Vent Thread: Rams vs. Dolphins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My favorite play was the 5 yard pass call over the middle to force use of their last timeout immediately. I mean, ARE YOU EFFING SERIOUS???

Boras should have dialed up a nice intermediate shot right there to put them around the Dolphins' 25 yard line. And put that over the middle, sure, and call the timeout right after. But 5 yards?

You cannot perform in the 2 minute drill by throwing constant within-10-yard routes. You can't. How does Fish and Boras not know this? Seriously man, I know they know more about the game than we do, but how do they not have the feel to know that?

F this coaching staff man. I feel terrible for the players on this team who have talent and heart. They're being straight up abused.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Damn it RAMS! I'm working 12 hour shifts all week and had planned on daydreaming all week of how the 5-5 Rams were going to sneak into the playoffs. Instead, you manage to GIVE another W away and end our season before Thanksgiving. Now I can't even look at the schedule or standings and looking forward to the draft doesn't even work this year. We don't even have any high value picks in our pocket. How in the hell does the D play lights out for 3 1/2 qtrs just to lay down with ignorance to close out the game????? HOW? And we can't even begin to try and fathom what the hell is going on with game management and Offensive philosophy most of the game and especially after halftime. Fisher and gang just got bested by the youngest Head coach in the league AT HOME!!!! DAMN IT RAMS!!!! DAMN IT!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Miami didn't even face a single 3rd down play in the "game winning drive". And only faced 1 3rd down in the previous drive.
I get it that prevent opens up the middle of the of field to run clock, but god, Miami didn't even have to think about 4th down

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
miami's drive chart

Punt
Punt
Punt
Punt
Punt
Punt
Punt
Interception
Punt
Punt
Punt
TD
TD

any other team but the rams and thats a W right there ... offensive philosophy has to change

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Miami didn't even face a single 3rd down play in the "game winning drive". And only faced 1 3rd down in the previous drive.
I get it that prevent opens up the middle of the of field to run clock, but god, Miami didn't even have to think about 4th down
Well, how could we expect them to keep throwing to the sideline? Nobody does that when the clock is against them!

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
For 10 minutes it was like rooting for a real NFL team again. The OL, defense and Gurley were inspired with a tangible hope this team could actually be something with an actual NFL QB. Then Fisher just sucked the life out of it by making it clear he would not let Goff win this game.

There were a couple possible reasons for the ridiculous handcuffs on Goff. One, Fisher absolutely dictated that there would be zero deep balls as part of his babying of his little precious #1 pick, as if one deep INT would ruin his psyche forever and prove it was a bad trade. Two, under no circumstances did Fisher want Goff to light it up because it would clearly show he was wrong in keeping him benched all year. So Fisher concocted the perfect compromise game plan where he wanted Goff to do nothing bad but nothing great and hopefully the Rams defense would win, which would build Goff up with success, but not put up any fantasy statistics that the armchair experts and media could use against Fisher.

For 50 minutes Fisher had his ammo that his philosophy of trying to win games 13-10 is a winner. He tried in vain to force his defense to accomplish the impossible in the NFL, a one-dimensional stall game of a defense playing its hearts out but an offense playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

So much for rooting for a real NFL team, but for 10 minutes there it was amazing.

…..

Legend
I dont nornally do the vent treads, but I will say these past two weeks has the feel of complete helplessness. Even in the win over the Jets there was a feeling of impending doom.

Really sucks for this teams loyal fan base. And to the guy who said this staff is a disservice to the players, your absolutely right. The players and fans deserve so much more. Its just so sad all the way around. I try to remain hopefull and positive, but Its heartbreaking for me to live through this.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This game was a microcosm of every Rams season in recent memory.

All of the hype and hope at the beginning, and then watching it all go to shit when it actually matters.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
For 10 minutes it was like rooting for a real NFL team again. The OL, defense and Gurley were inspired with a tangible hope this team could actually be something with an actual NFL QB. Then Fisher just sucked the life out of it by making it clear he would not let Goff win this game.

There were a couple possible reasons for the ridiculous handcuffs on Goff. One, Fisher absolutely dictated that there would be zero deep balls as part of his babying of his little precious #1 pick, as if one deep INT would ruin his psyche forever and prove it was a bad trade. Two, under no circumstances did Fisher want Goff to light it up because it would clearly show he was wrong in keeping him benched all year. So Fisher concocted the perfect compromise game plan where he wanted Goff to do nothing bad but nothing great and hopefully the Rams defense would win, which would build Goff up with success, but not put up any fantasy statistics that the armchair experts and media could use against Fisher.

For 50 minutes Fisher had his ammo that his philosophy of trying to win games 13-10 is a winner. He tried in vain to force his defense to accomplish the impossible in the NFL, a one-dimensional stall game of a defense playing its hearts out but an offense playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

So much for rooting for a real NFL team, but for 10 minutes there it was amazing.

