UDFA Aarion Penton suddenly has immediate impact potential with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...nly-has-immediate-impact-potential-with-rams/

UDFA Aarion Penton suddenly has immediate impact potential with Rams

Los Angeles Rams cornerback Troy Hill was suspended for the first two games of the 2017 season, which gives an opportunity Aarion Penton.

Hill, who was an undrafted free agent from the University of Oregon in 2016, will miss the first two games of the upcoming season due to substance-abuse suspension. The Rams did not draft a cornerback in the 2017 NFL Draft but did sign Penton as an undrafted free agent.

After the draft, this is what Rams head coach Sean McVay had to say about their defensive backs:

“I think when you look at just coming out of the minicamp, what we saw, I think there’s a handful of guys that showed they can play at the corner spot … You see guys like Troy Hill, Nickell Robey(-Coleman), they give us some depth. E.J. Gaines has played a lot of football.”

The Rams have Trumaine Johnson and Kayvon Webster as their two likely starting cornerbacks on the left and right side. Then, Robey-Coleman will presumably play the slot.

McVay mentioned that the defense will look different playing for their new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.

The Rams are speculated to move slot cornerback Lamarcus Joyner to safety, which means they do lack depth beyond Gaines.

Meanwhile, Hill played 100% of defensive snaps against the Giants, 95% against the Buccaneers and 65.7% against the Seahawks.

In their draft guide, Pro Football Focus ranked Penton ahead of UCLA’s Fabian Moreau, who was selected in the 3rd round.

Expect him to have a chance to fill many of the snaps that Hill won’t be able to during the first two weeks of the year if he makes the roster. And if he does make the roster and play well, Penton may have just suddenly stumbled into an opportunity for real NFL success next season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
OVERVIEW

Penton's had his issues off the field, reportedly cited twice for marijuana possession in 2014. On the field, though, he's been the Tigers' best cornerback since the departure of E.J. Gaines. Penton was a first-team All-SEC selection in 2016, which is quite an accomplishment given the level of defensive back talent in that conference; he made 43 tackles on the year and led the SEC with 17 passes defended (five interceptions, one for TD, and 12 pass breakups). Penton won Missouri's award for the team's top cornerback in 2015 by registering 59 stops, 4.5 for loss, an interception and eight pass breakups. He was a full-time starter as a sophomore (36 tackles, two TFL, three INT) after being an injury replacement for Gaines as a true freshman (two starts, 16 tackles, one INT, two PBU.) Penton was born with the last name Maxey, but had it changed to Maxey-Penton a few years ago to honor his stepfather and had just Penton on his jersey for most of his career.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Considers himself a receiver when the ball is in the air. Highly reactive once he reads the break point. Attacks passing lane rather than receivers when he's got a bead on the route. Has hands to flip the field with interceptions or rake aggressively through the catch point if he wants to disrupt. Displays excellent timing when challenging high point throws. Pesky in man coverage and does everything he can to stay under the wide receiver's pads.
WEAKNESSES
Short and thin. Can be big-boyed against press coverage and knocked completely off-balance by powerful challenges. Make-up speed is below average. Allowed 20 yards per catch this season. Lacks fluidity in his transitions. Gives up massive swaths of open ground to shifty route runners. Unable to handle take-on tackle duties on a consistent basis. Could be consistently targeted by offenses in run game.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 6-7
BOTTOM LINE
Undersized ball-hawk with great ball skills but an inability to carry speed or quickness around the field when matched against it in man. Penton is extremely competitive when the ball is in the air, but the Senior Bowl practices exposed coverage issues against slot quickness as well as long speed. He will have to fight for a back-end roster spot.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/aarion-penton?id=2558146

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, Penton has one of the best chances of making the squad based on his collegiate credentials, but I want to see Kevin Peterson as well. Penton had some off the field issues, so let's hope he does not hang around with Tony Hill.
usatsi_9714110.jpg

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I always worry about depth at CB. It is such an important position.

I do, however, like the competition we have for the CB spots. We have some interesting guys to watch beyond the planned starters.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can he boost his chances even more in the return game? I know little about the guy.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Can he boost his chances even more in the return game? I know little about the guy.

Has no record of returning Punts so that's a no, but great point I will be anxious to see if others can return punts or kickoffs because IMO, that is something Pharoh Cooper brings to the table and like Glenn Close, should not be ignored.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I always worry about depth at CB. It is such an important position.

I do, however, like the competition we have for the CB spots. We have some interesting guys to watch beyond the planned starters.

Yeah the position I am concerned with on the defensive side of the ball is CB. Wade's recent comments about how his CB position is better than people think is a great thing to hear, but lookin at that chart let's just say I can't wait to see it on the field. And if he's right, then this will probably be just another defense he turned around right quick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Now this would be some real good Ram luck if Aarion Penton was to rise up the line of Ram current corners. Outside Corner depth is this defense Achilles Heel. Penton 5-10 185 is a monster when compared to new UFA Nickell Robey-Coleman.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
We still have Michael Jordan back there for depth, if I'm not mistaken and he played a lot of snaps last year.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
With Hill suspended for 2 games, not sure he fits the We not ME culture. Dont think he spot is as secure as others see it to be.

Ram65

Legend
Aarion Penton doesn't seem to be a good fit in man to man coverage and lacks speed

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I seen where early this season EJ Gaines has been unhealthy again & gave reps to other CB's. Initially Trumaine Johnson decided to skip all of the voluntary OTA's giving other CB's more reps. EJ was mess as an starting outside corner last season. Most members here voiced the opinion that he was unhealthy but I was not in that cadre. By mid season EJ was handing over playing time to the likes of Mike Jordan,Troy Hill & others. Hill is no peach either. The rookie Jordan is smart & tough but lacks speed & quickness. I have no ideal what the 5-11 179 skinny Kevin Peterson the Oklahoma State lad can do. Maybe @den-the-coach can enlighten me. The others are the 5-10 161 Dominique Hatfield & Blake Countess.

