UDFA Matt Daniels: Quotes, Notes and Emotes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
First, some direct quotes from Daniels that I thought were pretty cool.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijEHxnSPmkg[/youtube]

Now, some notes from his former HC and some commentary....

“He’s extremely aware, alert and bright,” said [Duke head coach David] Cutcliffe. “He has great speed and size. Everybody we play knows where he is, because of the way he will hit you.”

“I want to contact the NCAA and see if I can get him for a sixth, seventh and eighth year,” said Cutcliffe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the Tar Heels killed the clock in the fourth quarter, one Duke player wasn’t ready for everything to end—the game, the promise of the 2011 season, and his college career. Safety Matt Daniels tackled Bernard on a late run, wrestling him to the ground and tearing off Bernard’s helmet in the process. Daniels and Bernard exchanged words until officials stepped between them.

Afterward, Bernard blamed the incident on a helmet strap that needed tightening, then paused and added, “Number 40 was definitely going at it.”

Opponents and teammates alike often refer to Daniels by number—40—instead of his name. Perhaps it’s because of the way he jumps off the game film they all watch endlessly. “Everyone knows where number 40 is all the time,” said teammate Ross Cockrell, “and they know that when he comes, he’s bringing wood.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Matt is our best football player,” head coach David Cutcliffe said. “(Georgia Tech coach) Paul Johnson said he’s the best player in the ACC. He does it every single week, with no off days. He’s a vicious tackler, a great leader, and the epitome of a captain.”

“It would be an injustice if he doesn’t end up on someone’s All America team,” Cutcliffe finished.

“He brought such intensity and effort on the last Tuesday he practiced for us, you’d have thought he was a freshman trying to make the squad,” Cutcliffe said.

As the losses mounted and Duke’s goals for the season slipped off the table, one-by-one, Daniels never let down. He went out on his shield, leaving an example for the younger players to emulate as they continue to build the program.

“It helps me to realize I left Duke a better place than I found it,” Daniels said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Matt Daniels is everything a professional football team, a college football team, a high school football team, a junior college football team would be looking for," Duke head coach David Cutcliffe said. "He's the total package, a great person, great student, great football player. The reason pro football people have liked him all along is he's a great tackler, gets his hands on the ball a lot on the secondary and rarely misses a tackle. He tackles the way you wanted people to tackle 50 years ago. He's a great contact player and a guy that they're gonna be able to count on."

Daniels, who served as a team captain in 2011, played in 46 career games and compiled totals of 324 tackles, 13.0 tackles for loss, four interceptions, seven caused fumbles, three fumble recoveries and 27 pass breakups. On Duke's all-time records charts, he ranks 13th in tackles, third in caused fumbles and tied for sixth in pass breakups.

"I'm extremely proud of Matt, extremely happy for him," Cutcliffe said. "Stay injury-free and play a lot of years, young man. He could be a great football coach. I would love to see Matt pursue that career because he is a very, very special young man."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniels_Feature_420_310.jpg

May 17 - Rams undrafted rookie S Matt Daniels underwent arthroscopic knee surgery just prior to the draft. This may have contributed to his UDFA status. The surgery was performed just over seven weeks ago, and Daniels is sitting out OTAs. A fourth- or fifth-round prospect pre-injury, Daniels will battle for a roster spot when he heals up.

For his career, Daniels posted 324 tackles, 13 for loss, four interceptions, seven forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and 27 pass breakups.

“Jeff Fisher is a hard hitting kind of guy and he loves hard hitting safeties,” Daniels said. “I believe I am that so I think I will be a great fit here with a great coach and so I am looking forward to the opportunity.”

