UPDATE: Palmer to Cardinals nearly complete

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/21970631/raiders-deep-in-talks-to-send-qb-palmer-to-cardinals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason ... -cardinals</a>

The Raiders, who have effectively traded for Matt Flynn from Seattle, though nothing is official yet, are trying to resolve their quarterback situation in one fell swoop and are far along in a deal to send Carson Palmer to Arizona, sources said.

Arizona, with Drew Stanton the projected starter now and Brian Hoyer on a restricted free-agent tender, are very interested in Palmer and working to land him. The Raiders would like to put off the arrival of Flynn until being able to get something for Palmer, and the Cardinals are their best option right now.

Palmer is set to make $13 million this season on his current contract. The Raiders will not pay that, and Palmer is averse to the reduced salary option that they put on the table before advancing deep in talks to land Flynn.

Seattle GM John Schneider and Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie are very close and worked together for years in Green Bay, and the hope is that all of these situations can be resolved in a manner that works best for all the teams involved.

Palmer could kill any deal by being unwilling to redo his deal with the Cardinals. And while Arizona is exploring the deal, sources said Palmer would prefer to be a free agent or go elsewhere, which ultimately would stymie any trade between the Cards and Raiders.

Oakland is hoping to get something for him, but a release may end up being the only solution with Flynn headed in pending the finalizing of that trade with Seattle.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Cardinals to trade for Palmer?

CGI_Ram said:
sources said Palmer would prefer to be a free agent or go elsewhere, which ultimately would stymie any trade between the Cards and Raiders.

:lmao:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

If they don't get him some linemen we'll sack him 12 times between our two meetings.IF he gets protection ,him to Fitz would be lethal.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Palmer is done, he's too selfish to play in this league and his talent isn't high enough to demand that type of treatment.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

CGI_Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:
sources said Palmer would prefer to be a free agent or go elsewhere, which ultimately would stymie any trade between the Cards and Raiders.

Palmer will not be playing in 2013 if he doesn't drop the "elite" QB attitude.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

MontanaRamsFan said:
CGI_Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:

Palmer will not be playing in 2013 if he doesn't drop the "elite" QB attitude.

I still fear him with an elite rec and protection.

moklerman

Warner-phile

I can understand where Palmer's head is at. Not that I necessarily agree, but he's had to endure playing for the cheapskate Bengals and now the dysfunctional Raiders.

Going to the Cardinals would just continue that trend unfortunately for him. I think he's still a pretty good QB and could help a team win right away. And as tempting as throwing the Fitzgerald would be for a QB, that organization hasn't really proved itself to be top notch.

I think he wants to stay close to home so he's floated the idea of being a backup in SF but that may be a calculated move more than an indicator that he doesn't have the fire to be a starter anymore. IMO, the chances of CK getting hurt and missing games is very likely and what QB wouldn't want to play for a SB contender with Harbaugh as his coach? I can't stand the guy from my perspective as a fan, but Harbaugh knows what he's doing when it comes to QB's playing well.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

moklerman said:
I can understand where Palmer's head is at. Not that I necessarily agree, but he's had to endure playing for the cheapskate Bengals and now the dysfunctional Raiders.

Going to the Cardinals would just continue that trend unfortunately for him. I think he's still a pretty good QB and could help a team win right away. And as tempting as throwing the Fitzgerald would be for a QB, that organization hasn't really proved itself to be top notch.

I think he wants to stay close to home so he's floated the idea of being a backup in SF but that may be a calculated move more than an indicator that he doesn't have the fire to be a starter anymore. IMO, the chances of CK getting hurt and missing games is very likely and what QB wouldn't want to play for a SB contender with Harbaugh as his coach? I can't stand the guy from my perspective as a fan, but Harbaugh knows what he's doing when it comes to QB's playing well.

