USA Today interview with Austin Davis HS Coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

goldenram

UDFA
http://usatodayhss.com/2014/hs-coac...thout-throwing-a-pick-until-the-last-practice

HS coach says Rams QB Austin Davis went a year without throwing a pick until the last practice
By: Jason Jordan October 23, 2014

HS coach says Rams have their quarterback of the future in Austin Davis. / USA Today Sports

Before Michael Jordan was making Bryon Russell fall with a killer crossover and draining the go ahead jumper to win his sixth NBA title with the Chicago Bulls, Jordan was a skinny, determined athlete dominating the competition at Laney High (Wilmington, N.C.).

Before Adrian Peterson was trucking opposing defenses and racking up 2,097 yards in a single season for the Minnesota Vikings he was shining bright under the Friday night lights at Palestine High (Palestine, Texas), averaging 12 yards a carry and scoring 32 touchdowns.

Before any athlete can become legendary they have to lay their foundation in the high school ranks.

Each week I’ll chat with a high-profile athlete’s former coach, mentor, family member, etc., and reminisce about their high school playing days; everything from the greatest moment to the wackiest story.

This week I caught up with St. Louis Rams quarterback Austin Davis’ high school coach at West Lauderdale (Collinsville, Miss.) Stan McCain.

Jason Jordan: I know Austin was the most accomplished player in West Lauderdale history so this will be hard; what’s your best memory of him on the field?

Stan McCain: You know there were so many; he really came into his own by the end of his sophomore year. He was our starter and played OK, but wasn’t doing what I thought he could do. Then he turned it on in the playoffs and took us all the way to the state title game. He could really throw the ball man! We were a Wing-T team so we didn’t throw the ball as much as some other schools. We used his legs and his arm.

JJ: What’s your best memory of Austin off the field?

SM: He had a group of about eight or nine friends that all came up together and they were always together fishing and hanging out and all that stuff. For the most part he was all about ball; if he wasn’t in the batting cage he was throwing the football.

JJ: What’s the craziest story you can recall from his recruitment?

SM: He didn’t get all the loads of offers because, like I said, we had a Wing-T offense so that hurt his stats a little. The thing I remember is that he made the Mississippi-Alabama All Star game and Southeastern Louisiana really wanted him bad. They saw his value before any other school saw it and wanted him to come in and start as a freshman, but he decided to sign a baseball scholarship with Southern Mississippi and walk-on to the football team. The best thing that happened to him was when Coach Fedora came in and gave him a legitimate shot at starting. When he did that they couldn’t get him off the field.

JJ: What was his personality on the team?

SM: He was the leader. He was the guy that the guys on the team looked up to. They knew he could get them wins and they did what he said. He’s a great leader and he knows how to get his teammates to play for him as hard as they can. You’ll start seeing it more and more.

JJ: What’s something about Austin that people would be shocked to know?

SM: Well, he was one of our slower quarterbacks; he ran about a 5.2 40 and that didn’t set well with him. At the end of the football season he was starting baseball and after baseball practice you’d see him stretching a running sprints. By the time he finished baseball season four months later he was down to a 4.7. Another thing is that he went his whole senior year without throwing one interception; I’m talking in games and in practice.

Think about that. I mean he never threw one pick. Then the week of our playoff game he threw one in practice. We literally just stopped and all looked at each other because we’d never seen that all year. We pass a lot in practice too; plenty of opportunities to throw interceptions and he never threw one. Not one. Then he threw it on that last practice. He ended up throwing one in the game too!

JJ: Do the Rams have their quarterback of the future in Austin Davis?

SM: You better believe it. I knew that all he needed was a chance. I knew if he were to get a chance it’d be hard to get that joker out of there. He got his chance and he’s not letting go! I know there are great quarterbacks in the NFL, but none of them will outwork him or study harder than him. Somebody’s gonna have to beat his tail back out to put him on the bench. I think he can will them to wins too. He’s just that type of player. I’ll tell you what; if they don’t make the playoffs it won’t be because of him. He’ll more than do his part.

Follow Jason Jordan on Twitter: @JayJayUSATODAY

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
You know there were so many; he really came into his own by the end of his sophomore year. He was our starter and played OK, but wasn’t doing what I thought he could do. Then he turned it on in the playoffs and took us all the way to the state title game.

Sounds familiar. A late bloomer.

He’s a great leader and he knows how to get his teammates to play for him as hard as they can. You’ll start seeing it more and more.

We're already seeing it.

JJ: Do the Rams have their quarterback of the future in Austin Davis?

SM: You better believe it. I knew that all he needed was a chance. I knew if he were to get a chance it’d be hard to get that joker out of there. He got his chance and he’s not letting go! I know there are great quarterbacks in the NFL, but none of them will outwork him or study harder than him.

That's probably what Fisher and the rest of the coaching staff saw in him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I could dig his HS coach being right on that last question.