EXPLICIT LANGUAGE

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2QECMRZbn0[/youtube]

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Well, someone has to ask this question, I guess it'll be me. Who would you guys want to start for FS and SS?
Stewart or Daniels??? I love competition! :hehe:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Barrison6 said:
Well, someone has to ask this question, I guess it'll be me. Who would you guys want to start for FS and SS?
Whoever goes out and earns it. It sounds like (if everything works out) Daniels could be a replacement for Mikell down the road, but that's obviously a long shot for a UDFA. From what I read, he's a little stiff and can get caught out of position, but he sells out and brings the wood. Maybe with some proper conditioning and coaching he could be the next starting safety. He certainly doesn't need heart or desire.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Mikell is getting a little long in the tooth. Give Daniels some reps and a season of limited playing time. Then we have Stewart AND Daniels - potentially two guys ready to lay down the wood and both with a chip on their shoulder being that neither was drafted.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Barrison6 said:

Mikell and Stewart are our starters. If Daniels impresses, he'll be in a supporting role, but he won't get the nod over Stewart.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Memento said:
Barrison6 said:

Mikell and Stewart are our starters. If Daniels impresses, he'll be in a supporting role, but he won't get the nod over Stewart.

If he does, then he earned it, and I'll be happy. Fisher has been here before, he'll put the best guys out there.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
bluecoconuts said:
Memento said:
Barrison6 said:

If he does, then he earned it, and I'll be happy. Fisher has been here before, he'll put the best guys out there.
That's what i'm saying, I feel that if he does have a good preseason and camp it is possible. I love me some Stewart, but how does the new coach feel about the last regimes starting player. Best player wins position.

Anonymous

Barrison6 said:
That's what i'm saying, I feel that if he does have a good preseason and camp it is possible. I love me some Stewart, but how does the new coach feel about the last regimes starting player. Best player wins position.

Blue v. red. If he honestly only cares about the best player then thoughts like "last regime's starter" will never cross his mind. Best player is best player. "Last regime" has nothing to do with it.

Besides, the few remarks he's made about the last regime have all been positive. He's a friend of Spags and he knows he inherited several good players.

For example, here's a rough paraphrase/quote from memory of something he said about Quinn: "I think he's going to be exactly what they thought he would be when they took him."

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
zn said:
Barrison6 said:

Blue v. red. If he honestly only cares about the best player then thoughts like "last regime's starter" will never cross his mind. Best player is best player. "Last regime" has nothing to do with it.

Besides, the few remarks he's made about the last regime have all been positive. He's a friend of Spags and he knows he inherited several good players.

For example, here's a rough paraphrase/quote from memory of something he said about Quinn: "I think he's going to be exactly what they thought he would be when they took him."
Thats what I was trying to get to is no one player will have an advantage over the other, best player gets the job period.

Man, I'm just so surprised Daniels went UN-drafted!
Seriously, the attitude is professional, his physical attributes are decent and his college output very good.
But it's Daniels INTENSITY that puts him over the top and will make him shine in the pros!!!

I like Stewart...a lot. But I'm thinking that Daniels is far MORE physical. imo
I think it might come down to injuries of either Mikell/Stewart...and Daniels gets some game reps and shines....
and may win the job for the 2nd half of the season.

I just think next year Mikell will be a cap casualty with Stewart/Daniels stepping up
and the Rams maybe drafting a stud FS(Reid, McDonald) with one of our TWO - 1st round picks!!!

Also, I like our other UDFA FS McCleod too.

Anonymous

SunTzu.v.Camus said:
Seriously, the attitude is professional, his physical attributes are decent and his college output very good.
But it's Daniels INTENSITY that puts him over the top and will make him shine in the pros!!!

I think it might come down to injuries of either Mikell/Stewart...and Daniels gets some game reps and shines....

I just think next year Mikell will be a cap casualty with Stewart/Daniels stepping up
and the Rams maybe drafting a stud FS(Reid, McDonald) with one of our TWO - 1st round picks!!!

Next year's first round, I would like to the Rams draft a safety, a linebacker, another DT, another OT, and another WR.

