US government tells Windows users to uninstall QuickTime

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
In case any members are using this software.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/14/11436932/uninstall-quicktime-windows-apple-stops-support

US government tells Windows users to uninstall QuickTime as Apple stops support
By Rich McCormick

The Department of Homeland Security has advised that PC owners uninstall Apple's QuickTime for Windows, after two vulnerabilities were discovered in its code. Because Apple is no longer updating the Windows version of the software, the DHS says "the only mitigation" is to remove the software entirely, or else risk "loss of confidentiality, integrity, or availability of data, as well as damage to system resources or business assets."

The government's advice echoes that offered by security firm Trend Micro, whose Zero Day Initiative first noted the two QuickTime for Windows vulnerabilities. The company says it's not aware of any successful attacks that have used the security holes so far, but says that because Apple will not be issuing any patches to close them, they'll remain inviting to malicious attacks from here on out.

The US government regularly puts out security alerts about specific software via its Computer Emergency Readiness Team (CERT), but the warnings are often more open-ended, advising people to use anti-virus software or keep on top of updates. In QuickTime's case, Apple has been winding up its support for Windows for a long time — the video player wasn't supported by either Windows 8 or 10, although some users hit upon a workaround.

The company declined to comment to Reuters on the Windows vulnerability, although the DHS notes that the flaws aren't found in the Mac version of the software, which continues to be updated as normal.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
QuickTime for Windows was always the worst. I for one will not mourn its death. Especially since I had assumed it had died years ago.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
QuickTime for Windows was always the worst. I for one will not mourn its death. Especially since I had assumed it had died years ago.

Yup, I doubt if any savvy computer user needed the govt to tell us to delete that crappy software.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I dumped it years ago but I checked my files just in case and it is still listed there but that's all. All physical aspects seem to have uninstalled. I hope...