USC OT Matt Kalil Worthy of No. 2 Pick for St. Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Nate Kuester
Senior Writer
http://www.nationalfootballauthority.co ... sc-ot.html

matt-kalil-usc.jpg

When evaluating the talent level and prospects of USC offensive tackle Matt Kalil a certain phrase pops up almost immediately; legitimate pro tackle.

Kalil will almost certainly have new St. Louis Rams head coach Jeff Fisher tempted to avoid any interested parties interested in trading for the team's No. 2 spot in the upcoming draft. It is hardly a well kept secret Rams quarterback Sam Bradford has been positioned to be the franchise signal-caller, however, he has experienced some difficulties doing that after getting sacked as often as he did in the 2011 season.

Enter Kalil, who didn't allow a single sack during his junior campaign in the land of Troy.

Kalil is the premier left tackle in this year's draft class. He has a keen awareness and good field vision, mixed with a healthy dose of smarts in the football IQ department. Part of the reason his teammate Matt Barkley was even getting looks from Heisman voters comes in part because he was protected so well. Kalil had a hand in that, though you certainly cannot take anything away from Barkley's athletic abilities as these two just compliment each other exceptionally well.

The 6'7" pro prospect is one of those special guys when it comes to the 300-pounder (295 pounds) class. Kalil will absolutely meet with the trainers upon getting drafted to help bulk up what could be considered a lean build by offensive line standards at the pro level. The good news is he should have no problem adding weight and bulk. Perhaps his brother Ryan Kalil who plays center for the Carolina Panthers will show him the ropes with that part.

The Rams, as well as other teams like the Minnesota Vikings, have likely already had to hire additional towel boys to clean up the pools of drool after watching Kalil's pass blocking abilities. The talented left tackle stands up and never backs down, swatting away any defender attempting to work his way inside. He uses his power effectively while waiting to see how the play develops before committing to executing his blocking assignment; and he does it all in the mere blink of an eye.

Kalil's athleticism perhaps draws the most attention and praise. When in open space, he still has enough quickness and prowess to get up field in a hurry. It is rare you find an offensive lineman that appears nimble on the field, yet also exhibits a patience that often pays off in executing the play. The way Kalil uses his feet should have many scouts licking their chops.

The guy is also one heck of a run blocker, and you know Rams running back Steven Jackson could appreciate something like that. The way Kalil opens up holes, seems almost as if he is on a downhill slope charging like a bull. Defenders at the college level could only hope to contain him, however -- more often than not -- they failed.

Kalil exhibits an awareness of motion in how he utilizes his opponents momentum against them. The guy has remarkable instincts that just about any pro quarterback dealing with a penetrating front four would kill to have blocking for him. It is with good reason the USC tackle is considered to be the top player at his position in the draft class thanks to his noteworthy skill set.

Kalil anchored a fairly weak Trojans offensive line and he shined. Last year's ninth overall pick Tyron Smith likely remembers his former teammate all too well. The two competed for the left tackle spot at USC, and it was Kalil who emerged as the victor in that battle.

The simple fact of the matter is, no other tackle quite measures up to the measurables, nor the intangibles in regard to what Kalil brings to the game. He is a moving brick wall that is a pure force to be reckoned with.

No matter what team winds up taking him in the draft, they will provide themselves with an immediate upgrade to the offensive line. There is little question of that, and he will likely get plenty of chances to prove that on Sundays this next season.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Re: USC OT Matt Kalil Worthy of No. 2 Pick for St. Louis Ram

I wouldn't mind Kalil at #2 if we stayed there. I'm no scout, and I know DR RAM watches O line play a lot more than me, and he thinks Kalil will be a stud, but I have some reservations. Most of my reservations surround his weight. He is really light. When the draft gurus discuss his weight, it seems as though they basically say that he has the athleticism of a Joe Thomas or a Jake Long, but not the strength, which they attribute to his lower weight.