I don't know yet what I would like them to do with their other first round pick.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I really like this guy. He's good enough right now to play in the box. His upside will be determined by how fast a he can adapt to playing pass D. in the NFL. He's a better natural tackler and takes better angles than Stewart but he has to knock off the helmet to helmet hits.
Yes he should have been drafted but the knock on him was foot speed, change of direction, and pass D.
Rams got lucky getting him.

Speeps

Starter
I'm a big fan of Daniels. He defines everything Jeff Fisher wants to do defensively. He's going to come in and contribute on Special Teams, and hopefully play some minutes as he back up Mikell or Stewart.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
zn said:
SunTzu.v.Camus said:

Next year's first round, I would like to the Rams draft a safety, a linebacker, another DT, another OT, and another WR. I don't know yet what I would like them to do with their other first round pick.

Well in order for that to happen we'll have to be worse than we were this year and trade down to get those extra pick.
I suppose that's possible , but I think Fisher's prediction will hold true so you probably aught to count on just having two firsts next year and ONE of them being pretty low cuz we aren't gonna see 2-14 under this bunch.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You need 3 good safeties, we already have 2. Daniels will hopefully beat out Craig Dahl.

Anonymous

DR RAM said:
You need 3 good safeties, we already have 2. Daniels will hopefully beat out Craig Dahl.

Yeah why undersell Stewart. He had kind of a thankless task last year, since Spags had to use the safeties, in ways they weren't used to, to cover up the situation at corner. He's a 3rd year vet and he has all the talent Daniels has and quite possibly more. And that's not a knock on Daniels--I like Daniels too.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
SunTzu.v.Camus said:

Daniels delivers much bigger hits than Stewart, true, but I'd say that both players are equally physical. Stewart is much thicker-built than Daniels and, in my opinion, is a better overall tackler. I would also say that Stewart is better in coverage. Daniels is going to get reps, but unless Stewart goes down for the whole season, I don't think that he'll win the job. Let's not forget that Stewart had over ninety tackles for the season, which is pretty damn impressive for a safety. Don't get me wrong; I love Daniels' potential, but he's an undrafted rookie, and I'm not sold on him like I am with Stewart.

If Mikell's season is anything like the last one, I'd keep his salary, no matter how much it counts against the cap. He had an All-Pro caliber year. I'd rather use the pick on a dynamic talent like Jarvis Jones (game-changing pass-rusher who plays outside linebacker in a 4-3) or Marcus Lattimore (who has been compared to our very own Steven Jackson).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Memento said:
SunTzu.v.Camus said:

Daniels delivers much bigger hits than Stewart, true, but I'd say that both players are equally physical. Stewart is much thicker-built than Daniels and, in my opinion, is a better overall tackler. I would also say that Stewart is better in coverage. Daniels is going to get reps, but unless Stewart goes down for the whole season, I don't think that he'll win the job. Let's not forget that Stewart had over ninety tackles for the season, which is pretty damn impressive for a safety. Don't get me wrong; I love Daniels' potential, but he's an undrafted rookie, and I'm not sold on him like I am with Stewart.

If Mikell's season is anything like the last one, I'd keep his salary, no matter how much it counts against the cap. He had an All-Pro caliber year. I'd rather use the pick on a dynamic talent like Jarvis Jones (game-changing pass-rusher who plays outside linebacker in a 4-3) or Marcus Lattimore (who has been compared to our very own Steven Jackson).

Yeah - you think about it, next season is a long ways off. We may find that we have 4 pretty good safeties with 3 of them being UDFAs. I wouldn't be shoving Mikell out the door. You never know how a contract may be restructured - especially if a player sees a potential playoff run. If Mikell wants to finish with a team on the upswing and be a part of something special, he may be fairly affordable.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude, thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed it.

Anonymous

Memento said:
SunTzu.v.Camus said:

And why would they even want to restructure his contract? If they think he has value then they pay him. You don't go around subtracting money from players who play well. If they don't like his play then they replace him. Plus, they have plenty of cap space in 2013 so what's the issue.

There really isn't an issue here.