**Updated: Michael Sam Cut from Rams Roster/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Michael Sam cut from Rams roster
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a335c816-0b13-5381-a1ac-86a5fae30f81.html

Michael Sam's bid to become the first openly gay player to make an NFL regular-season roster won't come in St. Louis.

In making tough final decisions to pare the roster to the 53-man regular season limit, Sam was released by the Rams Saturday. The University of Missouri All-American and SEC defensive player of the year now goes on the waiver wire.

The other 31 teams in the NFL have until noon Sunday to claim Sam. If that doesn't happen, he becomes practice squad eligible.

"I will tell you this, I was pulling for Mike," coach Jeff Fisher said. "I really was. I don't say that very often. But I was. Mike came in here and did everything we asked him to do."

But in the end, Fisher said it was a football decision. The Rams decided to keep nine defensive linemen on the 53-man roster, and undrafted rookie Ethan Westbrooks of West Texas A&M claimed that final spot.

"Ethan was very, very productive in the preseason for us," Fisher said. "He played all four spots and is a very, very talented young player that I think has a really good future."

Fisher thinks Sam could have a future in the NFL, but was noncommittal when asked if the team would try to sign him to the practice squad.

"You know, I can't go there right now," Fisher said. "Coaches don't talk about practice squads. We have to see what happens as far as the (waiver) claims and things.

"We'll know better (Sunday) afternoon. And the practice squad is heavily dependent on what you do at other positions."

The Rams' 53-man roster is light at linebacker, with just five, and includes only two quarterbacks. So those positions among others will be priorities when the 10-person practice squad is assembled.

Practice squad players can practice with the team, but can't play in games. But just because Sam didn't make a Rams defensive line stocked with talent, there's no reason another team won't claim him for its 53-man roster.

"Mike's got ability," Fisher said. "Mike played well. He has the ability to play someplace. It's gotta be the right place. It's gotta be a fit.

"As someone told me years ago, the difference between a good player and an average player in this league is just snaps. It's reps.

"And he's a much better player now than he was when he got here _ as is the case with most of the rookies, the draft choices, and guys that came through here. That's just life in the National Football League."

Fisher personally breaks the bad news to every player he cuts, but he had to do so with Sam by phone because Sam was in Columbia, Mo., watching the Tigers open against South Dakota State. Fisher phoned Sam about an hour before the 3 p.m. (St. Louis time) NFL deadline to make final cuts.

Sam's reaction?

"He said, 'Yes, sir. I understand. Thanks for the opportunity,' " Fisher said.

They agreed to meet Sunday at Rams Park so that Fisher can go into more detail about why Sam was cut and what lies ahead.

On Facebook and on Twitter, Sam offered these thoughts on his Rams experience:

"I want to thank the entire Rams organization and the city of St. Louis for giving me this tremendous opportunity and allowing me to show I can play at this level. I look forward to continuing to build on the progress I made here toward a long and successful career.

"The most worthwhile things in life rarely come easy _ this is a lesson I've always known. The journey continues."

Sam was drafted 249th overall, with just eight picks left in the draft on May 10. He faced long odds from the start because the Rams are stacked on the defensive line, especially at his end position.

From the outset it shaped up as a battle between Sam and Westrbooks for the fifth spot at end behind Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes, and Eugene Sims.

Sam played well, with two sacks during preseason play, including an acclaimed sack of Cleveland rookie Johnny Manziel on Aug. 23, in which Sam's sack celebration included mimicking Manziel's trademark "money" gesture.

But Westbrooks also had two sacks during the preseason and showed more burst and big-play potential. In addition, Westbrooks has the versatility to play inside at tackle, a valuable asset for a backup.

Sam was at peace with himself after unofficially registering six tackles against the Dolphins.

He said he felt he had done all he could to make his case, and was confident he would make some NFL team. He survived Friday's roster moves, when the Rams cut 17 players, but was one of four final roster cuts Saturday.

• RAMS TALK: Fans sound off about Michael Sam

• READER COMMENTS: On Sam's release

RAMS ROSTER CUTS

OFFENSE

WR Emory Blake, OG Travis Bond, WR Austin Franklin, QB Garrett Gilbert, OT Sean Hooey, TE Brad Smelley, OL Mitchell Van Dyke, WR Justin Veltung. OG Brandon Washington.

DEFENSE

DE Kourtnei Brown, S Christian Bryant, DT Matt Conrath, S Avery Cunningham, DT Deantre Harlan, LB Aaron Hill, CB Greg Reid, LB Etienne Sabino, DE Michael Sam, LB Phillip Steward, LB Lawrence Wilson, CB Darren Woodard.

