Vacationer captures chilling video of 18-foot Great White

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mad respect for you scuba divers. I see this, and say "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck THAT." :whoa:

[ch5]1302846559001[/ch5]

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Re: Vacationer captures chilling video of 18-foot Great Whit

I understand that sharks don't normally prey on humans, but I have to be honest: if I was in the water with that shark - cage or no cage - I'd probably pass out from fear. This thing's three times bigger than me and then some. Probably weighs about a ton as well.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

PLeeeeeeaaaase!

I dive with sharks in the Bahamas all of the time... However,,, none of them are Great White sharks. That would give me reason to show everyone my special walk on water abilities.

Great Whites don't normally show up in warm waters though. Thank God. I do run into Bull sharks though,,, and when I do, I get the fuck out and move the boat. You can feel their energy when they are in the water near you,,, the energy doesn't give you a secure feeling. I had a very close call with a Bull shark when I was spear fishing that I will never forget,,, the shark took my 25+ pound mutton snapper right out of my hands as I was luckily able to get it off of my spear just in the nick of time. It was a bad deal...

Open water sharks like White Tips and Blues are also sharks that I wouldn't want to be in the water with,,, I've had big White Tips come up and bump the boat and bite on the motors before. Those open water sharks will take a bite of ANYTHING to see if they might want to eat it.

Other than those, I feel very comfortable sharing the water with most other sharks. They really only want fish. I respect all of them, but don't fear the ones that really pose a threat. I've told you guys this before, but when my wife and I go over to our little shack in Grand Cay Bahamas, we actually feed sharks our fish scraps by hand at the end of most days. Fun stuff.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selassie I said:
PLeeeeeeaaaase!

I dive with sharks in the Bahamas all of the time... However,,, none of them are Great White sharks. That would give me reason to show everyone my special walk on water abilities.

Great Whites don't normally show up in warm waters though. Thank God. I do run into Bull sharks though,,, and when I do, I get the fuck out and move the boat. You can feel their energy when they are in the water near you,,, the energy doesn't give you a secure feeling. I had a very close call with a Bull shark when I was spear fishing that I will never forget,,, the shark took my 25+ pound mutton snapper right out of my hands as I was luckily able to get it off of my spear just in the nick of time. It was a bad deal...

Open water sharks like White Tips and Blues are also sharks that I wouldn't want to be in the water with,,, I've had big White Tips come up and bump the boat and bite on the motors before. Those open water sharks will take a bite of ANYTHING to see if they might want to eat it.

Other than those, I feel very comfortable sharing the water with most other sharks. They really only want fish. I respect all of them, but don't fear the ones that really pose a threat. I've told you guys this before, but when my wife and I go over to our little shack in Grand Cay Bahamas, we actually feed sharks our fish scraps by hand at the end of most days. Fun stuff.
You're a bigger man than I then. I simply won't fuck around with water predators. I just feel like it's too much of a disadvantage. Maybe it's because I had a run in with an alligator when I was younger, and that was a near-death experience right there. Kinda traumatized me for life after that.

I did do some snorkeling when I was in high school (with my girlfriend), and we floated into a small school of barracudas. The look on those things' faces was horrifying. SO many teeth, and they were just sitting there staring at me. I kinda froze and floated to the top and just stayed there until I drifted out of their proximity. Never went snorkeling after that either. Like I said - something about water predators. Just doesn't give me that "evenly matched" feeling. I'd rather face off on a wolf or something. Honestly.

Anonymous

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4wykeJBHdE[/youtube]

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

X said:
Selassie I said:
PLeeeeeeaaaase!

You're a bigger man than I then. I simply won't fuck around with water predators. I just feel like it's too much of a disadvantage. Maybe it's because I had a run in with an alligator when I was younger, and that was a near-death experience right there. Kinda traumatized me for life after that.

I did do some snorkeling when I was in high school (with my girlfriend), and we floated into a small school of barracudas. The look on those things' faces was horrifying. SO many teeth, and they were just sitting there staring at me. I kinda froze and floated to the top and just stayed there until I drifted out of their proximity. Never went snorkeling after that either. Like I said - something about water predators. Just doesn't give me that "evenly matched" feeling. I'd rather face off on a wolf or something. Honestly.

It's all relative Man,,, my knees buckle when I have to use a glass elevator. No way I could do what you do.

Water predators are a problem for lots of folks just like heights are for me. One of my closest friends is a Bahamian who spends at least a part of just about everyday on a boat... He's 50 years old and he's only been in the water 2 times in his life (he was thrown in both times). He's terrified of sharks.

You've been very close to a shark at the beach and didn't even know it I bet. Back in college I used to fly banner planes with a friend of mine up and down the east coast of FL. Let me just say that the Florida Tourism Department would shit if pictures of what we saw from that vantage point were ever released. I know there were days when we saw more sharks than tourists swimming together along the beaches. The sharks are swimming right along with the people and the people have no idea. You would be shocked. Those sharks are NOT eating humans, there are bites that happen (usually during big bait fish runs), but nobody in FL is getting killed and feasted upon.

Cudas are crazy looking underwater because their mouths are almost always open some,,, and those nasty looking teeth are staring at you. It's wild watching one attack a fish underwater. They attack like a lightning bolt with almost surgical percision. They know exactly what they eat, and we ain't it.

Water predators are smart. They know you're not on their menu (for most of them anyway).

I've got lots of great shark stories,,, I got a scare on my heel from a bite too (not the sharks fault). I'll take sharing time with them in their world over a ride in a glass elevator anyday.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah, I hear ya about not knowing that they're probably around me when I'm in the water. I work in a lot of buildings right on the ocean, and I've been out on the roof of some high rises and seen exactly what you're talking about. Saw one that had to be at least 15 feet, swimming right at a couple, and they had no clue. They certainly couldn't hear me warning them either as I was about 250 ft above them. That was some scary shit to witness. I couldn't turn away either. It was like, "Oh shit, are they gonna get shredded right now???" But it swam right by them and they never saw it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I hate heights. I fucking hate heights. I get scared when I'm five feet off the ground. 250 feet? How high is that? Do I even want to know? Fuck...

-breathes- Well, I can at least say that I'm not scared of snakes or spiders at all. Snakes are awesome.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Memento said:
I hate heights. I fucking hate heights. I get scared when I'm five feet off the ground. 250 feet? How high is that? Do I even want to know? Fuck...

-breathes- Well, I can at least say that I'm not scared of snakes or spiders at all. Snakes are awesome.

Oh man, you're missing out. Jump from a plane one day, it's so much fun.