But why is he so light? Many people say his frame can support an additional 30lbs or more. Well, why hasn't he already put on the weight? I know people might say he's just a college player and they don't have the workout regimen/training methods that players in the NFL have. Maybe so, but it's not like he attended Acorn St were he really might not have very good trainers or equipment. He went to one the premier college football programs in the country. If they can't get him to gain weight/strength, how could we? Let's face it, this is the NFL and our trainers and equipment will likely be better than USC's but not THAT much.

Fisher want's a big, running, ball control team. I would figure that would mean close attention to the O-line, but in that regard, I would think you'd want road grader type lineman, and maybe not so much technique/athletic lineman (like Kalil). I admit, I might be reading into this too much. But we gotta get this pick right. If we don't trade down, I want to make sure that the team makes the right decision. I'll trust the scouts/Snead's/Fisher's opinion over mine, but it just seems like a red flag for the system we want to run here.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo

He must also fit into our offense in a broad reference. I mentioned it awhile ago but why have we in recent past had such a "weak" group of o-lineman? Pace and Turley- both when healthy were just badasses. So is it genetics,coaching,maturing,lifting/dieting,luck, or simple the overall gigantic challenge of holding your own in the NFL? The post-2009 draft experts can bash us up and down now on Jason Smith but bad luck happens,however he was the Matt Kalil of that draft class of o-linesman. Smith was top 5 no matter what.
Dahl as of now is our "only" badass while Saffold has potential to rise into that. That's why I was thrilled on the Fisher hire and Bordeau. This draft once again will have heavy weight on the future.
I'm sticking with this prediction: Browns trade up #2 for RG3 and we take Blackmon @ #4, and @ #21 we take OT Mike Adams to man our right side. I do believe Adams will be there.

I would be thrilled to see us pull a big name Wr like Colston,V.Jackson,Manningham,even D.Bowe just don't see Snead and Fisher going that way. In FA I believe we cut Bartell to free up enough to sign Finnegan in addition DT Jason Jones. Are we giving up on Salas and Pettis already I see both coming back strong next season. Blackmon will solidify our Wr core.

bluecoconuts

Legend

If we don't get a good enough offer (not enough return, or dropping too low) for the #2 pick, then Kalil has to be the guy.

If we are able to trade back and get a good return we should of course. I'd love to drop to #4 and get Blackmon, but if we can't then I can't imagine they would draft anyone but Kalil.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

I am still torn on this. I honestly think that both Kalil and Blackmon will be studs at the next level. Can't go wrong wither way.....but.....what is more important to this team right now?? That is debatable, but I just get the feeling Fisher will want to build from the lines out, which leads me to believe that he will keep the pick and take Kalil. I honestly do not see a team making us an offer we can't refuse for the #2 either. Cleveland may offer their 2 first rounders + a 3rd rounder or something, who knows, but that would be about it IMO (which I also think is fair to move up only 2 spots). If we make that trade, we most likely still get Blackmon at 4 and another impact player @ 22. So there you have it....1 lockdown LT or a possible franchise receiver + another impact player. I think I just talked myself into the trade scenario........

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Faceplant said:
I am still torn on this. I honestly think that both Kalil and Blackmon will be studs at the next level. Can't go wrong wither way.....but.....what is more important to this team right now?? That is debatable, but I just get the feeling Fisher will want to build from the lines out, which leads me to believe that he will keep the pick and take Kalil. I honestly do not see a team making us an offer we can't refuse for the #2 either. Cleveland may offer their 2 first rounders + a 3rd rounder or something, who knows, but that would be about it IMO (which I also think is fair to move up only 2 spots). If we make that trade, we most likely still get Blackmon at 4 and another impact player @ 22. So there you have it....1 lockdown LT or a possible franchise receiver + another impact player. I think I just talked myself into the trade scenario........

You get the playmaker @ #2 or #4.

Top 5 picks...need playmakers.

