Van pelt the better option?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So I, like the rest of you, have been smiling all day at the idea of chudzinski possibly being our offensive coordinator. I think the guy to keep an eye out for is actually Van pelt for some reasons. A, the packers still run a west coast offense (I believe) which is where I think sam played his best football. The biggest thing for me is that chud may boost our offense to the point of being called on for head cocking jobs. Can we really afford a fifth offensive coordinator for our young offense? van pelt would be more inclined to stick around long term. Can anyone with knowledge of both guys provide me with some info? Thanks rams bros

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Van Pelt is a wildcard. QB coach for the Packers is impressive, however is he ready to install a new offense and get these young players coached up?

I assume he was referred to Fish, but he is a loooongshot IMO.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
Another reason Martz would fit good. I don't think he gets signed away from us after one good year.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Van Pelt is a wildcard. QB coach for the Packers is impressive, however is he ready to install a new offense and get these young players coached up?

Apparently he's been looked at before. I think he may be a strong up and comer

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

didn't the rams pick up martz from the redskins as the qb coach?

maybe this guy is itching to show the league what he's got.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Apparently he's been looked at before. I think he may be a strong up and comer

Or another dud like Tim Walton.

Hope his playcalling is somewhere between conservative and aggressive.

jap

Legend
didn't the rams pick up martz from the redskins as the qb coach?

maybe this guy is itching to show the league what he's got.

Yes, Mad Mike served as the receivers coach and later the QB coach for the Rams before moving to Washington to serve as the 'Skins QB coach. His OC position with the Horns in 1999 was his first NFL OC assignment.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't know, maybe someone should Gase me in the Chud, drillled with a Bora's filled anticipated cavern, to satisfy our deep desire to win.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
il_570xN.303654745.jpg

I'm for it. Maybe. I'm just going to dig deep for some faith in the front office to pick a great offensive coordinator.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Hey Ram_Rally
you mention this:

The biggest thing for me is that chud may boost our offense to the point of being called on for head cocking jobs

Where can one apply for a head cocking job?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Hey Ram_Rally
you mention this:

The biggest thing for me is that chud may boost our offense to the point of being called on for head cocking jobs

Where can one apply for a head cocking job?

If one wants to apply for a head cocking job one would need a good camcorder. Wouldn't hurt to have a partner too. Solo acts don't sell much.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Chud has far more experience and runs a similar system so I would give him the edge. Van Pelt has only been an OC once in his career and only for one year under Dick Jauron in Buffalo and the staff was let go after a 6-10.

I like Van Pelt, but have been a fan of Chud and wanted him as soon as it was announced that Schottenheimer had Georgia on his mind, but if the Rams did go with the QB Coach of Green Bay I would not be upset.

Also Chudzinski's experience is that he was a Tight End Coach and that would serve Rob Boras well who might be the OC in waiting.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Up and comers have to come from somewhere. Who was Adam Gase before he got the OC job in Denver?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Up and comers have to come from somewhere. Who was Adam Gase before he got the OC job in Denver?

Very true.

Not gonna freak if it ends up being Van Pelt, because I do think QBs make good OCs with their inherent passing game knowledge. Also Van Pelt has been immersed for 3 years in a very successful offensive scheme and system so he should have all the knowledge he needs in order to be successful. Just comes down to the basics for him, IMO... Can he come in, command the room, translate what he knows into players learning the system during one offseason/camp so that they play fast? If Fish interviews him and comes away impressed, what the hell, give the guy a look.

I just make the assumption that Fish has a priority he's going down with these guys. Chud has to be at the top simply because he's proven, runs the same system, etc. Van Pelt I would hope is ahead of Hackett, but who knows and either way both should only be in play if Fish strikes out on the guys at the top (I presume Shanahan Sr is at the top with Chud, provided he doesn't get a job, but we won't hear about it since he and Fish are good friends).