Utley Slide...Dodgers and Mets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Like I said in the baseball thread, it was incredibly dirty. Worse than Lawrie's slide into Escobar.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was awful and what's worse is Ultey's lack of remorse.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I find incredible is the hypocrisy here. Lets examine this little image

0OdjltN.jpg

Utley is torn apart for sliding away from the bag and it's said he intentionally tried to take out Tejada, both comments are utter trash. The first image there is the Utley slide, a little after the bag but his left hand is clearly on the bag. The next two images are Daniel Murphy, earlier in the same game clearly 2 feet off the bag, out of the base path and he has no chance of touching the base and being safe on the play. This his 100% worse than Utley! He has no chance of being safe all he's doing is going hard at a player, while he's out of the basepath and the only outcome is he could hit Rollins hard and breakup the play possibly hurting Rollins. Much worse than Utley later in the same game.

The last image there is holier than thou David Write sliding into Utley a few years ago. Once again out of the basepath and also after the bag. No chance of being safe he's just trying to slide hard and disrupt Utleys throw to break up the double play. Ironically in this play Wright hurt himself and not Utley. Both instances are Mets players doing what Utley did or worse. The only difference is no broken leg from Tejada.

Now lets look at a play that happened 4 days prior to the Utley slide.

https://streamable.com/7cqd

Almost the exact same slide but this play exposes why Tejada was hurt and it wasn't the slide. The difference in the play is Altuve's DP partner Correa makes a nice throw to him so he doesn't have to turn his back or attempt a wild 360 in order to throw the ball. Unfortunately for Tejada his partner Daniel Murphy made a wild throw and instead of Tejada protecting himself and taking the easy force out he tried to make an acrobatic play and it cost him on Utley's perfectly standard hard slide into 2nd base.

And for another example that this is a perfectly normal play lets take everybody's favorite team the St Louis Cardinals. The self(and fan) proclaimed classiest team in MLB and an example of how the game should be played.

Here we have a game on 9/20/2015 a mere 23 days ago. In this game the Cardinals do what Utley did not once but twice once in the 1st and once in the 2nd innings. You even have the legendary Cardinals player and announcer Tim McCarver saying after his partner states "As Heyward went in with clean baseball at 2nd base" Tim goes on to say "The reason this inning is continuing is because of Jason Heyward's slide. And the Cardinals appreciate it." The 2nd slide IMHO is far worse than Utleys he went just as hard and was just as late sliding into the base but Molina being the class act that he is went with his foot up off the ground spikes into the infielder. And once again McCarver defends the play as hard but perfectly normal and legit.

So please, take this garbage that Utley did anything wrong and throw it out with the dirty dish water. What Utley did happens 2 or 3 times a day at minimum and is done by every team. This is a perfectly normal play in baseball. If you want the play changed that's fine, no issue with that. But to sit here and act like this was some horrible crime and he should be punished is utter garbage and people should know better. This was perfectly legal, the umpires at the game ruled on the play properly according to the rule book. And Joe Torre's suspension of Utley is pure knee jerk reaction to contrived outrage at the play.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Thats what you do in baseball. You prevent the double play by sliding into the thrower. That run was crucial to their chances. If Escobar doesn't get injured its not an issue. Its just considered an aggressive play by an aggressive player. Anyone thinks when he's sliding he's telling himself "I'm putting this guy on the disabled list" needs a reality check. Utley's trying to help his team. Simple as that.

fearsomefour

Legend
It was a dirty play for sure.
Utley was not trying to injure him, just break up a double play that wasn't going to happen anyway. That is accepted as a baseball play.
It is funny how it is now....Utley is called safe, which, the way the rules are written is the correct call. Then suspended after the game.
So, the right call was made on the field according the rules and then he is suspended.
If I am an ump that game I am tossing Utley (I am a lifeline Dodgers fan). But, all these teams bitching about it being SOOOOO dirty, every team does this come playoff time.

fearsomefour

Legend
What I find incredible is the hypocrisy here. Lets examine this little image

0OdjltN.jpg

Utley is torn apart for sliding away from the bag and it's said he intentionally tried to take out Tejada, both comments are utter trash. The first image there is the Utley slide, a little after the bag but his left hand is clearly on the bag. The next two images are Daniel Murphy, earlier in the same game clearly 2 feet off the bag, out of the base path and he has no chance of touching the base and being safe on the play. This his 100% worse than Utley! He has no chance of being safe all he's doing is going hard at a player, while he's out of the basepath and the only outcome is he could hit Rollins hard and breakup the play possibly hurting Rollins. Much worse than Utley later in the same game.