Hopefully w/ the new/old OL coach and Fisher, get a 2nd round or later pick who's pissed off b/c he was a later pick, make him a beast.

Offensive tackles don't score TDs....

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Agreed. As I stated above, the best scenario for us is to trade down and take Blackmon....

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo

Why would we get Kalil when our left tackle was drafted 2 years ago if so thus forcing Saffold over to RT. Ugh!
This is a completely revamped veteran led coaching staff get the playmakers Blackmon over any high priced cap killing FA Wr.

bluecoconuts

Legend

BatteringRambo said:
Why would we get Kalil when our left tackle was drafted 2 years ago if so thus forcing Saffold over to RT. Ugh!
This is a completely revamped veteran led coaching staff get the playmakers Blackmon over any high priced cap killing FA Wr.

With more teams using duo pass rushing ends (Like Long and Quinn) having a really strong RT is good to have. Technically Saffold was drafted for RT as well, he just beat out Smith in camp. So it wouldn't disappoint me to move him to the right if we had a guy like Kalil (granted he lives up to the hype) anchoring the left.

I want to move down as well, but if the offer isn't right, and we're drafting at #2, I personally can't rank Blackmon over Kalil. Blackmon will be great, and I want him in horns, but he's not better than AJ Green, and he's not as good as Calvin Johnson, and to me that doesn't warrant a #2 draft selection when there is a guy like Kalil on the board.

We'll see. I think the draft is going to be fun. I really want to see a trade with the Browns, get Blackmon at 4, and then Zach Brown (OLB) at 22....

Although I've seen some mocks with the Rams trading down and getting Blackmon, then Mike Adams (OT) at 22, and Zach Brown at 33..... Oh man I would need a change of pants if that happens.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo

This is definitely fun to discuss especially here at the holiest of holy Rams sites. I'm not against Kalil hell it's going to be a battle and definitely not a consensus no brainer pick either. If we sign somehow someway the Demoff way a high valued Wr in the V.Jackson, Colston,Bowe type class then do most of us assume Kalil is most likely. Man this is going to be a lot of fun. Btw I didn't mirror a mock draft on my prediction I just put a logical scenario out there based on our immediate needs.
BlueC good point on Saffold being drafted as a RT I just figured he owned the LT @ Indiana why shake up his progress any more?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

is there any chance the rams will take claiborne if they move to #4?

a shutdown corner, which is what everyone expects him to be, would allow the rams d to dominate.

blackmon seems like the obvious choice but part of me wants it to be claiborne.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kurtfaulk said:

a shutdown corner, which is what everyone expects him to be, would allow the rams d to dominate.

There's part of me that wants Kalil, part of me that wants Richardson, part of me that wants Blackmon, and part of me that wants Claiborne. Oh, and another part just checked in, and he wants Floyd. It's just nice knowing that the Rams can get any one of those guys, and there's a better than good chance that this time they'll actually wheel and deal in the 1st round (and quite possibly the 2nd).

Kahlil's NOt worth the #2 pick....he's NOT good enough. imo

Kahlil's MAIN value is his Pass Protection.
He looks very light on his feet and has very good agility.
Kahlil would be prefect for a passing offense(Saints, Packers, etc).
Kahlil's RunBlocking is a liability. imo

In a Run 1st offense which is what the Rams will employ, the OTs have to Run Block well.
So, I think Reiff or Adams, etc are fine for LT or RT because they must be very good at both, but especially RunBlocking.

A two headed power RB attack is just what the doctor ordered to help stabilize Bradford and build his confidence this year.
I think the Rams offense will be very much like the 49ers was last year, building the QBs confidence and

I'd draft TR at #4 over other guys because TR is BPA. imo
Picking a player at #4, I'd draft TR,
then Blackmon,
or Brockers,
or Claiborne/Kirkpatrick/Jenkins.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Kahlil's NOt worth the #2 pick....he's NOT good enough.

