Utley Slide...Dodgers and Mets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
But he DIDN'T go over the bag. It wasn't even freaking close! I know you're a Dodgers fan, but please look at the damn thing objectively!
Sorry man but if there is no contact then Utley's hand clearly hits the bag. I was watching the game and all the replays. His hand goes directly over the top of the bag. It doesn't hit it but it definitely is in line with the base. That is more than I can say about a great many hard slides.

My first thought was that it was a crappy place to get the toss for the turn. Tejeda was hung out to dry and anyone who has played 2nd or SS knows you don't want to be receiving that ball in that position while trying to turn two. Often, you will just get out of the way rather than trying to turn it. And that goes for MLB players too. It is likely why he failed to make the touch on the bag as he knew he was in no man's land.

I have seen countless break-ups and been part of a great many that were way farther outside of the base path than that one. The biggest difference in this one is that Tejeda is in a position where he can't get out of the way. That is not up to Utley to determine. His job is to go in hard within the rules and break up the double play. That is exactly what he did.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Let me say one more thing about rabid Mets' fans ... was Monday's game at the Roman Coliseum or Citifield?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It was a dirty play for sure.
Utley was not trying to injure him, just break up a double play that wasn't going to happen anyway. That is accepted as a baseball play.
It is funny how it is now....Utley is called safe, which, the way the rules are written is the correct call. Then suspended after the game.
So, the right call was made on the field according the rules and then he is suspended.
If I am an ump that game I am tossing Utley (I am a lifeline Dodgers fan). But, all these teams bitching about it being SOOOOO dirty, every team does this come playoff time.

I've seen hard slides right at the infielder trying to break up double plays for many years. Its only dirty if the other team does it to your player. :thinking:

I will say this. If I'm a player in the dugout and the baserunner did not try to prevent the fielder from completing the double play resulting in the loss of the tying run, I'm yelling at him when he comes back. If Utley played nice and gave himself up, allowing the double play to be completed, you think he would be accepted in that dugout? You think anyone would be?

Those plays are common in baseball. More so in the playoffs. This time someone got hurt. And that is what the whole debate is about. Tejada gets up uninjured its a clean play. Unless you're a Mets fan.

RAMBUSH

Starter
What I find incredible is the hypocrisy here. Lets examine this little image

0OdjltN.jpg

Utley is torn apart for sliding away from the bag and it's said he intentionally tried to take out Tejada, both comments are utter trash. The first image there is the Utley slide, a little after the bag but his left hand is clearly on the bag. The next two images are Daniel Murphy, earlier in the same game clearly 2 feet off the bag, out of the base path and he has no chance of touching the base and being safe on the play. This his 100% worse than Utley! He has no chance of being safe all he's doing is going hard at a player, while he's out of the basepath and the only outcome is he could hit Rollins hard and breakup the play possibly hurting Rollins. Much worse than Utley later in the same game.

The last image there is holier than thou David Write sliding into Utley a few years ago. Once again out of the basepath and also after the bag. No chance of being safe he's just trying to slide hard and disrupt Utleys throw to break up the double play. Ironically in this play Wright hurt himself and not Utley. Both instances are Mets players doing what Utley did or worse. The only difference is no broken leg from Tejada.

Now lets look at a play that happened 4 days prior to the Utley slide.

https://streamable.com/7cqd

Almost the exact same slide but this play exposes why Tejada was hurt and it wasn't the slide. The difference in the play is Altuve's DP partner Correa makes a nice throw to him so he doesn't have to turn his back or attempt a wild 360 in order to throw the ball. Unfortunately for Tejada his partner Daniel Murphy made a wild throw and instead of Tejada protecting himself and taking the easy force out he tried to make an acrobatic play and it cost him on Utley's perfectly standard hard slide into 2nd base.

And for another example that this is a perfectly normal play lets take everybody's favorite team the St Louis Cardinals. The self(and fan) proclaimed classiest team in MLB and an example of how the game should be played.

Here we have a game on 9/20/2015 a mere 23 days ago. In this game the Cardinals do what Utley did not once but twice once in the 1st and once in the 2nd innings. You even have the legendary Cardinals player and announcer Tim McCarver saying after his partner states "As Heyward went in with clean baseball at 2nd base" Tim goes on to say "The reason this inning is continuing is because of Jason Heyward's slide. And the Cardinals appreciate it." The 2nd slide IMHO is far worse than Utleys he went just as hard and was just as late sliding into the base but Molina being the class act that he is went with his foot up off the ground spikes into the infielder. And once again McCarver defends the play as hard but perfectly normal and legit.

So please, take this garbage that Utley did anything wrong and throw it out with the dirty dish water. What Utley did happens 2 or 3 times a day at minimum and is done by every team. This is a perfectly normal play in baseball. If you want the play changed that's fine, no issue with that. But to sit here and act like this was some horrible crime and he should be punished is utter garbage and people should know better. This was perfectly legal, the umpires at the game ruled on the play properly according to the rule book. And Joe Torre's suspension of Utley is pure knee jerk reaction to contrived outrage at the play.

Hard to argue with any of that ! That same play happens all the time .

fearsomefour

Legend
I've seen hard slides right at the infielder trying to break up double plays for many years. Its only dirty if the other team does it to your player. :thinking:

I will say this. If I'm a player in the dugout and the baserunner did not try to prevent the fielder from completing the double play resulting in the loss of the tying run, I'm yelling at him when he comes back. If Utley played nice and gave himself up, allowing the double play to be completed, you think he would be accepted in that dugout? You think anyone would be?

Those plays are common in baseball. More so in the playoffs. This time someone got hurt. And that is what the whole debate is about. Tejada gets up uninjured its a clean play. Unless you're a Mets fan.
I agree with all that. Doesn't mean its not a dirty play.
Not as big a deal as its being made.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Just a bad deal is all. Utley did what hundreds before him have done. As much as some are all up in arms about it, it has been part of baseball for EVER. Hell - we were doing it in Little League.

I would hate for the play it safe crowd to get this rule changed but that is likely exactly what will happen. Surprised the players are still allowed to wear metal spikes in this mamby pamby world we have going on.

Tejada caught the toss in a bad place. He also made a pretty bad pivot to put him in a vulnerable spot. I think the fact that he didn't touch the bag made him linger a fraction of a second longer to try to get his toe on it.

It's just that I have seen much more blatant slides result in nothing but a SS or 2nd baseman going ass over elbows, getting up, and brushing the dirt off his uni. This is ONLY an issue because Tejada got injured. Most likely, an inch difference means we are not even talking about it.