Vent thread: Rams v Lions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
Rod Miranelli's D just dominated the Packers in Green Bay. Sure, we had guys out, but so does every team. Think Detroit had 3 starters on D out too. They were able to make the stops when needed and neither Detroit nor Dallas has the talent the Rams have on defense. Just pointing out that the 22nd ranked defense isnt "all that". Who's responsible? This D has not been top 10 since Fisher has been here. Is it too much to expect that the defense be the top 1/3 in the league?

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
It's interesting to me that after a few years into it, GW and the Rams are still tinkering instead of being established by now. Like when I look at a linebacker from the Steelers, I know he's a linebacker for the Steelers -- doesn't matter what his name is, it's always the same type of guy with the same job making the same great plays.

GW was saddled with a breaking down JL and no depth at LB and no resources to replace them with traditional MLB skillsets, etc., so he got creative and invented (perhaps co-invented or reinvented) the Barron position and converted Ogletree. That kind of flexibility and creativeness has to be respected. Barron and Ogletree have little reading skills so are going to be home run hitters, we have to take the amazing plays with the bad. But have patience to see the outcome of the experiment.

lockdnram21

Legend
Gonna call BS on this one. Rams went into the game with their top CB and top outside pass rusher out, on the road, against a very good offense with a top tier QB. Maybe they could have done some things differently, but it's ridiculous to lose two guys of the talent of Tru and Quinn on the road against that kind of offense and not expect to see a drop off.
There top Cb is not even as good as u think he had one good game. He got torched by Evans and was spotty vs 49ers. He's ok but we need cbs..hopefully we retain Quick and Britt so we can focus on defense in draft

…..

Legend
Some of your front office blows were predictable.

The one you fail to mention that glares most to me is the Tavon Austin signing, and subsequent disappearance.

After Fisher declared that "we have lots of new ways to get Tavon involved" (which seems to be a yearly proclamation) the Rams have found it still very difficult to do just that.

The unexpected emergence of Brian Quick and the increased reliability of Kenny Britt have mitigated the above for now, but I'm watching closely and predict that Tavon Austin and his value will be debated pretty instensly in the not so distant future.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Gonna call BS on this one. Rams went into the game with their top CB and top outside pass rusher out, on the road, against a very good offense with a top tier QB. Maybe they could have done some things differently, but it's ridiculous to lose two guys of the talent of Tru and Quinn on the road against that kind of offense and not expect to see a drop off.
THIS^! And especially after Brockers got Hurt again and had to leave the game!(y):(

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams depth @ DL is in total fail mode. In the last two games that our 3rd reserve DE Eugene Sims (Fisher favorite) started for the injured Rob Quinn....Sims stats in these last two games as a starter is 1 assists, zero tackles & zero sacks this is a perfect example of Fisher's depth. Our 4th reserve DE Ethan Westbrooks played heavily for the injured Wm Hayes yesterday, he was more ineffective if that's possible, Ethan had zero assists, zero tackles & zero sacks more Fisher depth contributions. One legged Wm Hayes who played sparingly did better than both our starters yesterday where Wm had zero assist, zero sacks but 1 nice solo tackle.

Our back up NT for the injured Michael Brockers is reserve Cam Thomas in the last two games where he has been the main NT & has played most of the defensive downs has contributed with zero assists, 1 tackle & zero sacks. The other reserve depth @ DT Easley fell off this Sunday with a performance with zero tacks, zero assists & zero sacks. Brockers has aggravated his previous injury & I see no end in sight for this DL misery

Safety Mo Alexander's performance has been seriously lacking too as of late. GW has Mo playing in another Continent thousands of miles away. Mo has just little or nothing to show in either tackling or pass defense. he has 1 tackle in the last 2 games with very little involvement. Both starting corners yesterday were a mess & saw very little help from MO. Safety Mark Barron's & TJ McDonald's play is not what it has been either. I would expect that these 3 hard hitting safeties would be killing it each Sunday not whimpering whiffing ghosts of themselves.

We all knew going into the season if we had injuries to our two starting CB's we would be in serious trouble to win games.... Guess What....we were right & it came true thus far.... we went through the first 4 games with Gaines not starting & now we have our franchised corner Trumaine Johnson injured & out for the last two games.....did we win without him? UDFA depth Hill has been toasted & our now #1 corner Gaines turned in a dismal Lion game performance. Fisher & Williams Bad decision on Coty Sensabaugh in the off season has come back hard now to bite. I see no end in sight for our misery either in our secondary.