SunTzu.v.Camus said:
Kahlil's MAIN value is his Pass Protection.
He looks very light on his feet and has very good agility.
Kahlil would be prefect for a passing offense(Saints, Packers, etc).
Kahlil's RunBlocking is a liability. imo

In a Run 1st offense which is what the Rams will employ, the OTs have to Run Block well.
So, I think Reiff or Adams, etc are fine for LT or RT because they must be very good at both, but especially RunBlocking.

A two headed power RB attack is just what the doctor ordered to help stabilize Bradford and build his confidence this year.
I think the Rams offense will be very much like the 49ers was last year, building the QBs confidence and

I'd draft TR at #4 over other guys because TR is BPA. imo
Picking a player at #4, I'd draft TR,
then Blackmon,
or Brockers,
or Claiborne/Kirkpatrick/Jenkins.
Sounds like you're locking in on Richardson.

Is that your final answer?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

X said:
kurtfaulk said:

There's part of me that wants Kalil, part of me that wants Richardson, part of me that wants Blackmon, and part of me that wants Claiborne. Oh, and another part just checked in, and he wants Floyd. It's just nice knowing that the Rams can get any one of those guys, and there's a better than good chance that this time they'll actually wheel and deal in the 1st round (and quite possibly the 2nd).
As of right now, if I had my choice I'd trade back and take Blackmon. I would love to take Richardson, let's face it we HAVE to get someone to replace Jackson in a year or two, and he is the best RB coming out since Adrian Peterson. But, that position is really a luxury pick. At this point we have four positions we really need to upgrade if the team will be successful next year: DT, WR, OT and OLB. We really are almost stuck in taking the best player of those four positions. I have reservations about Kalil. I don't have any about Blackmon. I really do think he has the potential to be a Larry Fitzgerald: big, runs great routes, deceptively fast, great body control, and catches everything his way. I say take him and go from there.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

If they can't get a great package for the #2 pick I'd say take Kalil. Blackmon is slower and smaller than what you'd want in a top 5 WR.

If they can swing a trade and move back to #4 with the Brownies, I'd go for Claiborne. The secondary will need help regardless if they can get a CB in free agency or not. I think running backs are dime a dozen this day in age in the NFL.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Warner4Prez said:
I think running backs are dime a dozen this day in age in the NFL.
They kind of are unless you can get your hands on a rare one. Like Campbell, Faulk, Sanders, etc. So I guess what we need to determine is whether or not Richardson is one of those rare ones.

superfan24

Starter

Warner4Prez said:
If they can't get a great package for the #2 pick I'd say take Kalil. Blackmon is slower and smaller than what you'd want in a top 5 WR.

If they can swing a trade and move back to #4 with the Brownies, I'd go for Claiborne. The secondary will need help regardless if they can get a CB in free agency or not. I think running backs are dime a dozen this day in age in the NFL.

Claiborne and then Mike Floyd later in the 1st. That covers one big need and solidifies the CB to a strength on our D. Then get a DT in the 2nd, O-lineman in 3rd, then a couple OLB's and O-linemen in the later rounds.
We'll be celebrating a division championship before you know it.
GO RAMS

Re: Kahlil's NOt worth the #2 pick....he's NOT good enough.

X said:
Sounds like you're locking in on Richardson.
Is that your final answer?

TR or Blackmon...I'd be fine with either.
I just think BPA is TR
.....and not Blackmon.

X said:
Warner4Prez said:
I think running backs are dime a dozen this day in age in the NFL.
They kind of are unless you can get your hands on a rare one. Like Campbell, Faulk, Sanders, etc. So I guess what we need to determine is whether or not Richardson is one of those rare ones.

He is....which is a lot for me because I hate the running game(so boring)
but TR's the perfect compliment for Bradford the next 6-8 yrs.

I actually think the Bucs will take TR over the CB Claiborne...
so if we trade with the Skins Blackmon would be the pick at #6.

I'd prefer the Browns #4 pick and the Rams get their choice of TR & Blackmon.