:popcorn:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Mike Martz's "Pedal to the Metal Offense"=playoffs

Jeff Fisher's "Prevent Offense"=6-10
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...seen-the-light-jeff-fisher-has-in-jared-goff/

Have you seen the light? Jeff Fisher has, in Jared Goff
Posted by Darin Gantt on November 21, 2016

624689614.jpg
Getty Images

The coach best known for going 7-9 now has an 0-1 quarterback.

But Jeff Fisher was still encouraged by the debut of rookie quarterback Jared Goff, despite the fact the Rams blew a 10-point lead late to lose to the Dolphins.

He did a really good job,” Fisher said, via Eric Williams of ESPN.com. “No delay of games. He was in complete control in the huddle. He did a nice job on the line of scrimmage. I was disappointed in the outcome of the game, but you could see the light — there’s light there for him.

“So we’ll continue to allow him to get ready and continue to progress.”

Of course, they didn’t ask him to do all that much, as he was 17-of-31 for 134 yards and no touchdowns or interceptions. That 4.3 yards per attempt is indicative of what they were going to let him try on a wet day in L.A., as he only tried five passes of 10 yards or longer. He didn’t complete any of them, but he didn’t try many.

“I was really proud of him,” Fisher said. “It’s hard to praise any one of your players in a loss like this, but when all eyes were on our quarterback, I thought he handled this game pretty well.

“I’m looking forward to him having another real week of preparation. What greater challenge can you imagine being in his shoes than going down and competing against Drew Brees? That’s a huge challenge for a young quarterback.”

Fisher said that wasn’t because the playbook was limited, but because of the Miami defense’s ability to get pressure made getting the ball out quick a priority. Or maybe, that’s just their offense.

giphy.gif

https://theringer.com/nfl-week-11-s...points-winners-losers-b88f5c74e9d3#.sqwu80bhf

Loser: The Rams’ Defense

Sherman: The Rams finally benched Case Keenum and started no. 1 draft pick Jared Goff at quarterback against the Dolphins on Sunday. That’s good! It was getting quite silly that Goff was still on the bench.

Goff looked about as good as Keenum. In Keenum’s final start, he went 17-for-30 for 165 yards. Sunday, Goff went 17-for-31 for 134 yards. In Keenum’s last three starts, the Rams scored 10 points, 10 points, and nine points. In Goff’s debut, they scored 10.

Goff’s performance was fine. It wasn’t notably different from Keenum’s, but the Rams weren’t going to the playoffs with Keenum. If they’re going to be utter crap offensively, they might as well do so while giving meaningful snaps to a player whose future could change the franchise instead of a veteran we already know stinks.

But as the offense has sputtered, the defense has continued to do work. The Rams haven’t allowed more than 17 points in over a month, and Sunday, they held Miami scoreless for 55 minutes. It wasn’t enough. The Dolphins scored two touchdowns in the game’s final five minutes, and because Goff and crew had only managed 10 points, that meant Miami won.

The Rams are now 1–3 in their last four games despite fielding a defense that played well enough to spark a 4–0 showing in that span. It’s not a Goff or Keenum question: Either option leads to bad offense. Playing Goff right now is the best move for this team’s future, but it has to be demoralizing for a defensive unit that’s built to win now.

The Rams defense put in the kind of work that should lead to an A on this group project. But their partners are the NFL equivalents of a slacker who will never amount to anything and a freshman who can’t find the classroom. Sorry you’re failing, guys.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We can debate all the reasons why we're eliminated before Thanksgiving once again. But it won't matter. Fisher has never had this team better than 4-6 through ten games. What did anyone expect?

fearsomefour

Legend
It's just time to move on from Fisher and his philosophy. He's built up a nice team, but I just can't see him taking us any further. The only way I'd keep him is if he promises and delivers a top notch offensive mind at offensive coordinator, and we get in writing that Fisher will be completely hands off with the offense.
Agree.
The Vermeil ultimatum.
The crazy thing is an average offenses makes this team a dangerous team. An average offense and this team is probably sitting at 7-3.
I'd keep Williams and the D staff, gut the O staff and give Fisher that ultimatum.
Also, someone else (like even an average fan after 5 beers) watching a replay telling Fisher whether to throw the challenge flag or not.
Most of his challenges are embarrassing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Initial thoughts....

Offense....Fire Boras...He's obviously worse than Cignetti, who was worse than Schottenheimer....
Not impressed with Goff....Yeah 1st game...yeah rookie...yeah play calling sux...not impressed. Small hands and all...A little early...but Dak Prescott makes Goff look like an udfa...Oh yeah, Keenum wins this game...ouch, I said it...don't want Keenum...and a little nervous about Goff. Fire Weinke too...

