Updating Rams offensive coordinator search/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMBUSH

Starter
I'm not sure what the rush is, can someone help me out ? What's the difference if they hire someone tomorrow or March 3 ?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm not sure what the rush is, can someone help me out ? What's the difference if they hire someone tomorrow or March 3 ?

Nothing, but as far as the board:
x354.jpg

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

It depends...if it is an internal choice then not much, he is giving input on draft choices and can probalby get truely started putting O for the coming year. If it is some external well you have to wonder how much input they can give on the draft at this point (assuming they are currently employed elsewhere) and if they are not around are they really building the relationships within the organization to move forward quickly as possible.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
It is called Time Value. Which means, the amount of time I spend pondering who the hell our OC is vs knowing now.

Just think of it this way, would you rather have 100$ now or on March 3rd? Same concept just a different kind of value.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It is called Time Value. Which means, the amount of time I spend pondering who the hell our OC is vs knowing now.

Just think of it this way, would you rather have 100$ now or on March 3rd? Same concept just a different kind of value.

:LOL:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

$150 on March 3rd :)

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Not really. Many teams promote from within... it's clear the Rams already have a solution on the coaching roster, they're just taking their time making announcements. The person who's going to be OC is probably already going through scouting, prepping for the combine, pro-days, etc. Probably just looking now for a QB and/or TE coach to replace Boras or Cignetti. Or they're talking to Josh McDaniels :D
If the guy within is already playing the OC part then announce it. We watched all the top OC's go to other teams and some did not even want to interview with the Rams. So, yes, major dissappoitment at this point.

jap

Legend
If the guy within is already playing the OC part then announce it. We watched all the top OC's go to other teams and some did not even want to interview with the Rams. So, yes, major dissappointment at this point.

It ain't necessarily so! Remember, Mike Martz was a relative unknown who never held an OC post before he was recruited in that capacity by Dick Vermeil in 1999. Yes, he had previously served as a QB coach and, later on, a WR coach with the Rams before moving on to QB coach duties with the 'Skins.

It comes down to whether we can get a guy who knows or is willing to know the offensive players' strengths & weaknesses very well and is willing to design schemes with that knowledge in mind.

We have built the DL very well. It's time to construct a Battering Ram OL, get a competent QB with some accuracy & a strong arm to compete with Sam, draft|trade for|pick up an extra WR if there ar concerns with how fast|slow Brian Quick is coming along, and whip up an appetizing blend of offensive plays suitable to our players' abilities.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It ain't necessarily so! Remember, Mike Martz was a relative unknown who never held an OC post before he was recruited in that capacity by Dick Vermeil in 1999. Yes, he had previously served as a QB coach and, later on, a WR coach with the Rams before moving on to QB coach duties with the 'Skins.

It comes down to whether we can get a guy who knows or is willing to know the offensive players' strengths & weaknesses very well and is willing to design schemes with that knowledge in mind.

We have built the DL very well. It's time to construct a Battering Ram OL, get a competent QB with some accuracy & a strong arm to compete with Sam, draft|trade for|pick up an extra WR if there ar concerns with how fast|slow Brian Quick is coming along, and whip up an appetizing blend of offensive plays suitable to our players' abilities.
We didnt have the information overload via the internet back in 99, but even still Mike Martz was NOT a relative unknown when he was re-hired by the organization.
He was a young mind who had success at different programs and a breath of fresh air for Vermeil. MM is a bad example here, he is exactly the type of hire we need

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We didnt have the information overload via the internet back in 99, but even still Mike Martz was NOT a relative unknown when he was re-hired by the organization.
He was a young mind who had success at different programs and a breath of fresh air for Vermeil. MM is a bad example here, he is exactly the type of hire we need
I'm not so sure about that.

He was (a relative unknown) to me, at least.

