UFR: What to Make of Rams Offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
In this episode of Upon Further Review, the Post-Dispatch's Bryan Burwell chats about the potential of the Rams offense such as which wide receivers have showed promise during the preseason.

[pd]2616810066001[/pd]
<a class="postlink" href="http://cinesport.stltoday.com/saint-louis-post-dispatch-upon-further-review/ufr-what-to-make-of-rams-offense/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cinesport.stltoday.com/saint-lou ... s-offense/</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is a must watch.

Burwell is right; there are weapons with potential now. A big difference from years prior.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Very good video, have to agree on all points there. Especially the bit about the attention that Austin was getting, especially after last week he didn't really do anything. Pretty soon teams are going to start keeping safety's back for Givens, trying to figure out who to give more attention to, Cook or Austin, and then Quick/Bailey/Pettis/Richardson/Pead are going to start torching defenses. This is the first time since we had Holt Bruce and Faulk on the field together that defenses had to pick their poison.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bluecoconuts said:
Especially the bit about the attention that Austin was getting,

I have to admit; if Burwell is right, I missed this.

And... it's a good sign of things to come!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm buying what Burwell is selling concerning the offense. We are only being given peeks at what this O is gonna bring to the table in preseason games 1 and 2. The potential mismatches are all over the field now. Everybody can't be double covered,,, the opposing defenses are going to have to pick their poison.

Loved what D Rich did when he came into the game... He should be getting more props than he is. Everybody is so concerned with Pead's progression that they're missing the the weapon that D Rich already IS. My guess is that he is going to burn the hell out of more than a handful of defenses this year.

Psyched

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
This was definitely spot on. When Cook took off and started running away from people, I said something to my wife (and got ignored as usual.....) but to me this was very significant. Also....I did notice on Austin deep route the safety was already over the top...he definitely has people's attention. :sly:

FLramFAN

Rookie
bomebadeeda said:
This was definitely spot on. When Cook took off and started running away from people, I said something to my wife (and got ignored as usual.....) but to me this was very significant. Also....I did notice on Austin deep route the safety was already over the top...he definitely has people's attention. :sly:

I'd noted in a couple of forums that I just want to see the Rams get TA involved in 4 plays in each preseason game and then get him out of there. He doesn't have to make the play for it to be effective for the real season.

Get him a short screen pass. Just throw it to him. Don't care if he catches it or gets a lot of yards.

Take a deep shot down field with him.

Get him involved in a drag play when Cook clears the middle.

Put him the backfield, even if he doesn't touch the ball.

By doing this, teams will have to game plan for all of it. They won't be able to assume he's only going to be involved in the short passing game, etc.

Obviously you can't just have TA in for 4 plays and do all of this consecutively. But you could do it over say 10-12 plays and then get him out of the game and keep him healthy.

bluecoconuts

Legend
FLramFAN said:
bomebadeeda said:

I'd noted in a couple of forums that I just want to see the Rams get TA involved in 4 plays in each preseason game and then get him out of there. He doesn't have to make the play for it to be effective for the real season.

Get him a short screen pass. Just throw it to him. Don't care if he catches it or gets a lot of yards.

Take a deep shot down field with him.

Get him involved in a drag play when Cook clears the middle.

Put him the backfield, even if he doesn't touch the ball.

By doing this, teams will have to game plan for all of it. They won't be able to assume he's only going to be involved in the short passing game, etc.

Obviously you can't just have TA in for 4 plays and do all of this consecutively. But you could do it over say 10-12 plays and then get him out of the game and keep him healthy.

They wont do that, teams already know that the Rams are going to do this and that Austin is going to be used all over the field.

The Rams wont do it in the preseason because they don't want teams to see the formations or have any idea about what is going to happen, they want it to be a total surprise.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
it's that 3rd wide receiver that makes a decent offense into a powerful one. austin and givens will get attention from db's and cook as a TE from quicker lb's. so bailey, pettis, or quick need to be that third reliable guy.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I like that Burwell is doing this online video now. I'm not a fan of all his stuff, but this seems to fit him a lot better. I agree with everything said about the offense, but he also didn't mention the protection Sam has been getting. To me that's greater than anything. Year 2 with a line and these weapons, if they can protect him... Seriously, watch the fuck out. They are still young and there are new faces, so they need time to gel. Not only Sam with the receivers, but just working out the kinks of lining up correctly, running plays in real game scenarios, the line coming together, etc.

C.A.V.E. Citizens Against Virtually Everything . LOL That's really good actually. I'm going to have to start using that. :lmao: Pretty much sums up Ram Stalk completely.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
C.A.V.E. Citizens Against Virtually Everything . LOL That's really good actually. I'm going to have to start using that. :lmao: Pretty much sums up Ram Stalk completely.
That's spot-freaking-on. And considering they like to whine like lil bitches...

C.A.V.E. Women.

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
This is a must watch.

Burwell is right; there are weapons with potential now. A big difference from years prior.
good stuff from Burwell right up to and including his final comment about stadium issues
train

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Username said:
I like that Burwell is doing this online video now. I'm not a fan of all his stuff, but this seams to fit him a lot better. I agree with everything said about the offense, but he also didn't mention the protection Sam has been getting. To me that's greater than anything. Year 2 with a line and these weapons, if they can protect him... Seriously, watch the freak out. They are still young and there are new faces, so they need time to gel. Not only Sam with the receivers, but just working out the kinks of lining up correctly, running plays in real game scenarios, the line coming together, etc.

This is prolly premature, but with all this potential and progression throughout the season, I can see us getting deeper in depth in the 2014 draft.

F. Mulder

Starter
Three things and you'll be surprised how the offense looks:

1) avoid 3rd and long (sacks and stupid holding penalties)

2) Improve your 3rd down and short conversions. Is it just me or when it's 3rd and 1 or 2 you just know they aren't going to make it while every other team has no problem?

3) Improve your red zone percentage. 50 yard and plus FGs are like bonuses; kicking FGs from inside the 20 is an Offensive loss IMO.

Play calling, Discipline (penalties), and Execution.

BTW, run more hurry up/no huddle stuff and roll outs.

Now all will be well :bg:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
F. Mulder added:
2) Improve your 3rd down and short conversions. Is it just me or when it's 3rd and 1 or 2 you just know they aren't going to make it while every other team has no problem?
I'd like to see us make most of those 3rd and shorts but what I really want to see is our pass receivers not running 1 1/2 yards routes when it's 3rd and 2. :ahahah: :balling: