Updating Rams offensive coordinator search/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Updating Rams offensive coordinator search
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15936/updating-rams-offensive-coordinator-search

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams are the only team still working on completing their search for an offensive coordinator, but with the Super Bowl now complete, it's something that should get resolution soon enough. Probably.

There was never any question that coach Jeff Fisher would be deliberate in making his decision, but with the market of available known coordinators mostly picked over and other jobs full, most signs point to Fisher hiring from within. That leaves the choice likely to come between tight ends coach Rob Boras and quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti. There is no clear favorite between the two, with Boras long looking the part of favorite but some recent momentum for Cignetti.

It's also possible that the holdup on making an in-house hire is Fisher seeking a possible replacement position coach for either Cignetti or Boras before elevating one of the two. There could also be a surprise candidate that Fisher has up his sleeve, though it seems unlikely at this stage. Now that the playoffs are over, all assistants from playoff teams would be available to talk should their teams allow for it.

Boras has coached tight ends in the NFL for 11 seasons, with stops in Jacksonville and Chicago before coming to St. Louis. Though he doesn't have the amount of coordinator experience of Cignetti, he did call plays at the college level before moving to the NFL. He coached the offensive line at UNLV for five seasons, but doubled as offensive coordinator for three of those seasons.

At 44, Boras is well-regarded in league circles and by his players as the type of coach who would eventually move into an expanded role at some point. Had then-coordinator Brian Schottenheimer gotten the head coaching job at Vanderbilt last year, there was a strong sense that Boras would have been promoted then.

Like Boras, Cignetti has never been an offensive coordinator in the NFL, though he has coached quarterbacks in stints in San Francisco and New Orleans before coming to St. Louis. But his play-calling resume runs deeper than Boras. He was offensive coordinator at Fresno State, North Carolina, California, Pittsburgh, and Rutgers during his time in college.

Over the past few weeks, the Rams showed interest in the likes of Adam Gase, Kyle Shanahan, Greg Roman, and Nathaniel Hackett, but they took coordinator jobs in Chicago, Atlanta, and Buffalo, respectively, and Hackett went to Jacksonville as quarterbacks coach. Of that group, only Hackett is known to have had a formal interview.

The Rams also sought interviews with Indianapolis special assistant Rob Chudzinski and Green Bay quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt but were denied on both. Chudzinski eventually re-signed for a bigger role with the Colts.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't get the delay being that Fisher wants to find either Boras or Cignetti's replacements.

Why would that delay it? What's the difference?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I don't get the delay being that Fisher wants to find either Boras or Cignetti's replacements.

Like the article mentions i believe it might have to so with the replacement for either - i.e. if Boras gets the job who gets hired as the new TE coach
But even then it's rather puzzling unless he's looking to hire someone from NE

FRO

Legend

Unless he wanted to announce it after the super bowl so he wouldn't take attention off of the two teams in it. I think there is something up his sleeve.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess that's my point... they promote Boras... now, they need a new TE coach.

But that shouldn't delay promoting Boras... they're going to have to do it anyway.

Just doesn't make sense to me.

Makes me think something more is in the works...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My be the replacements they find will decide who gets the job between Boras, and Cignetti?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
boris-cover-.jpg

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
The longer they wait the more it feels like it's going to be someone like Mike Shanahan. I honestly think they would have promoted Boras/Cig already if they were the plan all along. I'm sure Fisher may not mind them, but he obviously has other ideas as well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Did I miss the update part of this article? Maybe should have been titled "recap" or something.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
They will announce tomorrow. (is what I have said to myself every day for the last 2 and a half weeks)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The longer they wait the more it feels like it's going to be someone like Mike Shanahan. I honestly think they would have promoted Boras/Cig already if they were the plan all along. I'm sure Fisher may not mind them, but he obviously has other ideas as well.

I love the optimism, but be prepared for the internal hire, they are just taking their time because they don't have someone yet to replace the guy they are promoting. When they make the announcement they will finalize the coaching staff going forward.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I love the optimism, but be prepared for the internal hire, they are just taking their time because they don't have someone yet to replace the guy they are promoting. When they make the announcement they will finalize the coaching staff going forward.

That's possible, I just don't see a point in waiting to fill an assistant position, not like that's a huge deal. Makes sense though.

Either way, I trust that Fisher is making the right choice. At this point I have no preference

jap

Legend
Who will it be? Boras? Cignetti? Mad Mike? The ghost of Vince Lombardi? of Knute Rockne?

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I have no problem with an in house hire here. I think both guys are qualified and have earned a shot. I also think that if either one of them were "the guy", the announcement would have already been made. I think Fisher's chair is heating up a little, and he is rightfully shaking every tree looking for the next OC. He simply can't mess this up.

That dude has survived over 20 years being a .500 Coach. Self preservation has bought him some longevity. I am speaking with my heart and not my head when I say Martz should be the choice. I don't think another 7-9 or 6-10ish season is going to get it done for Fisher. He needs this team to win some games at some point, or he is out. A guy that has clung on by his fingernails as long as he has, with that thin of a resume has to see the writing on the wall.

I don't mean to sound snarky, (and I know I do because I was being snarky). I just have never gotten all of the Fisher love. I hope he is a great Coach that has just been in a bad place for 20 years. I also hope that he will hire who he thinks is the best OC, and give him autonomy.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no problem with an in house hire here. I think both guys are qualified and have earned a shot. I also think that if either one of them were "the guy", the announcement would have already been made. I think Fisher's chair is heating up a little, and he is rightfully shaking every tree looking for the next OC. He simply can't mess this up.

That dude has survived over 20 years being a .500 Coach. Self preservation has bought him some longevity. I am speaking with my heart and not my head when I say Martz should be the choice. I don't think another 7-9 or 6-10ish season is going to get it done for Fisher. He needs this team to win some games at some point, or he is out. A guy that has clung on by his fingernails as long as he has, with that thin of a resume has to see the writing on the wall.

I don't mean to sound snarky, (and I know I do because I was being snarky). I just have never gotten all of the Fisher love. I hope he is a great Coach that has just been in a bad place for 20 years. I also hope that he will hire who he thinks is the best OC, and give him autonomy.
Say "Jeff Fisher" and most people think "good coach".

I know I did.

But, when I went back and looked closely at his record... and then looked at how long it had been since his is last winning team (2008) and considered the fact that he was out of football for 2 years, I decided to take a measured approach toward his hiring.

He had a lot to overcome when he took over and the roster now has lots of potential.

But, it's year four and I think a high percentage of fans are expecting a break out year (at least get above .500 and be in the hunt come that last week of the season).

I think he's a smart man and understands how the NFL works and sees that this year is extremely important to his career.

So, I think he is very motivated to get this hire right, as you point out.

My concern is the one obstacle that he has little control over: The distraction of potentially moving and a lame duck season in STL.

If I'm him, I guess all I can do is my best over things I can control... and getting this hire right is Job One.

I don't envy him in this situation.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
every Rams fan is already upset and miserable between the season outcome and SB and uncertain future so Fisher really needs to suck it up and make an announcement for the fans' sake. we all know that he knows who he's picking so wether he doesn't have a replacement yet for whoever he promotes or w/e I don't care we need some kind of news right now. right MEOW sir!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
All things considered I don't think ANY HC could have done a better job than Fisher has in his time in St. Louis!! And 'I DEFY ANYONE' to name me one coach who could rebuild a team AND overcome ALL the setbacks he's had, and come out with a BETTER record!