Ultimate 2011 Rams O-line Highlights (Bradford's defense)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm pretty sick and tired of all the criticism of Bradford this year, so I made this. Seems there's an epidemic of short-shortsightedness/amnesia spreading across Rams Nation. While watching this, go ahead and do the Mississippi count after the ball is snapped. And don't do the sandlot pick-up football game Mississippi count either (i.e. "missippi"). Tell me how many times you actually get all the way through the number three and can even begin to utter the number "four." 3-step drops, 5-step drops, 7-step drops, shotgun, none of it mattered. Dude had a wave of players in his face almost immediately - all year.

Priority One - FIX THIS.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dp_n_rYjJ0[/youtube]

Priority Two - Ease up on Sam Bradford until the season starts. Jackwads.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Re: Ultimate 2011 Rams O-line Highlights (Bradford's defense

I once wished I could be a NFL QB not no more :|

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan

Man...

Count me on board for the Kalil bandwagon.

That was rough to watch.

Anonymous

X said:
I'm pretty sick and tired of all the criticism of Bradford this year, so I made this. Seems there's an epidemic of short-shortsightedness/amnesia spreading across Rams Nation. While watching this, go ahead and do the Mississippi count after the ball is snapped. And don't do the sandlot pick-up football game Mississippi count either (i.e. "missippi"). Tell me how many times you actually get all the way through the number three and can even begin to utter the number "four." 3-step drops, 5-step drops, 7-step drops, shotgun, none of it mattered. Dude had a wave of players in his face almost immediately - all year.

Priority One - FIX THIS.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dp_n_rYjJ0[/youtube]

Priority Two - Ease up on Sam Bradford until the season starts. Jackwads.

Yet, at the same time, there are some of us who see where Bradford needs to improve--and was exposed (as not fully devloped) last year (compared to 2010)--independent of the OL issues.

AND we see the OL issues.

It is true that dismissing the guy entirely while ignoring the OL issues is kind of blind.

I also add in the entire offensive approach McD took. It's like he expected young players just to act like veterans and execute a new offense at the level required just right off the bat. My bet is that Brian S will not make that mistake.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will

That is why Saffold and Dahl are the only ones I want back. Goldberg,Bell,Brown... good luck with your new teams.

Anonymous

Cullen Bryant said:
That is why Saffold and Dahl are the only ones I want back. Goldberg,Bell,Brown... good luck with your new teams.

Fisher thinks he can use Bell.

I think Fisher can recover Brown. Last year Brown reported out of shape and he looked as out of sync in the new system as every other lineman did.

Fisher will remember Brown playing well as a starter for the Ravens. It seems like he's one of those coaches who believes he can get players on track, or in this case back on track.

And let's hope he's right. Adding 3 new starters to the OL is just not going to work that well in year one. That's basically starting over.

bluecoconuts

Legend

QuantumOfSalas said:
Man...

Count me on board for the Kalil bandwagon.

That was rough to watch.

Yeah seriously. That was just depressing...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zn said:
Yet, at the same time, there are some of us who see where Bradford needs to improve--and was exposed (as not fully devloped) last year (compared to 2010)--independent of the OL issues.

It is true that dismissing the guy entirely while ignoring the OL issues is kind of blind.

I also add in the entire offensive approach McD took. It's like he expected young players just to act like veterans and execute a new offense at the level required just right off the bat. My bet is that Brian S will not make that mistake.
Well sure. Any QB with only 26 logged games is going to need to improve at at least SOME things. Bradford already pointed out the things he has to work on, so that's no mystery, and it's not insulting to point it out. I don't know that he was "exposed" in as much as he was asked to do the improbable. As in, get on the same page with receivers he'd never worked with before and sync up their telepathy on reading defenses together. That was retarded.

