Update on Stedman Bailey/"Probably done playing football" per Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Praying for him and his family. The world has gone absolutely nuts.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

ah man that's terrible. my mother had a small bleed in her brain that made it swell a little and she was like a zombie. but back to normal when the swelling was gone.

hope he makes a full recovery.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thanks for the update guys!!

(y)

I've been hoping for news.

Still sounds like a difficult journey for him.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
All our hopes and prayers going out for a full recovery!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
How do we not have a get well card going yet for this? But Alec got one?

Come on ROD lets get this started.

markstewart67

Rookie
This makes me so sad....this is a really good kid...I hope he pulls through. Prayers being sent to him and his family.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Just watched "Fisher Up Front". For those that have not seen it, they gave an update on Stedman Bailey - he is now out of his medically induced coma and can walk around the hospital halls. A video of it was even sent to the Rams. The players were all pumped. Amazing news! Keep fighting, Stedman!

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Just watched "Fisher Up Front". For those that have not seen it, they gave an update on Stedman Bailey - he is now out of his medically induced coma and can walk around the hospital halls. A video of it was even sent to the Rams. The players were all pumped. Amazing news! Keep fighting, Stedman!

Excellent news and incredible considering the injuries sustained. He's one lucky dude

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Thank fate. It's still going to be a long road, but this is very fortunate.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Glad to hear he is up and getting around, good news for his family and friends

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/07/fisher-says-bailey-probably-done-playing-football/

Fisher says Bailey probably done playing football
Posted by Zac Jackson on December 7, 2015

stedman-bailey.jpg
Getty Images

Rams Coach Jeff Fisher told reporters Monday that wide receiver Stedman Bailey, who was shot twice in the head late last month, is probably done playing football.

Per Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Fisher said that is related to injuries Bailey suffered in the shooting but Fisher did not elaborate.

Fisher said the NFL has lifted the four-game suspension Bailey was serving for violating the league’s drug policy and that the Rams will place Bailey on the non-football injury list.

Last week, Bailey tweeted that he’s doing well and that his recovery has been “nothing short of a miracle.” He underwent more than six hours of surgery after the shooting and spent time in intensive care.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I feared this was coming. I have a lot of experience dealing with patients recovering from traumatic brain injuries. As soon as I saw the protocol they were looking for with him that many days post-surgery e.g. just hoping he would be responsive to commands while not yet fully "awake" from the coma ("wiggle your toes!").... I had a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach because at that point I knew it was over for Stedman in the NFL barring an absolute miracle. He might well recover still. And thanks be to God it looks like he will. But his motor skills will not be at the NFL level. Unless, of course, we see a miracle. I hope that we do. So sad and tragic to see young lives altered by cowards in this way. However, I have seen worse. Young people reduced to total vegetables by drunk drivers crashing into them, leading to severe brain haemorrhaging. If Stedman can heal and have a nice quality of life, then he should thank his lucky stars.

Stedman was one of my favorite Rams on the field. I also follow the Rams on their social media accounts. Stedman was easily my favorite Ram as a person, from what I could see through the limited window into the players' lives online that they let the public view. And that speaks to Stedman in the highest regard, rather than a knock on any others.He seems like a fun, nice dude but above that an amazing father. The love for his son is immediately apparent. You can tell that little boy is the world for him. I continue to pray daily he recovers to raise his beautiful son and enjoy the things in life that matter more than football.

Already this post is getting long. But again, I have lots of experience with traumatic brain injury patients so this hits close to home. Just thinking somebody would do this always gets me worked up.

Last edited:

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Well that's just shitty news, glad he's alive and hope his life turns out OK. Just been an awesome year all the way around for the Rams community....

rams2050

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I, too, feared this outcome once I'd heard that he had two bullets to the head. I lived with the constant pain of my daughter whose fiance was in a motorcycle crash, went into a coma for 37 days and literally had to learn everything all over again -- including not to eat the poop out of his diaper. (No lie!)

I was heartened by the news that he was awake and talking but because of hanging around at the rehab clinic for so many months, I knew it was not going to be easy for Sted to come back from that in any case, but especially at the NFL level.

Continue to improve, guy, and prove all of us Prophets of Doom WRONG! I hope you do!