Also, WR Stedman Bailey was placed on the reserve/suspended list.

moklerman

Warner-phile
It's too bad for Sam as he really put in a good effort. But honestly, I'm ready to move on from the media attention. It was nice to hear the Rams in the news but it wasn't really the Rams that were in the news. It was Sam.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If you look on ESPN Rams clubhouse, it's all Michael Sams. It's the STL Sam's Club as far as they're concerned. Do people really care THAT much? Goodness, it's like we cut the Jackie Robinson of football, here. Robinson was a super star.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he makes it past waivers, of which he no way should. Sam is an NFL calibre DE, he just couldn't crack the best, deepest, DL in the NFL. He would be better suited on a team where he has a legit shot to move up the roster. With Aldon Smith out over half the Season, I have no clue why the Niners wouldn't claim him. That's a great fit for Sam. I hope he makes back to our PS, though. Good player and teammate.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Do people really care THAT much?

I dont think so. The media over does it. Sam didnt do the Oprah thing, hasnt been going on a mass interview frenzy, and im sure his agent has gotten a shitload of calls requesting interviews. Sam has done nothing but focus on football. Football fans are over it, the media doesnt know when to quit though and ruins it for fans that have to read a new Sam article everyday. Its a shame to. Yes it is a big deal that he is the first openly gay player, but they are over exposing it beyond belief. Just my opinion though.

SierraRam

Recreational User
With Aldon Smith out over half the Season, I have no clue why the Niners wouldn't claim him.

I was thinking the same thing because the whiners are light on the DL due to injuries and stupidity. We could be facing Sam twice - Imagine the hype! :palm:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I dont think so. The media over does it. Sam didnt do the Oprah thing, hasnt been going on a mass interview frenzy, and im sure his agent has gotten a shitload of calls requesting interviews. Sam has done nothing but focus on football. Football fans are over it, the media doesnt know when to quit though and ruins it for fans that have to read a new Sam article everyday. Its a shame to. Yes it is a big deal that he is the first openly gay player, but they are over exposing it beyond belief. Just my opinion though.

Yep, it's going well beyond football. That's the pits of it. It's nothing new, really, but the double standard is somewhat alarming. All Sam wants is equal treatment to openly gay players, but the media show cases him in to far more attention than anybody on the Rams. That's not being fair. My complaint has nothing to do with Sam, obviously, he's been a good player. I have a beef with the media...

As a Rams fan, I've complained about the media for well over a decade, now.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yep, it's going well beyond football. That's the pits of it. It's nothing new, really, but the double standard is somewhat alarming. All Sam wants is equal treatment to openly gay players, but the media show cases him in to far more attention than anybody on the Rams. That's not being fair. My complaint has nothing to do with Sam, obviously, he's been a good player. I have a beef with the media...

As a Rams fan, I've complained about the media for well over a decade, now.

Agree 100%.

I think all rams fans hate the media now and have for a long while.

Also one last thing since were on this subject. I dont understand why, but in at least 75%(probably more) articles involving Sam, they always have to slip in at some point that he is the first openly gay player ever drafted. Every football fan and beyond know this and have for a while, but they still put it in at some point like we forgot or didnt know. I know its nitpicking but its still annoying. I bet Sam is even annoyed by it all. Media is a blood sucking parasite.

Lol thank god Manzeil wasnt the first openly gay player, thatd be even worse. And please dont let the Browns pick up Sam. All sports media would instantly become the Johnny Sam network.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Agree 100%.

I think all rams fans hate the media now and have for a long while.

Also one last thing since were on this subject. I dont understand why, but in at least 75%(probably more) articles involving Sam, they always have to slip in at some point that he is the first openly gay player ever drafted. Every football fan and beyond know this and have for a while, but they still put it in at some point like we forgot or didnt know. I know its nitpicking but its still annoying. I bet Sam is even annoyed by it all. Media is a blood sucking parasite.

Lol thank god Manzeil wasnt the first openly gay player, thatd be even worse. And please dont let the Browns pick up Sam. All sports media would instantly become the Johnny Sam network.

Yes on the news. It's suppose to be "news," not what we learned many months before he was ever actually picked. It is annoying...

I think Sam would make it on most DL's as a back-up, teams are staying away from circus of reporters that surround Sam every day. That "bathing habits" reporter certainly didn't help Sam find a new team, better opportunity.

Rams4life

And it didn't sound like the rams are bringing him back from what Fisher said in that article

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yes on the news. It's suppose to be "news," not what we learned many months before he was ever actually picked. It is annoying...

I think Sam would make it on most DL's as a back-up, teams are staying away from circus of reporters that surround Sam every day. That "bathing habits" reporter certainly didn't help Sam find a new team, better opportunity.
Yup, its a real shame. The media is impacting his career which is just fucked up. Hes a good guy and a quality football player that easily would make a 53 man roster somewhere IMO if not for the media. They are making it harder for him to follow his goal and dreams. Hope someone grabs him and if not, hope the Rams do for the PS.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
He played very well but Fisher kept his word. He said that he would keep the best player and wouldn't give Sam a free pass. Sam is going to be on a 53 this season, but it's just not this one. Westbrooks played great and earned the spot.