I do know that Blake Countess should not be written off his play in place of Lamarcus Joyner in 3 games was outstanding!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with Wade and he obviously reads some pundits or has somebody do it for him. He said our secondary is more talented than a lot of people give them credit for. We may not have a Sherman, Peterson or a great shut down. But we have a lot of talent back there to develop.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have no ideal what the 5-11 179 skinny Kevin Peterson the Oklahoma State lad can do. Maybe @den-the -coach can enlighten me. The others are the 5-10 161 Dominique Hatfield & Blake Countess.

I do know that Blake Countess should not be written off his play in place of Lamarcus Joyner in 3 games was outstanding!

FWIW I don't like Blake Countess, when he was on the field he reminded me of Coty Sensabaugh, always right there to be beaten, no ball awareness and he went to Auburn. As to Kevin Peterson, this was his draft profile.

OVERVIEW

While not the tallest or thickest corner in the draft class, Peterson might be one of the toughest, coming back from preseason knee surgery and playing through an ankle injury during his senior year to be named first team All-Big 12. The three-year starter actually got his first opportunity with the first team in the Cowboys' final game of his freshman season (20 tackles, two pass breakups). The former state high school 100-meter and 200-meter champion has produced in coverage (two interceptions, 11 pass breakups in 2014; one INT, six PBU in 2015) and is willing to mix it up on the outside, totaling 101 stops the past two years.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.56 and 4.57 seconds
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Smart player. Plays with field awareness and a high IQ. Responds from quarters coverage when he sees a safety needs help. Can flip hips and hit his top speed fairly quickly. Reads cues from receiver's eyes when deep ball is approaching and times his breakup attempt. Confident demeanor on the field and in coverage. Peeks in on quarterback from zone and is quick to help attack a slot throw. More aware than instinctive. Patient feet from press coverage and has adequate directional change. Not a big guy, but will mix it up against the run. Held his own against Josh Doctson and Corey Coleman.
WEAKNESSES
His height is borderline but his frame is smaller than desired by NFL standards for outside corners. Allowed four broken tackles. Will sit down to challenge receivers underneath, but a step slow to recognize when to turn and chase. Recovery speed is average. Not a long corner and needs to crowd receivers to make plays on the ball. Physical receivers with size can put him on their hip. Gears get stuck in neutral when trying to burst forward from top of his backpedal.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Rounds 6 or 7
BOTTOM LINE
Peterson's confidence and football intelligence will grow on you after awhile. It's not always clean, but he finds ways to disrupt throws and man his position. Size limitations make a move inside as a nickel corner possible, but he has enough quickness and coverage savvy to stick on a roster.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/kevin-peterson?id=2555375

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree with Wade and he obviously reads some pundits or has somebody do it for him. He said our secondary is more talented than a lot of people give them credit for. We may not have a Sherman, Peterson or a great shut down. But we have a lot of talent back there to develop.
I would agree with this when we discussing our Ram Nickles, Strong Safeties & Deep/Free Safeties. I consider this overall group very talented & deep as well. Kudos for what Snead, McVay & Wade have signed in here, But would be in full disagreement on the talent of the overall cadre of outside corners.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But would be in full disagreement on the talent of the overall cadre of outside corners.

One year away from addressing that, hopefully, Johnson & Webster stay healthy and E.J. Gaines can actually get out of the tub.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One year away from addressing that, hopefully, Johnson & Webster stay healthy and E.J. Gaines can actually get out of the tub.
I would not bet on that happening.

On the positive side if Quinn & Barwin can return close to their 2013/2014 heydays along with this talented DL cadre the pass rush can be something special. With that special event taking place in 2017 then whomever is starting @ outside corners will benefit greatly!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would not bet on that happening.

I have a feeling Johnson will be okay this year and my hope is Webster really steps up because I don't see Trumaine coming back in 2018, Rams will either sign someone else or draft a CB in round one. As to Gaines, he certainly doing his best impression of you and me and Brandon McGee and that is why Troy Hill needs to stay clean although when Hill came back, he did not look as good prior to his release.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have a feeling Johnson will be okay this year and my hope is Webster really steps up because I don't see Trumaine coming back in 2018, Rams will either sign someone else or draft a CB in round one. As to Gaines, he certainly doing his best impression of you and me and Brandon McGee and that is why Troy Hill needs to stay clean although when Hill came back, he did not look as good prior to his release.

I will agree with you fully on Trumaine Johnson den. Its my belief that Trumaine knows this Rams defense stands to be something very special this season & the great pass rush will assist him in having some excellent accumulative stats when this season is over. Trumaine who will be 28 yrs old will grasp his flashy INT stats & the moment as he enters the UFA drama early next season. A great ME move for Tru, in order to add to his large bank account.SMART:heh:

EJ is at near 2 mil cap hit in 2017 season that's a good bargain if he earns the starting post. EJ would not be that once he falls back to a mediocre reserve role. IMO our new UFA signed CB NRC will earn the top reserve position @ corner NRC's cap hit is only 695K NRC has never had the injury history like that of EJ.Gaines.

NRC has been active & ready to play in 64 straight NFL games in 4 seasons. EJ is not a trending ascending corner but the opposite. EJ will be a UFA when this season ends. EJ has only one good season as a rookie starter but was injured & in street clothes when his rookie season ended too.If a few of these UDFA corners rise to the moment as it was pointed out in the original thread post here ....EJ Gaines could very easily be a late pre season release as the Rams look into the future.