It's no mystery that I'm disenchanted with what McDaniels brought to the table or the things he tried to do with what he had at hand. But I'm not going to belabor that point. He's gone and good riddance. I was only trying to illustrate the fallacy in the claims that Bradford (a) couldn't hold onto the ball (b) locked on to receivers (c) lacked pocket presence, and (d) wasn't mobile. CLEARLY he only had 3 or less seconds to do what he had to do, and do it without a consistent target. MSW - gone. Salas - gone. Amendola - gone. Pettis - gone. Alexander - rarely there. Clayton - never showed up. Kendricks - Ooops. And so on. So when you have the kind of support he had, coupled with the SEVERE lack of protection he had (through new system responsibilities, no camp and injuries), then you're bound to get your ass kicked.

That's all I wanted people to see.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will

zn said:
Cullen Bryant said:

I think Fisher can recover Brown. Last year Brown reported out of shape and he looked as out of sync in the new system as every other lineman did.

Fisher will remember Brown playing well as a starter for the Ravens. It seems like he's one of those coaches who believes he can get players on track, or in this case back on track.

And let's hope he's right. Adding 3 new starters to the OL is just not going to work that well in year one. That's basically starting over.

Well if Fishers a miracle worker I'm all for it but I don't see how bringing the same guys back is going to improve things. What do they say about trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results? We need some new blood on the o-line.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:

Well sure. Any QB with only 26 logged games is going to need to improve at at least SOME things. Bradford already pointed out the things he has to work on, so that's no mystery, and it's not insulting to point it out. I don't know that he was "exposed" in as much as he was asked to do the improbable. As in, get on the same page with receivers he'd never worked with before and sync up their telepathy on reading defenses together. That was retarded.

It's no mystery that I'm disenchanted with what McDaniels brought to the table or the things he tried to do with what he had at hand. But I'm not going to belabor that point. He's gone and good riddance. I was only trying to illustrate the fallacy in the claims that Bradford (a) couldn't hold onto the ball (b) locked on to receivers (c) lacked pocket presence, and (d) wasn't mobile. CLEARLY he only had 3 or less seconds to do what he had to do, and do it without a consistent target. MSW - gone. Salas - gone. Amendola - gone. Pettis - gone. Alexander - rarely there. Clayton - never showed up. Kendricks - Ooops. And so on. So when you have the kind of support he had, coupled with the SEVERE lack of protection he had (through new system responsibilities, no camp and injuries), then you're bound to get your ass kicked.

That's all I wanted people to see.

"Exposed" refers to the fact that he has trouble with accuracy and timing in the medium and deep medium ranges; that compares to 2010, when he was just asked to do that that much. The key here is that Shurmur was smart enough to bring him along slowly WHILE winning games with a rookie who was 3rd in the league in attempts (combing all those things was quite a feat). McD just threw him out there, seemingly, and asked him to do everything. (Or of McD did scale things to adjust for the players, he didn't do a good enough job.)

Anonymous

Cullen Bryant said:
zn said:
Cullen Bryant said:

Well if Fishers a miracle worker I'm all for it but I don't see how bringing the same guys back is going to improve things. What do they say about trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results? We need some new blood on the o-line.

It wouldn't be a miracle. Brown didn't lose any talent. He had a bad year after reporting out of shape and playing in a new system after a lockout. Fixing that just means ordinary coaching.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

zn said:
Cullen Bryant said:
zn said:
Cullen Bryant said:

It wouldn't be a miracle. Brown didn't lose any talent. He had a bad year after reporting out of shape and playing in a new system after a lockout. Fixing that just means ordinary coaching.
We hope. We've got Bordreau redux here now. Think he's better than Loney? One thing we know for sure. Neither of them can do shit when O-linemen start ending up on IR. A strong running attack can help reduce that, and nearly all linemen are better at THAT than pass blocking for 17 seconds.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will

zn said:
Cullen Bryant said:
zn said:
Cullen Bryant said:

I hope you're right, then all we need is a tackle but I think Brown has been a disappointment since we signed him. Bell is ok, nothing special. This o-line has been bad for years not just last year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Cullen Bryant said:
I hope you're right, then all we need is a tackle but I think Brown has been a disappointment since we signed him. Bell is ok, nothing special. This o-line has been bad for years not just last year.
I tend to agree. I think Shurmur masked a lot of what the O-line couldn't do in 2010. Then in 2011 they were called upon to do much more and failed at an epic level. To the point that they started dropping like flies. However, there's still that off chance that last year was just a perfect storm of Murphy's law. If it could go wrong, it sure as hell did.

