going to run, he needs to step up inside to be successive, so squeeze him from the outside and create a blockade and pressure inside. He doesn’t like people nipping at his legs.

One of the interesting things for me in having coached defense for Belichick is – his inability to rebuild a championship defense in New England. I respect him as a coach and I always believed he was the absolute best at constructing a team. With all the investments he has made in defensive players, I ‘m surprised that they still struggle so bad. They have a lot of solid guys, particularly in their front 7, but Wilfork is the only game changer. I think their rookie right side hybrid, Chandler Jones, has the makings of being an impact guy, but he’s learning the pro game at this point.

I can’t remember a Belichick team that gives up so many plays in the back end. Having coached the secondary for him, I knew that to be inexcusable. Arrington, McCourty, and Dowing have struggled at the corners, while their safeties have been liabilities deep. The worst part of their game - is making plays on the ball – so you must go in with the idea of competing for the ball. This is a game where you have to take your shots deep and your receivers MUST outcompete the Pats’ secondary!

Belichick is flexible in his defensive thinking and, like his offensive thinking, will structure a plan to take away what the Rams do best. He will think “take away Jackson and Richardson, while keeping Jenkins in front”. Even though he is technically a 34 guy, he will over shifts it the majority of the time, and make it a 43 with behemoth tackles, Wilfork and Love inside, and the sleek hybrids, Jones and Cunningham, on the edge.

Linebackers Mayo, Spikes, Ninkovich, and Hightower are high profile, but have never lived to their billing. The front 7 is the highlight of the defense, but the Rams can run their offense. Your zones, tosses, whams will be there. The one thing I want to do with the running game is push it away from Wilfork, since he’s the only game changer. I like to open them up with nickel sets - to force their linebackers out of the box and in space, since Bill doesn’t like to play “sub” defenses until third down.

On early downs expect a ton of safety down, 3 deep – man or zone. You may get some 34 defense with double edge pressure, but the outside quarter of the field will be there to be taken advantage of. The best thing you can do against Belichick is maintain balance, as he is always looking for you to define yourself and pounce on it. I guarantee you he will overplay the run here, so play action and boots will be effective both deep and in the second level.

On longer yardage down, expect the Belichick family “reroute” cover 2, and man to man combinations. There safeties are vulnerable to deep double moves, because the corners are not “jamming” receivers on the outside like days gone by. Since they reroute rather than run the seams, there is daylight for Sam to put it up there and let his guys make plays deep.

. I also expect him to pressure Bradford on long yardage situations. Their problem is if you protect – they are vulnerable to the deep ball! They don’t have an impact rusher, so, again, expect heat. Be careful to give help on Wilfork, and don’t let Jones have a coming out party. One thing I know – if the games on the line and he needs a play - expect him to bring the house.

While the Patriots probably hold the fan edge in London, with their visibility, and are used to playing outside in bad elements, they have had a tough time putting people away lately. They have a porous defense that can be exploited. If the Rams play great defense for 60 minutes and Sam can get someone to catch it, who knows what can happen in the 4th quarter.