UFR: Burwell sits down with Brian Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
On this episode of Upon Further Review, the Post-Dispatch's Bryan Burwell sits down with Rams second-year receiver Brian Quick to talk about his learning curve and expectations moving forward

[pd]2474658111001[/pd]
<a class="postlink" href="http://cinesport.stltoday.com/saint-louis-post-dispatch-upon-further-review/ufr-quick-expects-big-things-in-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cinesport.stltoday.com/saint-lou ... s-in-2013/</a>

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
:yay1: :dancin: I can't wait for the first game of the season!!!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm sure ready. I'm glad it isn't tomorrow because I'm enjoying the hoopla and hope but I'm feeling it a bit more every day!!!! GO RAMS!!!!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I can see why he needed the extra time to learn the offense. I think this guy needs to stay in the same offense with the same OC for several years to optimize his skills.

I like this new UFR gig by Burwell. I was never impressed with his work before but all the segments of his new gig have been good.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Every single person who has talked about the Rams offense always uses the words fast and explosive. Players, coaches, reporters both local and national, everyone is saying the same thing. This is a lot of fun but I'm ready for the season. 3 more months.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I just can't wait until at least preseason. I want to see how much better the second year players will be. It should be a lot of fun this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Quick's not unlike a lot of rookies at WR. It's one of the more difficult positions to learn.

I'm excited just hearing his confidence. That's awesome.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Quick if he comes strong next year which I hope look out Nfc west. We need the physical tools of Quick to match speed and skill of Austin.

nighttrain

Legend
GreeneCounty said:
Quick if he comes strong next year which I hope look out Nfc west. We need the physical tools of Quick to match speed and skill of Austin.
:plus1: looking for Quick to be huge this year, and yeah it's a play on words
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
GreeneCounty said:

I agree with you GC.

I think we can be a very good offense without BQ emerging...but he's the key to an electric leap forward. Givens = proven. Cook = proven. Austin = guaranteed. Quick = holy shit let's hope!

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
GreeneCounty said:

I agree with you GC.

I think we can be a very good offense without BQ emerging...but he's the key to an electric leap forward. Givens = proven. Cook = proven. Austin = guaranteed. Quick = holy shit let's hope!

+1

BTW. I found it somewhat funny that it was Bryan interviewing Brian and Brian. Im probably the only one. lol

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
libertadrocks said:
CGI_Ram said:
GreeneCounty said:

I agree with you GC.

I think we can be a very good offense without BQ emerging...but he's the key to an electric leap forward. Givens = proven. Cook = proven. Austin = guaranteed. Quick = holy shyte let's hope!

+1

BTW. I found it somewhat funny that it was Bryan interviewing Brian and Brian. Im probably the only one. lol

I didn't catch that. Good eye...err...ear? Good observation? Yeah, good observation.

F. Mulder

Starter
It has to be such a jump from coming from a small school where you only have a few routes and can probably get away with rounding routes and not being precise and getting away with things on pure physical ability to a league where everyone is like an All Pro to you and the plays seem like a phone book. You could see how much Quick seemed to think everything through last year, even counting his steps before his cuts etc. IF the plays have been absorbed and he used his albeit limited pro experience from last season, he should be able to play freely and without thinking and that will show his real ability. I maintain that it is critical for someone like Quick (who i think had his confidence shaken a bit last year) to always be involved in games early. I don't care if he catches a 2 yard bubble screen early on, he just strikes me as someone who, when involved, can be very very good, vs. someone who can disappear if he doesn't get involved early.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
brokeu91 said:
I just can't wait until at least preseason. I want to see how much better the second year players will be. It should be a lot of fun this year.

Man preseason is not where it's at, it's all about training camp....I can not wait to visit home and go down to Rams Park a few times!!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
F. Mulder said:
I maintain that it is critical for someone like Quick (who i think had his confidence shaken a bit last year) to always be involved in games early. I don't care if he catches a 2 yard bubble screen early on, he just strikes me as someone who, when involved, can be very very good, vs. someone who can disappear if he doesn't get involved early.

That is an interesting observation.

:tu:

wv

Rookie
Fwiw, Boylhart's old analysis

w
v

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archive/2012profiles/Brian.Quick.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archive/ ... .Quick.htm</a>

Brian Quick WR Appalachian St

TALENT BOARD

Round 2

STRENGTHS

Brian has remarkable athletic talent to play football at the wide receiver position. He has excellent size and strength and is one of the fastest players in this draft. He is also one of the quickest. His ten yard split is quicker than most others who are smaller than Brian. He has quick feet, terrific hands and is very adept at catching the ball down the field for the long touchdown. He has speed and quickness all through his forty time which will make it very hard for any defensive back to keep up with him on deep balls when the team that drafts him gives a QB max protection. Brian will run all the routes and will give you some run after the catch yardage, but truthfully Brian is on your team and on the field to catch the deep ball and score a touchdown at least once a game. Brian is a Randy Moss, Plexico Burris type of receiver -- an impact receiver.

CONCERNS

Brian can be shut down. In a game against Maine, Brian became frustrated and committed unnecessary penalties out of that frustration, showing an arrogant or competitive attitude -- I'm not sure which. Either way, he didn't react very well to adversity in that game. The level of competition will be a question for some teams, but the skills and talent are there. Brian can be muscled off his routes. Tough corners can intimidate him into not running his routes the way he runs them in practice. If he comes off the line clean, he is tough to handle, but that is not a #1 wide receiver -- that is a #2 wide receiver. The questions for me are: How coachable is Brian? How well will he handle adversity? How well will he handle success and the money? I don't have enough film to give you any insight on those issues, but I do have questions that would need to be answered. Do your homework on this kid's maturity on and off the field because in the games I saw, he gave some signals that he was lacking it, perhaps in many areas.

BOTTOM LINE

There is no question about Brian's talent except to say, where has he been and why wasn't he in a bigger college program all along? Really, isn't that the big question mark? College teams steal scholarship players all the time from other teams so why is someone with this much talent playing for Appalachian St and not for Georgia, Alabama or Virginia Tech? Maybe the answer is simple -- perhaps he just liked the program and loved the coaches, had other offers but wanted to stay. The problem with that is that on the field, Brian sends the signal he wants it all. I love Brian's talent, but I do question his work ethic and wonder about his maturity. Is he ready for the next level mentally? Brian is the type of receiver you need on your team to have a successful passing game, but he is not the type of receiver you build your game plan around. He is dangerous, but not reliable. He's not the "moving the chains" receiver that others are in this draft, but he is dangerous. If you do build your passing game around him, he will disappoint you because when a defensive back gets physical with Brian, he will disappear. Brian might sneak into the 1st round or be drafted in the 2nd round but if there are problems we don't know about, look for him dropping into the 3rd or 4th rounds. Owners do not want off field problems anymore, no matter how talented a player is. Yeah, right!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
wv said:
he will disappoint you because when a defensive back gets physical with Brian, he will disappear[/b].

Maybe a few more stiff arms from the young lad will change that.