If Bordreau, McGinnis and Fisher can make warriors out of these guys, then obviously I'm all for that. It's perfectly reasonable to feel skeptical about it though. I think an infusion of middle-to-late round guys, UDFAs and some free agents will go a long way in weeding out the less than stellar guys.

Just please. Please. PLEASE!. No more injury plagued seasons. That's all I ask.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
Cullen Bryant said:
zn said:
Cullen Bryant said:

We hope. We've got Bordreau redux here now. Think he's better than Loney? One thing we know for sure. Neither of them can do shyte when O-linemen start ending up on IR. A strong running attack can help reduce that, and nearly all linemen are better at THAT than pass blocking for 17 seconds.

I think the issue was Brown. He can be recuperated if he wants to be. The coaching part is normal.

Anonymous

X said:
Cullen Bryant said:
I tend to agree. I think Shurmur masked a lot of what the O-line couldn't do in 2010. Then in 2011 they were called upon to do much more and failed at an epic level. .

The way I see it, it's exactly the reverse.

First, remember, the original starting OL only played together the first third or less of the season. Yes before the injuries the OL was struggling. Venturi's take was this--at first he thought they didn't know all the new protections, but then he saw that they DID know them, but weren't prepared to execute them in real time. They weren't cohesive or coherent at the "reps" level, and it was physical thing, driven by the lockout. (Want an example? Remember the Bradford fumble against the Eagles? That happened because he tripped over a lineman. How often is a line so out of rhythm that the qb trips over one? That's all timing and execution.) They hadn't adjusted to the new offense. It showed. Timing was off, reactions were off, cohesion was off, they were out of sync. Now that's Venturi. I happen to agree with him but that was his analysis.

Then of course it was injuries.

But in the early part it was something else too. I argue that McD had them doing things they couldn't do yet--it was an execution issue.

Shurmur, on the other hand, was a pragmatist who knew what his players could do. He had a rookie qb, no WRs (after losing Clayton), and the running game was subpar (SJ wasn't the same player in 2010 he was in 09 and 2011). So he just did what worked. What worked might have been more if he still had Avery and Clayton (see the New England preseason game, when that offense wasn't limited to ball control passes to subpar receivers).

In short, McD overexposed players who weren't ready to execute his offense yet, and did not scale it back.

In contrast PS was always a pragmatist who made the best out of what his players could actually do.

To me, the OL issues in early 2011 were all about execution, not talent. (It didn't help that Brown was out of shape and especially behind and out of sync.)

If it was mostly execution, then, a good coach can get them back on track. So I don't think it will be 3 new OL players. I say it will be 2 at most.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

zn said:
X said:
Cullen Bryant said:
I tend to agree. I think Shurmur masked a lot of what the O-line couldn't do in 2010. Then in 2011 they were called upon to do much more and failed at an epic level. .

The way I see it, it's exactly the reverse.

First, remember, the original starting OL only played together the first third or less of the season. Yes before the injuries the OL was struggling. Venturi's take was this--at first he thought they didn't know all the new protections, but then he saw that they DID know them, but weren't prepared to execute them in real time. They weren't cohesive or coherent at the "reps" level, and it was physical thing, driven by the lockout. (Want an example? Remember the Bradford fumble against the Eagles? That happened because he tripped over a lineman. How often is a line so out of rhythm that the qb trips over one? That's all timing and execution.) They hadn't adjusted to the new offense. It showed. Timing was off, reactions were off, cohesion was off, they were out of sync. Now that's Venturi. I happen to agree with him but that was his analysis.

Then of course it was injuries.

But in the early part it was something else too. I argue that McD had them doing things they couldn't do yet--it was an execution issue.

Shurmur, on the other hand, was a pragmatist who knew what his players could do. He had a rookie qb, no WRs (after losing Clayton), and the running game was subpar (SJ wasn't the same player in 2010 he was in 09 and 2011). So he just did what worked. What worked might have been more if he still had Avery and Clayton (see the New England preseason game, when that offense wasn't limited to ball control passes to subpar receivers).

In short, McD overexposed players who weren't ready to execute his offense yet, and did not scale it back.

In contrast PS was always a pragmatist who made the best out of what his players could actually do.

To me, the OL issues in early 2011 were all about execution, not talent. (It didn't help that Brown was out of shape and especially behind and out of sync.)

If it was mostly execution, then, a good coach can get them back on track. So I don't think it will be 3 new OL players. I say it will be 2 at most.
Yeah, but that's not necessarily the reverse of what I was saying. That's pretty much the same thing I said. Ain't it? My condensed version was that Shurmur masked a lot of deficiencies. I still don't think he's going to be a very good OC in this league. Not to the point that you can win with his schemes or philosophies. But that's neither here nor there. If Shurmur made the O-line (even WITH a camp) run 7-step drops or force sight-adjustments and line calls on Bradford (and the O-line), then it would have been more of the same. He must have known that wasn't the way to bring along a rookie QB and a new line. That, or he simply doesn't call those types of plays.

The jury's still out on the guards though. Dahl was a good signing, but Bell.... ? We can speculate that he'll regain his form and whatnot, but there must have been a reason why he was released and signed again. Can Fisher resurrect his career? Hopefully. We just don't know right now. But yeah, I agree with your assessment of their play in 2011. Like I said, they were called upon to do much more in 2011, and they failed big time. Initially. Then of course injuries wiped out any possibility that they could get the reps together that would have them playing in concert - like a machine. I really, really, really hope we don't have to endure anything like that again. Like in 07, 08, 09 and 11. Fisher's a great hire and all, but not even HE can sport a winning record through that. See 2004 and 2005.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Since Fisher has worked with Bell before, if he believes he can play I'll trust him. Same with Smith, but his concussions still worry me. Maybe a new helmet can work? Hard to say.

I wouldn't be shocked to see 3 new starters on the line. I expect a minimum of one.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

bluecoconuts said:
Since Fisher has worked with Bell before, if he believes he can play I'll trust him. Same with Smith, but his concussions still worry me. Maybe a new helmet can work? Hard to say.

I wouldn't be shocked to see 3 new starters on the line. I expect a minimum of one.

I'm expecting three, although if Smith restructures his contract, it might be easier to move him to left guard where he can excel in run-blocking and not have to worry about technique as much as he would at right tackle (and yes, he should definitely try that new helmet before he ends up like Kris Dielman). I'm expecting Brown to be cut in June, and I don't think that we'll resign Bell. Harvey Dahl and Rodger Saffold should be the ones to build around. Hopefully, someone will surprise us (such as Tim Barnes. Please ignore the fact that I'm hyping up yet another Mizzou player) and we'll have one less position to fill. Of course, they could also opt to cut Smith and keep Bell and/or Brown - or they could cut all three of them and draft players as needed.

There are a lot of different options to play with, and I really don't care how it plays out. I'm just hoping that it works and that Bradford has more time to throw than he did in this video. Honestly, it was one of the most excrutiating things I've watched in recent times.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Memento said:
I'm just hoping that it works and that Bradford has more time to throw than he did in this video. Honestly, it was one of the most excrutiating things I've watched in recent times.
Wasn't any picnic to make it either, brother - let me tell ya. Kinda got pissed while I was piecing it together, thinking to myself, "yeah, he has problems holding onto the ball (while being blind-sided) and he holds onto the ball too long (all 2 seconds)." It was a necessary evil though to make it. People NEED to see that before they get all stupid with their 'Bradford sucks' talk.

I might have been too late though. :neh: