UCLA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Mac always makin crap hard....OK...not Bama-like...not USC-ish....but powerful team...in short spans...

1997-1998....under Bob "big offense" Toledo

1982-1988 (when I wanted to go help) Terry "gutty lil Bruin" Donahue.....
Powerhouse.....

Protho, Vermiel, and Rodgers had some nice runs/teams too.....
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/ucla/
I don't see Nebraska or Oklahoma on your list....some of the strongest teams I've ever witnessed... Or Miami.

Miami and Oklahoma should have been there.

But that was sorta the point. Plenty of big schools have had their dominant runs.

Nothing like Notre Dame, Alabama or USC, but... yeah, that was the point.

I remember the Donahue and Toledo reigns... good, but not great. And we always seemed to find a way to lose on the biggest stages.

/shrug.

I'd root for them if they had a losing streak greater than the South Central Louisianna Mud dogs...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Miami and Oklahoma should have been there.

But that was sorta the point. Plenty of big schools have had their dominant runs.

Nothing like Notre Dame, Alabama or USC, but... yeah, that was the point.

I remember the Donahue and Toledo reigns... good, but not great. And we always seemed to find a way to lose on the biggest stages.

/shrug.

I'd root for them if they had a losing streak greater than the South Central Louisianna Mud dogs...

I'm a little hurt that Florida didn't make your list either. ;)

No.

Alabama is a powerhouse.

Clemson is a powerhouse.

LSU was a powerhouse.

Ohio State was a powerhouse.

Michigan was a powerhouse.

Penn State was a powerhouse.

Notre Dame was a powerhouse.

USC was a powerhouse.

Oregon was a powerhouse.

UCLA has had some good years and some really good players. But UCLA has never been a powerhouse. Not in the same vein as the teams I've mentioned.

I'd love it if UCLA could become a powerhouse where for a 3-4 year period, it's only a question of where in the top 10 they end up and at least 1 or 2 years they win the National Championship. All of the above have or are doing that.

Here's hoping Chip Kelly takes UCLA to that level.

I agree. UCLA has never been a powerhouse. They're like Texas A&M. They've had some nice short runs but never enough sustained success to earn that status.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cade McNown.....greatest no name QB ever.....Deshawn Foster greatest no name RB ever.....naw...but he's on the list....

Cade is the guy that made me re-evaluate what goes on with college QB's that go on....and fail...in the pros.....Todd Marinavich.....and that recent lefty....guy that went to Az....pretty boy.....dude had them girls in the hot tub....Bush push fame....what's his name??? Oh yeah, Leinhert....Matt....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Regardless, I'm happy with the guy we got. He knows UF, he knows the SEC, and his teams tend to overachieve. Plus, he can actually develop QBs (been awhile since UF did that).
You mean the asshat that said he was going to sign his extension to leverage UF for his best deal and then bolted? That guy?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Cade McNown.....greatest no name QB ever.....Deshawn Foster greatest no name RB ever.....naw...but he's on the list....

Cade is the guy that made me re-evaluate what goes on with college QB's that go on....and fail...in the pros.....Todd Marinavich.....and that recent lefty....guy that went to Az....pretty boy.....dude had them girls in the hot tub....Bush push fame....what's his name??? Oh yeah, Leinhert....Matt....
Marinavich was known as marijuanavich for a reason. The guy was stoned 24/7 according to my cousins that went to school with him at SC. McNown was just one of those great HS and College QBs much like Harrington from UofO. I watched McNown play at West Linn HS a few times and of course in college on TV. Unbelievable talent and I'm not really sure why he sucked in the Pros.

Regardless, a few years tucked in among mediocrity does not make a powerhouse. IMO - UCLA would never qualify as a powerhouse at any time in their history. You have to maintain some sort of domination in at least a top league. Your best case is the period in the 80s but even in that period, they were never dominant.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You mean the asshat that said he was going to sign his extension to leverage UF for his best deal and then bolted? That guy?

I have no idea. I'm assuming you're referring to Mullen, but I haven't heard this story.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Regardless, a few years tucked in among mediocrity does not make a powerhouse. IMO - UCLA would never qualify as a powerhouse at any time in their history. You have to maintain some sort of domination in at least a top league. Your best case is the period in the 80s but even in that period, they were never dominant.

And IMO, that is why it changed with the Chip Kelly hire. UCLA swooped in to steal Kelly from a major SEC team and although many wrote that Kelly preferred the PAC 12 for obvious reasons, that's still quite a coup for a team like you posted has been mediocre at best.

Adding Kelly and committing to upgrading the football facilities showcases to me that UCLA is tired of 8-4 being the best they can hope for and I believe they will be like Oregon was under Kelly. Moving forward IMO, Oregon will be stuck in mediocrity although Phil Knight will do all he can to fight it, but if Oregon did not have players from California, they would be Colorado and that's where I see the Duck program going with Kelly at UCLA and now under the guidance of Mario Manuel Cristobal although I do like Cristobal, but he's lost Telly Lockette and if he looses Jim Leavitt too, that might be too much to overcome in his first year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And IMO, that is why it changed with the Chip Kelly hire. UCLA swooped in to steal Kelly from a major SEC team and although many wrote that Kelly preferred the PAC 12 for obvious reasons, that's still quite a coup for a team like you posted has been mediocre at best.

Adding Kelly and committing to upgrading the football facilities showcases to me that UCLA is tired of 8-4 being the best they can hope for and I believe they will be like Oregon was under Kelly. Moving forward IMO, Oregon will be stuck in mediocrity although Phil Knight will do all he can to fight it, but if Oregon did not have players from California, they would be Colorado and that's where I see the Duck program going with Kelly at UCLA and now under the guidance of Mario Manuel Cristobal although I do like Cristobal, but he's lost Telly Lockette and if he looses Jim Leavitt too, that might be too much to overcome in his first year.

Telly Lockette was at Oregon State. He lost Donte Pimpleton, and he will almost definitely lose Leavitt. I'm not high on Cristobal. I think that's a bad hire.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Telly Lockette was at Oregon State. He lost Donte Pimpleton, and he will almost definitely lose Leavitt. I'm not high on Cristobal. I think that's a bad hire.

My bad good catch counselor and the bowl game might just prove you right because I thought the Ducks who wanted Cristobal so bad would play hard for him, but they didn't. Well, they will give him two years, if he can't win, they will show him the door quickly in Eugene.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Coaching...gotta be.

Couple breaks here and there....That team with Foster and McNown was truly great...Miami game exposed them...

That was the best UCLA team ive seen in my lifetime. That offense was fun to watch! Too bad the Miami game got delayed because of a hurricane I believe? I think we played Miami at the wrong time with a red hot Edgerrin James at the end of the year who ran over our D. The offense was legit but the D was our weakness for sure. UCLA was winning the game 45-35 with like 6 minutes left in the 4th. Toughest loss ive ever felt as a Bruin fan. Lost our undefeated season in that game.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQHIPVIN5OI

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My bad good catch counselor and the bowl game might just prove you right because I thought the Ducks who wanted Cristobal so bad would play hard for him, but they didn't. Well, they will give him two years, if he can't win, they will show him the door quickly in Eugene.

Leavitt is sticking. All of Taggart's top assistants chose not to go. I'm glad FSU hired him (Taggart). And it looks like Mullen might be about to flip Urban Meyer's QB from this class, Emory Jones. *knock on wood*

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Leavitt is sticking. All of Taggart's top assistants chose not to go. I'm glad FSU hired him (Taggart).

WOW, really thought Leavitt would leave Eugene for Tallahassee, I'm shocked. Seems like such a better job and more talent to work with, but at 1.7 million per year through 2021 not bad at all for Leavitt, who IMO, would be a great hire as Head Coach for a team like Kansas.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WOW, really thought Leavitt would leave Eugene for Tallahassee, I'm shocked. Seems like such a better job and more talent to work with, but at 1.7 million per year through 2021 not bad at all for Leavitt, who IMO, would be a great hire as Head Coach for a team like Kansas.

Leavitt's past is why he's not a HC. Back when he was at USF, even Alabama offered him their HC job. He was incredibly highly regarded . . . until he hit one of his players.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Leavitt's past is why he's not a HC. Back when he was at USF, even Alabama offered him their HC job. He was incredibly highly regarded . . . until he hit one of his players.

Yes I recall that and was the reason why he went to the NFL for a while, much has passed and I know Kansas State was interested in him before Bill Snyder put up a blockade wanting his son to take over the program.

Kansas football on the other hand is under the guidance of Dave Beatty who IMO, has no business being at HC at that level, but the program was really bad and the AD wanted a young coach, who had a history of being a good recruiter. Well, Beatty is 3-33 going into is 4th year and if Kansas does not win 5 games next year, IMO, Beatty will be gone and the Jayhawks should look towards a Leavitt or Troy's Neal Brown if he's interested. I wonder how AD's keep their jobs with hires like Beatty?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes I recall that and was the reason why he went to the NFL for a while, much has passed and I know Kansas State was interested in him before Bill Snyder put up a blockade wanting his son to take over the program.

Kansas football on the other hand is under the guidance of Dave Beatty who IMO, has no business being at HC at that level, but the program was really bad and the AD wanted a young coach, who had a history of being a good recruiter. Well, Beatty is 3-33 going into is 4th year and if Kansas does not win 5 games next year, IMO, Beatty will be gone and the Jayhawks should look towards a Leavitt or Troy's Neal Brown if he's interested. I wonder how AD's keep their jobs with hires like Beatty?

To be fair, Kansas can't exactly attract good coaches. They have to take shots in the dark and hope for the best. Leavitt would be great there. He's an expert at building programs. The problem is that you still have to convince your university to hire a guy who hit a kid and then tried to obstruct the investigation the last time he was the HC.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The problem is that you still have to convince your university to hire a guy who hit a kid and then tried to obstruct the investigation the last time he was the HC.

Good point forgot about him obstructing justice, however, Kansas State would have named him Head Coach, but Snyder wanted his son to have the gig. It might be a tough sell at Kansas, but they have not had a winning season since 2008 so like us maybe they can wait a few more years, however, that might be the direction they need to go in.