Utility Knife > Committee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
After careful consideration, I finally assent to Snisher's reasoning. Cig mentioned running game emphasis. Boras will orchestrate it. But in the final week before the draft, someone (I don't know who) had an epic brainstorm. The Rams had a terrific "Committee" for the running game. Do you need a sure two or three yards except when the defense loads up on third and short? Stacy would carry half your defense that far on his back. If the Coordinator wants a potential "game changer", enter Mason. If you have a gadget/pass play, send in Watts or Austin. Is it third down? Cunningham is your man. In today's NFL, this is the way to build a running game....by committee.

Then the unexpected happened. A young man became available that is a "Five Tool" player. If not for an ACL, he would've saved another team. But now he is the successor to the lineage that is Younger, Towler, Arnett, Matson, Bass, McCutcheon, Bryant, Tyler, Dickerson, Bettis, Faulk, and Jackson. As well as each filled their roles, none of the current Ram RB's alone would crack this list (which is why I didn't include Josephson, Ellison, and Cappalletti).

By drafting Gurley, defenses can no longer load the inside to stop Stacy, the outside to slow Mason, or the pass to stop Cunningham, Watts, and Austin. Does anyone else wonder why the screen pass is a Ram afterthought? Not me. Gurley behind the QB has no limitations. Only Dickerson exploded through the hole quicker. Only Bettis, Jackson, Sam Bam Cunningham, and Stacy carried defenders further after contact. Only Faulk and Amp Lee were better receivers. Only Faulk was more versatile. Gurley has the "potential" to be an All Time Great.

Alan

Legend
leoram with this RB analysis:
Stuff.
Lots of good stuff there leo but frankly, Snisher has not shown me any ability to either recognize talent at the RB position or to have any coherent plan there. Pead, Mason, DR, Watts, Cunningham and Stacy. Of all of them I only really like Cunningham and that's only because of his KR abilities.

Alan

Legend
Alan not completing his thoughts:
Lots of good stuff there leo but frankly, Snisher has not shown me any ability to either recognize talent at the RB position or to have any coherent plan there. Pead, Mason, DR, Watts, Cunningham and Stacy. Of all of them I only really like Cunningham and that's only because of his KR abilities.
Having said that about the RBs he's chosen, I also don't dislike any of them except maybe for Pead. We had a pretty good rushing attack except for our inability to pick up those 3rd and 0.1 to 2 yard situations. Sure, having a pre ACl Gurley is bound to make our running attack better but not without a good complimentary passing attack and the O-line needed to achieve that. I still don't think we have that fixed. I was able to watch an interview with Gurley on Mike and Mike where he said the hardest D he went up against was when they played South Carolina because they would put 8 or 9 guys in the box. That was one of the three games they lost BTW. We know what that's like don't we? :(

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
After careful consideration, I finally assent to Snisher's reasoning. Cig mentioned running game emphasis. Boras will orchestrate it. But in the final week before the draft, someone (I don't know who) had an epic brainstorm. The Rams had a terrific "Committee" for the running game. Do you need a sure two or three yards except when the defense loads up on third and short? Stacy would carry half your defense that far on his back. If the Coordinator wants a potential "game changer", enter Mason. If you have a gadget/pass play, send in Watts or Austin. Is it third down? Cunningham is your man. In today's NFL, this is the way to build a running game....by committee.

Then the unexpected happened. A young man became available that is a "Five Tool" player. If not for an ACL, he would've saved another team. But now he is the successor to the lineage that is Younger, Towler, Arnett, Matson, Bass, McCutcheon, Bryant, Tyler, Dickerson, Bettis, Faulk, and Jackson. As well as each filled their roles, none of the current Ram RB's alone would crack this list (which is why I didn't include Josephson, Ellison, and Cappalletti).

By drafting Gurley, defenses can no longer load the inside to stop Stacy, the outside to slow Mason, or the pass to stop Cunningham, Watts, and Austin. Does anyone else wonder why the screen pass is a Ram afterthought? Not me. Gurley behind the QB has no limitations. Only Dickerson exploded through the hole quicker. Only Bettis, Jackson, Sam Bam Cunningham, and Stacy carried defenders further after contact. Only Faulk and Amp Lee were better receivers. Only Faulk was more versatile. Gurley has the "potential" to be an All Time Great.