And I'd venture to guess that if you were to conduct a poll on this site (with a lot of Rams fans from back then) that most were not aware of him either.

jap

Legend

Martz was known to the Horns, of course, since he served as QB coach and later as the WR coach where he helped Isaac Bruce grow into the complete receiver he eventually became. However, he was not well known throughout the league. Mike actually had to start out taking a non-paying assistant coaching job to gt started in the NFL. He was an up & coming coaching talent but just one of many throughout the league at large.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The similarity is that they had seen Martz in action as a coach, and properly projected him to be able to handle OC duties. They knew he was knowledgeable, and that he had a confidence about him. Same thing is said of Boras, so who knows, maybe he is ready to take the reins and run this thing.

I think the first time OC is risky for Fish, and it's probably why he's deliberating so hard on it. But the bottom line, IMO, is that he has to hire the best coach and teacher out there. If he does that, I do think this offense can take off even if it's a first time guy.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
So what's the drop dead date for having the OC in place without the threat of stunting the O's growth under the guy? I'd really like to see his butt seated at the table pretty damn soon. I don't want a big learning curve placed before our players with little time to gel.

Would be nice to have one in place by the start of the season. :unsure:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Martz was known to the Horns, of course, since he served as QB coach and later as the WR coach where he helped Isaac Bruce grow into the complete receiver he eventually became. However, he was not well known throughout the league. Mike actually had to start out taking a non-paying assistant coaching job to gt started in the NFL. He was an up & coming coaching talent but just one of many throughout the league at large.
For me, I learned about him after his success. And yes, interesting story of how much he was willing to sacrifice to become a legit coach.

Before that? I didn't know about his stint with the Rams previously... he was well buried down the coaching depth charts, right?

Anyway... I was just commenting on big picture and whether a lot of people considered him a relative unknown... in my recollcetion, he was (a relative unknown - even to a lot of Rams fans).

ram007

Starter
So if Rams TE coach is the new OC, who is the new TE coach? The plot thickens...

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
One thing that helped Martz hit the ground running was that he was working for a more offensive minded head coach in Vermeil and the Rams surrounded him with some very good veteran coaches like Saunders, Hanifan, Mike White, & Wilbert Montgomery.

The Rams have a veteran offensive staff for the most part too so whoever gets hired will also have to mesh/rely on the other assistants as well. We have not heard of any other potential losses on the Rams offensive staff at this point so with the exception of filling a vacancy from an internal hire hopefully the rest of the staff will remain intact.

ram007

Starter
I wonder why 31 other teams never have any interest in Rams coordinators/position coaches/assitant coaches in the last 3 years. (n)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not so sure about that.

He was (a relative unknown) to me, at least.

And I'd venture to guess that if you were to conduct a poll on this site (with a lot of Rams fans from back then) that most were not aware of him either.

I dont know how to do a poll on what people remember, and he may not have been popular around the league but I absolutely remember the hire and was stoked. I didnt know he was going to create the GSOT but I sure was happy that Jerry Rhome was being replaced. Everyone's memory gets tainted over time, no doubt. I was pretty frustrated with Vermeil and his choice in AARP eligible coaches. So the Martz hire was one I was fond of. And back to the original point, there was a inference that our internal coaching hires are unknown like Martz was, and I feel there's no comparison at all. The young up and comer is what I'd like to see, not the in house guy that they promote because they couldnt get anyone else

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont know how to do a poll on what people remember, and he may not have been popular around the league but I absolutely remember the hire and was stoked. I didnt know he was going to create the GSOT but I sure was happy that Jerry Rhome was being replaced. Everyone's memory gets tainted over time, no doubt. I was pretty frustrated with Vermeil and his choice in AARP eligible coaches. So the Martz hire was one I was fond of. And back to the original point, there was a inference that our internal coaching hires are unknown like Martz was, and I feel there's no comparison at all. The young up and comer is what I'd like to see, not the in house guy that they promote because they couldnt get anyone else
Well, there's rumblings it might be Cignetti... so you have that. :)