Defense...silly penalties by Quinn...stupid penalty by Ogletree...I don't remember Donalds penalty...Tru isn't a shut down corner....great player...well good player...decent coverage, better tackler...but we need to draft corners...and D Linemen...oh yeah, Fire Greg Williams...did he order the prevent defense played in the final 4 mins??? Fire his ass.

Other than that...too many missed picks...not bad picks, missed picks...Dak is the latest...so fire Les...He drafts these guys...interviews them...Fire Les....

Last, fire Fisher...he said he wasn't going for the 7-9 BS....right? So by his own words...do the right thing...

I'd personally trade for a vet QB next year...for an offensive HC....

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
fense....Fire Boras...He's obviously worse than Cignetti, who was worse than Schottenheimer....
Not impressed with Goff....Yeah 1st game...yeah rookie...yeah play calling sux...not impressed. Small hands and all...A little early...but Dak Prescott makes Goff look like an udfa...Oh yeah, Keenum wins this game...ouch, I said it...don't want Keenum...and a little nervous about Goff. Fire Weinke too...

dont agree there RE Goff Champ ...and no one even sniffed Dak in the first three rounds and if Romo was helathy come start of the season Dak wouldn't have sniffed the field

Defense...silly penalties by Quinn...stupid penalty by Ogletree...I don't remember Donalds penalty...Tru isn't a shut down corner....great player...well good player...decent coverage, better tackler...but we need to draft corners...and D Linemen...oh yeah, Fire Greg Williams...did he order the prevent defense played in the final 4 mins??? Fire his ass.

agreed ,,,Donald was a roughing the passer hit Tannehill helmet to helmet after the ball had left no need to do it

i like GW's D ... Did fisher order the switch to prevent or weas it GW ..guess we will never know

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
What did anyone expect?
This nails it, as that's the question that drives every fan. I can't answer for anyone else, but at the end of last year I expected the Rams to rebuild the roster to fill the holes created and draft some great "best available" players. I expected a Groundhog Day performance of the Rams being a tough out but having no QB as usual en route to another 7-9, with hopefully a QB situation shaking out along the way into 2017.

Then all of the sudden the Rams traded for the #1 pick. My expectations were for Fisher to say "we traded 6 premium picks for this kid because the only thing holding back this team has been a QB. We're handing him the keys. We know he's going to struggle, but our team is good enough to rally around him and overcome his rookie mistakes. We'll do it smart and have his back and make sure his long term confidence isn't shaken, but the bullshit of knowing we're going to finish 7-9 because we don't have a QB is over, we're finally setting the bar higher."

Yes I was unrealistic and naive, but it didn't have to be this way.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
We can debate all the reasons why we're eliminated before Thanksgiving once again. But it won't matter. Fisher has never had this team better than 4-6 through ten games. What did anyone expect?
No debate necessary... it's Fisherball at it's finest.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
dont agree there RE Goff Champ ...and no one even sniffed Dak in the first three rounds and if Romo was helathy come start of the season Dak wouldn't have sniffed the field
I watch college football...I saw Dak play...decent player...played on some big stages in the SEC...Then I saw him in the Senior bowl...he was the games MVP...Took command of a 2 min offense like he owned it...I was impressed. Then he had a dui stop after the combine...so, of course he had some red flags...and dropped on many scouts boards. But the film didn't lie...good little player...and guess what, we needed a good player at that position...

First pass yesterday... a wobbly duck...then a parade of dinks and dunks surrounded by a couple of slant passes...color me, not impressed. Remember, number 1 overall, held out 3 months...now this...

i like GW's D
I like the way his players play...sometimes...all the penalties..from personal fouls to jumping offsides...is just hard to win with ...And the end of half & end of game prevent defenses he calls. That's not the first game he's lost with that style...and since he refuses to change, we need to move on...

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
watch college football...I saw Dak play...decent player...played on some big stages in the SEC...Then I saw him in the Senior bowl...he was the games MVP...Took command of a 2 min offense like he owned it...I was impressed. Then he had a dui stop after the combine...so, of course he had some red flags...and dropped on many scouts boards. But the film didn't lie...good little player...and guess what, we needed a good player at that position...

First pass yesterday... a wobbly duck...then a parade of dinks and dunks surrounded by a couple of slant passes...color me, not impressed. Remember, number 1 overall, held out 3 months...now this...

never saw Dak play in college so cant say either way but ill defer to your superior knowledge ;) but a lot of teams passed on him rightly or wrongly ... and lets not forget that o line is something else and their run game aint too bad.. Didnt Dak lose his first game as well ?

Status
Not open for further replies.