The last image there is holier than thou David Write sliding into Utley a few years ago. Once again out of the basepath and also after the bag. No chance of being safe he's just trying to slide hard and disrupt Utleys throw to break up the double play. Ironically in this play Wright hurt himself and not Utley. Both instances are Mets players doing what Utley did or worse. The only difference is no broken leg from Tejada.

Now lets look at a play that happened 4 days prior to the Utley slide.

https://streamable.com/7cqd

Almost the exact same slide but this play exposes why Tejada was hurt and it wasn't the slide. The difference in the play is Altuve's DP partner Correa makes a nice throw to him so he doesn't have to turn his back or attempt a wild 360 in order to throw the ball. Unfortunately for Tejada his partner Daniel Murphy made a wild throw and instead of Tejada protecting himself and taking the easy force out he tried to make an acrobatic play and it cost him on Utley's perfectly standard hard slide into 2nd base.

And for another example that this is a perfectly normal play lets take everybody's favorite team the St Louis Cardinals. The self(and fan) proclaimed classiest team in MLB and an example of how the game should be played.

Here we have a game on 9/20/2015 a mere 23 days ago. In this game the Cardinals do what Utley did not once but twice once in the 1st and once in the 2nd innings. You even have the legendary Cardinals player and announcer Tim McCarver saying after his partner states "As Heyward went in with clean baseball at 2nd base" Tim goes on to say "The reason this inning is continuing is because of Jason Heyward's slide. And the Cardinals appreciate it." The 2nd slide IMHO is far worse than Utleys he went just as hard and was just as late sliding into the base but Molina being the class act that he is went with his foot up off the ground spikes into the infielder. And once again McCarver defends the play as hard but perfectly normal and legit.

So please, take this garbage that Utley did anything wrong and throw it out with the dirty dish water. What Utley did happens 2 or 3 times a day at minimum and is done by every team. This is a perfectly normal play in baseball. If you want the play changed that's fine, no issue with that. But to sit here and act like this was some horrible crime and he should be punished is utter garbage and people should know better. This was perfectly legal, the umpires at the game ruled on the play properly according to the rule book. And Joe Torre's suspension of Utley is pure knee jerk reaction to contrived outrage at the play.

Part of the reason is it is a New York team, the main cause for all the uproar is he was injured....which is not what Utley was trying to do. Like I same if I am an ump I am tossing him....but I am tossing anyone going that far out of the line and making no attempt to touch the bag. The picture up above is misleading, shot from an angle that make it look like he is close to the bag. He was not and was making no effort to touch the bag.....sliding so late is the real issue.
Its a baseball play, a traditional, hard nosed baseball play. Replay is going to make things like this bigger than they are. As an aside, there is no dirtier team come playoff time than the Cardinals.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Part of the reason is it is a New York team, the main cause for all the uproar is he was injured....which is not what Utley was trying to do. Like I same if I am an ump I am tossing him....but I am tossing anyone going that far out of the line and making no attempt to touch the bag. The picture up above is misleading, shot from an angle that make it look like he is close to the bag. He was not and was making no effort to touch the bag.....sliding so late is the real issue.
Its a baseball play, a traditional, hard nosed baseball play. Replay is going to make things like this bigger than they are. As an aside, there is no dirtier team come playoff time than the Cardinals.
Its got nothing to do with New York, its got everything to do with the fact that it was a nationally televised playoff game. Guy breaks a leg on the field in front of a national audience, its gonna get attention.

On a side note, what a kick in the balls that replay showed that Tejada foot came off the bag and Utley was safe. Lol

Memento

Name
Jemma

Both Heyward and Molina made an effort to get to the bag to break up the play. Utley made no effort to go to the bag; he was deliberately aiming at Tejada. Like I said, it was an incredibly dirty play for that reason.