Jeff Fisher & Gregg Williams vast veteran long experienced defensive assessment of this 2016 team early in this year before FA'cy & the draft surely been vastly overestimated in their minds. Many of the Rams assembled depth players have proven to be ineffective to provide the adequate talent to win. I am loosing faith in Gregg William's ability to put his players in positions to make plays. I was so excited when the season began with what I thought was a dominant Ram defense. I was so wrong. Yes, looks like the HC & DC game time decisions will also come up heavy for some analysis & discussions too along with the players performances.

New problem for these two now is, the usual up coming pool depth of youthful talented players that they have been able to depend on from recent drafts of the past (pre 2016 draft) .....will NOT be arriving anytime soon (next two years) to rescue neither of them from the ongoing 5th & beyond loosing seasons. There is a Bright side here..... is the offense passing game has arrived!

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Lets count the ways the FO blew another off season, resulting in more 7-9 bullcrap:
  • Could not get JJ under contract in the 15' off season. Lost him to F/A.
  • Misfired on Sensabaugh. Defensive backfield is now a weak link on this team.
  • Only one player from the last draft class is contributing, a 6th rd LB.
  • Easly is the only FA signed that is contributing.
  • Misread the QB talent in the draft. Doesnt look like we'll see Goff unless the losses pile up or Kenum gets hurt. Meanwhile, Wentz and Prescott are winning games and learning the NFL. This has the potential to set the team back for years if Goff doesnt pan out.
Nice post Jersey, you're right on all points. You did miss one though that would have solved all of this:
-The failure to fire Fisher.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
So, more than 60% of the time over the last 5 years after a Fisher game...can you feel the frustration of 12 years of losing??
I don't watch the games live, thankfully. Couldn't handle it. Fish is the past tense of 2016....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Barron and Ogletree have little reading skills so are going to be home run hitters, we have to take the amazing plays with the bad. But have patience to see the outcome of the experiment.
It would be interesting to see how ' Singletary' " Coaches -Them-UP" for Next weeks game in London!!(y):snicker::shades:

Side Note: "Damn, on the West Coast we sure are going to have to get up early to Prepare and Watch this Game^!:D

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Rams depth @ DL is in total fail mode.
Amazing expert breakdown as usual. Nick Fairley was underrated, so have to give credit they hit on him last year. But yes this year's attempt to substitute Fat Cam and Easely as the middle depth hasn't worked as well. Especially considering that LB is an experiment-in-progress.. Ogletree and Barron have enough learning on their plate as it is without the DL suffering inconsistencies, too. I was never a big Hayes or Sims fan so not surprised at the lack of depth on the ends.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
To be fair, the Lions have a statistically better offense than both Seattle and Arizona*, with one of the worst defenses in the league. A shootout isn't all that surprising.

* http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

I can see that and they are very explosive but our game plan changed and they gave the Lions way too many chances. I love our bend but don't break defense but you can't let them be in rhythm all game and expect to stop them in the 4th quarter . Our secondary is really scaring me.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I love our defense on 3rd and 2 and the Safety is standing 30 yards down field.
Ya why does this happen ? They play great when they play the Tampa cover 2 but they always do some weird ass plays on third down .

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I disagree strongly. Tru has had 1 good game. This defense is no where close to elite. Never will be with bend don't break approach
Tru is a top 10 corner but teams are smarter than that now , they just put their number 1 wr on the other side and have some guy named troy hill gourd him. HILL is horrible and no we won't be elite until they change the approach, you can't play 20 yards deep on 3rd and 3

lockdnram21

Legend
Tru is a top 10 corner but teams are smarter than that now , they just put their number 1 wr on the other side and have some guy named troy hill gourd him. HILL is horrible and no we won't be elite until they change the approach, you can't play 20 yards deep on 3rd and 3
So what happen vs evans

lockdnram21

Legend
What happen vs evans? I'm not saying he supposed to lock him down but there was no resistance

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Williams needs to stop the cuteness of moving Donald around the D-line.

Line his ass up over the center guard where he is the most disruptive.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Have the rules changed for the vent thread? It used to be that (almost) anything was allowed and not held against people later after the 24-hours was up and the thread locked. If he wants to blame Keenum for the loss in the vent thread, it's not up for readers to agree or disagree, it's about having the chance to get even irrational rants off his chest in the vent thread and then bury it forever..?
You're right.

I didn't realize i responded in the vent thread, as I've been participating in many threads yesterday and today.

That's my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.