Nicely done, Leo.
thJustCuz_clapping.gif

If any franchise that knows the value of a game changer at RB, it's the Rams.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Only thing is, we don't really know what either Stacy or Mason would have been because we only saw 2/3rds of a season before moving on. I don't question Gurley's pre injury talent. I just wonder if we may have passed too early on both those guys. After all, Quick took 3 years, Austin has more raw talent than anyone and he's still on the learning curve, our LT is still trying to pass block. Those two RB did very well from the moment they won their starting jobs. Drafting an ACL tear a year after ACL tears have flushed two potential playoff seasons down the drain strikes me like poking the bear. if they're right though, that should be fun, the team we've waited to see since Fisher came. But i do think their jobs rest on that man's knee.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
we don't really know what either Stacy or Mason would have been because we only saw 2/3rds of a season before moving on.

I'm not sure that's the case.

I am a HUGE Stacy fan. I think he can start and be successful in this league. Same with Mason.

But break each of those guys down a little...

Stacy lacks home run speed and isn't a special pass catcher.

Mason has the speed and quickness, good power, but lacks the size for a ton of touches over 16 games.

Again; both can be capable starters, IMO, with offenses that prioritize the pass.

But, regardless of seasons here we know their strengths and weaknesses.

Gurley brings the total package; size, power, speed, explosiveness, and hands to be a feature back - for a team that prioritizes the run.

Nothing wrong with the other guys we have. But Gurley is the kind of back for a Jeff Fisher offense.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm not sure that's the case.

I am a HUGE Stacy fan. I think he can start and be successful in this league. Same with Mason.

But break each of those guys down a little...

Stacy lacks home run speed and isn't a special pass catcher.

Mason has the speed and quickness, good power, but lacks the size for a ton of touches over 16 games.

Again; both can be capable starters, IMO, with offenses that prioritize the pass.

But, regardless of seasons here we know their strengths and weaknesses.

Gurley brings the total package; size, power, speed, explosiveness, and hands to be a feature back - for a team that prioritizes the run.

Nothing wrong with the other guys we have. But Gurley is the kind of back for a Jeff Fisher offense.

I'm probably just nervous about the knee. Drafting a knee injury after consecutive failed years due to knee injuries is something that would get blue4 fired in the real world.:)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm probably just nervous about the knee. Drafting a knee injury after consecutive failed years due to knee injuries is something that would get blue4 fired in the real world.:)

I am nervous about it too. Rams fans are tired of injured knees, for sure.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Reading these Names brings back some Beautiful memories!!(y)(y)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Nice post leo.......however about the screen passes I think in part some of that goes on Bradford. Screen passes weren't his "thing", and if you remember Bulger had a terrible time but finally got it down. When he did Jackson racked up the 5th most yards from scrimmage in NFL history, it took a long time for him but he got it down..........Bradford doesn't seem to have that feather touch and I think that took the screen off the table. Foles will bring it back I hope.

If Gurley is what you and others say, and he fully recovers then he is a weapon similar to (not equal to, but like) Faulk. Maybe a Thurman Thomas type who really can do everything out of the backfield that you would ever require from a RB.

With Foles under center and a weapon like that lining up behind him and the WR's the Rams have it is a potentially potent O.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
This draft is like taking a bite of something and saying hmm that's an interesting flavor I am not sure what I think of it, on second thought I will have another.
Acquired taste indeed but the more I chew the more I enjoy the complexity, sophistication and the balance of flavor.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I agree. I think featured backs are extremely important because they don't show your hand on particular plays.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Thing of it is, Gurley doesn't have to be the featured back. Put in Mason to spell him for thirty percent of the carries, and put in Cunningham on third down situations. Watts can be special teams.

There's nothing wrong with having a stable of good running backs.

Remember, Gurley is coming off of an ACL. We have two good running backs and a potential great one. Let's use them all to pound the rock.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Nice post leo.......however about the screen passes I think in part some of that goes on Bradford. Screen passes weren't his "thing", and if you remember Bulger had a terrible time but finally got it down. When he did Jackson racked up the 5th most yards from scrimmage in NFL history, it took a long time for him but he got it down..........Bradford doesn't seem to have that feather touch and I think that took the screen off the table. Foles will bring it back I hope.

If Gurley is what you and others say, and he fully recovers then he is a weapon similar to (not equal to, but like) Faulk. Maybe a Thurman Thomas type who really can do everything out of the backfield that you would ever require from a RB.

With Foles under center and a weapon like that lining up behind him and the WR's the Rams have it is a potentially potent O.

But Bradford hasn't played here in two years. I think it was an overall experience and skill level. Including the OC.