Tim McCarver is an idiot, and I don't like his smugness, but he's not wrong on this.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both Heyward and Molina made an effort to get to the bag to break up the play. Utley made no effort to go to the bag; he was deliberately aiming at Tejada. Like I said, it was an incredibly dirty play for that reason.

Tim McCarver is an idiot, and I don't like his smugness, but he's not wrong on this.

Heyward and Molina made no more effort to be safe on the plays. They're not trying to be safe at second they're trying to disrupt the play so the hitter is safe at first just exactly like Utley does. Heyward slides right at the guy but that's clean even though he did exactly what Utley did. Molina is a scumbag that comes in with cleats up ready to rip open a guys leg and destroy him but that's fine that's clean. Give me a break.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/114932...-chase-utleys-slide-injures-mets-ruben-tejada

Utley's hand goes right over the bag. He slides just as late and he slides closer to the bag than most of these plays. How can you have seen this play and not notice that his hand goes right over the bag! Its not like some of these other plays where they're a few feet away from the bag he's right there. He slides late but is that the only time we've seen somebody slide late to break up a double play? News flash the answer is no.

You're right McCarver is an idiot but he says exactly what the vast majority of announcers say about the players and what players are saying about the call. It was a hard slide, a slide we see multiple times a day over baseballs 6-7 month season. All of a sudden Utley's dirty for doing what hundreds of players have done this year alone.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Heyward and Molina made no more effort to be safe on the plays. They're not trying to be safe at second they're trying to disrupt the play so the hitter is safe at first just exactly like Utley does. Heyward slides right at the guy but that's clean even though he did exactly what Utley did. Molina is a scumbag that comes in with cleats up ready to rip open a guys leg and destroy him but that's fine that's clean. Give me a break.

Utley made absolutely no effort to get his hand over the plate, and I have seen that play about a dozen times. Tejada was at least two feet away from the bag, and Utley went right after him. Russell was right over the bag at second base in that Cards/Cubs game in both of those instances, and he was an idiot not to get out of the way and make the play on Molina's slide (which should've been a double play anyway).

Again, Utley's slide is completely dirty because he made absolutely no effort to get to the bag. He wasn't going for the plate; he was going straight for Tejada, and that's why it's dirty and why Heyward and Molina weren't. If you can't see that, then I don't know what to tell you other than take those blue shades out of your eyes.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I've seen this same slide a million times with no big fuss, it's what you are EXPECTED to do. People that are crying about this are the same ones that don't think you should be able to lay out a receiver coming over the middle. Man's game.....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen this same slide a million times with no big fuss, it's what you are EXPECTED to do. People that are crying about this are the same ones that don't think you should be able to lay out a receiver coming over the middle. Man's game.....

Yeah clearly going right over the bag into an infielder hard to break up the play is only dirty when Chase Utley does it. Everybody else is doing the same exact thing but they have different motives.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Yeah clearly going right over the bag into an infielder hard to break up the play is only dirty when Chase Utley does it. Everybody else is doing the same exact thing but they have different motives.

But he DIDN'T go over the bag. It wasn't even fucking close! I know you're a Dodgers fan, but please look at the damn thing objectively!

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
TBH, I think it is dirty, and I like it that way. You are trying to take that MF out, period, that's the objective. If that SS wants to try and make an extra fancy stab at a double play, he better be nimble...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But he DIDN'T go over the bag. It wasn't even freaking close! I know you're a Dodgers fan, but please look at the damn thing objectively!
Ok lets try this again look at the picture of Utley and tell me where his left hand is.

0OdjltN.jpg

If your answer is anywhere other than right over the bag you might wanna look at it again. As he slid into Tejada his left hand went right over the bag.

grab-2015-10-10-23h21m33s38.png

utley21.jpg

Hmmmm he never went near the bag but that sure looks like his upper body is right in line from 1st base to 2nd base.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it was a hard slide and he slid after he went over the bag. It sucks that Tejada was in such a horrible position because of the Murphy throw but this play happens daily during the baseball season. When it happens to Dodgers I cringe and hope our guys are all right but it's a perfectly legal play. When a Dodger does it I hope the defender isn't hurt and I hope it broke up the double play. If they were to change the rules that's fine but to suspend somebody 2 games after the fact when he was doing a perfectly legal thing is stupid.