Athos

Legend
No picks his senior year practice and games just kinda confirms that he never really makes the same mistakes over and over again. It's all about the little things and I think Davis intuitively knows the things he needs to improve on. Many QBs say that, the truly great ones back that up.

By end of year, I think Davis looks like a beast provide line and WR health.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The enthusiasm from the coach speaks volumes and the attributes that he is speaking on we are already seeing them in games. I believe in Davis and I think this kid can get us over the hump

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Hard not to like the kid. Wish more people could get on board and wish him well. Our fan base is so jaded, and with very good reason. Sometimes it is hard to see what is right in front of us I guess. I admit I am still cautiously optimistic, but becoming less cautious with my optimism every time I see him play.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Some players just need a opportunity to display what they are made of.And I for one am rooting for him to lite up this league.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
What impressed me about Davis more than anything is rarely see him make the same mistake twice, and he's getting better all the time. He didn't look like a wide eyed kid that needed a clip board instead of a football in his hands. He was weathering the flow of the game and he really didn't have many mistakes. And we're talking about SEA, here.

Davis just has to keep getting a little better every week, keep winning games, and we won't be able to say no to him in being our QB.

We may have our QB.

If he beats the Niners and Chiefs, I'll crown him.

Then he has to keep going, off course.:p

fearsomefour

Legend
Sounds familiar. A late bloomer.

We're already seeing it.

That's probably what Fisher and the rest of the coaching staff saw in him.
I think the Rams coaching staff lucked out. He didnt play well enough to justify keeping him around because he did not have the measurables. I sure they like his work ethic....bring him back as a camp arm after cutting him last year. He may turn out to be one of those guys who would not have had a career if not for a couple of injuries.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think the Rams coaching staff lucked out. He didnt play well enough to justify keeping him around because he did not have the measurables. I sure they like his work ethic....bring him back as a camp arm after cutting him last year. He may turn out to be one of those guys who would not have had a career if not for a couple of injuries.

I agree they may have lucked out big time. I'm loving that too.

Keep in mind he was practicing and playing with guys who weren't even going to make the team, he was in with camp fodder so it's kinda hard to show your stuff in that situation. I'm not making excuses for Fisher and Snead, but this type of thing happens with some players.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm really starting to love this kid the spin move against the Super Bowl MVP sold me!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Does Kurt get that chance with receivers of that kind of quality with no Trent Green injury? You have to wonder. It's almost a lock that he never starts for the Rams if Green stays healthy. Does he sign as a back-up with someone else then? Does he finally give up and go to work? Does he play for a team that had our talent level at receiver a couple years ago? Sometimes you AND the QB just get lucky through an unfortunate turn. Sometimes you just don't know what you've got until you are forced to use it.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

goldenram

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sometimes you never know what you've got till fate steps in....
1650_5.jpg

goldenram

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought about this too. I mean he couldn't have changed THAT much in one season. Maybe he wouldn't be doing as much but close to what he's producing now. He at least had to be better then Clemens.

Think I remember this from last season......

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/clemens.20936/page-4#post-221166

-X- said:
He's out there because our starter is on crutches and Austin Davis isn't even *as good* as Clemens right now. Despite everyone else's morbid curiosity, there's nothing to indicate that Davis has anything more than a conceptual grasp of what to do out there right now.

And how do you know this for a fact? We have only seen Davis this preseason with 2nd and 3rd teamers and he still out performed Clemens. We all know from Clemens years of Veteran Back up experience, that He is prone to screw up at the wrong time and blow it... Look at how some of the teams around the league are performing with unknown QBs. Hell, even Nick Foles that came out the same time as Davis (that never performed as well, even in College) just had a record day. Sometimes you have to realize that just one crappy coaching decision, for the wrong reason, can change the out come for a Team's whole season. Also, you never know how a player will perform in a game until put into that situation. Could be the next big thing or next bust..... Point is you never know till you try. I believe that Davis has been here long enough to know enough of the Offense that Schotty could put together a plan if he wanted to. I'm not ready to throw in the towel and say we'll just take what we can get. You got to try to get better, not complacent with what you have, mediocrity....

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree they may have lucked out big time. I'm loving that too.

Keep in mind he was practicing and playing with guys who weren't even going to make the team, he was in with camp fodder so it's kinda hard to show your stuff in that situation. I'm not making excuses for Fisher and Snead, but this type of thing happens with some players.
Good point.
Does Kurt get that chance with receivers of that kind of quality with no Trent Green injury? You have to wonder. It's almost a lock that he never starts for the Rams if Green stays healthy. Does he sign as a back-up with someone else then? Does he finally give up and go to work? Does he play for a team that had our talent level at receiver a couple years ago? Sometimes you AND the QB just get lucky through an unfortunate turn. Sometimes you just don't know what you've got until you are forced to use it.
exactly.
Kurt was exceptional in game situations. It still shows how far there is to go with player evaluation too.