Im honestly surprised Fitz hasent taken a paycut to play for a sb contending team to get a chance at a ring or two.

moklerman

Warner-phile

Rabid Ram said:
moklerman said:

Im honestly surprised Fitz hasent taken a paycut to play for a sb contending team to get a chance at a ring or two.
Well, it's not like he's never been. Hard to turn down a gazillion dollars when you've already been to the dance, even if you didn't actually get the ring.

fearsomefour

Legend

The Cardinals making this move just makes too much sense.
They obviously have never recovered from Kurt riding off into the desert sunset. Palmer is a massive, massive upgrade and despite the whining of the Raider idiots, err fans, I know, he is a good QB. Last year he posted a 61% completion rate, threw for 4,000 yards 22 td and only 14 pics. The star RB that was going to be the focus of the O was out much of the year, they had no clear number 1 receiver and an Oline that was a work in progress. Often playing from behind and forced to pass this can explain the high yardage total but not the relatively low number of pics. I think getting Fitz a real QB option to get him the ball and just as importantly find other guys to loosen the coverage on Fitz would do wonders for their O. This trade could be good for 3 to 4 wins by itself and the Cards would no longer (assuming their D stays as good as last year) be an automatic "w" on the schedule.
The NFC West would be an interesting division Qb wise. Would have a veteran trying to reach Pro-bowl status (our dude) and former Pro-bowler trying to regain his form in total with Palmer and two young, exciting run option QBs. I dont want to see the Cardinals complete this deal as it makes those two games much tougher.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

CGI_Ram said:
The Raiders, who have effectively traded for Matt Flynn from Seattle, though nothing is official yet.. Oakland is hoping to get something for him, but a release may end up being the only solution with Flynn headed in pending the finalizing of that trade with Seattle.

Just announced that the trade of Flynn to the Raiders is done. Seattle gets late-round picks in the 2014 and 2015 NFL Drafts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

UPDATE

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/04/01/carson-palmer-arizona-cardinals-oakland-raiders-draft-picks/2042507/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... s/2042507/</a>

The second expected trade of a quarterback Monday is about to go down. The Oakland Raiders are finalizing an agreement to send Carson Palmer to the Arizona Cardinals, a person informed of the talks between the sides told USA TODAY Sports.

The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the trade isn't yet complete, said the teams discussed a swap of late-round picks in 2013 while the Raiders would also pick up another Day 3 draft selection.

As part of the agreement, the person said Palmer will sign a reworked deal with the Cardinals that will pay him $8 million this season along with incentives that will allow him to potentially earn more money.

The Raiders acquired quarterback Matt Flynn from the Seattle Seahawks earlier Monday for undisclosed draft picks.

USA TODAY Sports reported Friday that Palmer turned down a paycut from $13 million to $10 million to remain with the Raiders, an indication of how badly he wanted out of Oakland. He was willing to consider a backup role for a contending team. The San Francisco 49ers were his top choice for such a role, though the Cardinals' willingness to pay him starter money surely helped facilitate this trade.

Palmer wanted to leave the Cincinnati Bengals after the 2010 season and got his wish after being shipped to Oakland midway through the 2011 season after he failed to report to Cincinnati. The Bengals received a 2012 first-round pick last year and a second-rounder that will be used in next month's draft.

The Raiders went 8-16 in Palmer's 24 starts in Oakland. He wasn't able to keep them in playoff contention in 2011 after essentially coming off the couch to take over for injured Jason Campbell. Still, Palmer threw for more than 4,000 yards last season for the first time since 2007 and completed over 60% of his passes for the eighth time in his 10-year career (he didn't play as a rookie for the Bengals in 2003).

The Cardinals cut Kevin Kolb, who signed with the Buffalo Bills over the weekend, on March 15 and expressed confidence in Brian Hoyer and recently signed Drew Stanton. But given the chance to pick up a quarterback who was a No. 1 overall draft pick and allow him to throw to Larry Fitzgerald, they jumped at the opportunity.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I'd rather he went elsewhere, but as I said before, keep sacking him.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

CGI_Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:

Can't blame him, he would be another body buried in the desert.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
images

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Here is what I am very pleased about...He can't run and will be agreat target for the likes of Long, Hayes, Brockers, Quinn and Langford.

colin-kaepernick-jo-lonn-dunbar-william-hayes.jpg