UCLA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Mullen is a good coach. Can he recruit?

Been recruiting in Starkville, MS for a long time, IMO, not that tough to recruit to Florida....Great High School Football, great weather and if you like the ladies, they have that and if you prefer gentlemen, they have that too!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Been recruiting in Starkville, MS for a long time, IMO, not that tough to recruit to Florida....Great High School Football, great weather and if you like the ladies, they have that and if you prefer gentlemen, they have that too!
Right but can he recruit Florida? Whoever owns Florida owns football

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right but can he recruit Florida? Whoever owns Florida owns football

He should be able to put together a staff that can. He's familiar with Florida from his time as our OC.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Scott Frost is one heck of a football coach, but getting Kelly over a renown program like Florida is a huge win for UCLA and IMO, will propel that program to a different level moving forward.

Bout freakin' time.

Would love for UCLA to be a powerhouse...for ONCE.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He came to us with purported interest in being our HC (we were originally pursuing and vetting Frost), he agreed to a contract in principle, and then he used it to leverage UCLA to get what he wanted and backed out on us. He's backed out on two or three NFL teams before, so I shouldn't be surprised. But it was a weasel move imo. It was totally unnecessary. He already had all the leverage with UCLA.
Sour grapes much?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Makes sense and would be a solid hire plus I would love to see how Oregon spins this. Phil Knight be damned.
After a 7&5 season, I'm not so sure Phil is going to have to spin anything. The Ducks have offered an extension to 5 years which Taggart says he plans to sign but if the Ducks go 7&5 and lose in embarrassing fashion to UW again next season, it will be Taggart having to spin why he is no longer employed.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yep. But I'm also right. He was an asshat, but that's his reputation, so I shouldn't be surprised.
Yeah - I probably wouldn't like Kelly personally, but then again, I probably wouldn't like most top level coaches either. They are not necessarily in the want to be liked business.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah - I probably wouldn't like Kelly personally, but then again, I probably wouldn't like most top level coaches either. They are not necessarily in the want to be liked business.

Regardless, I'm happy with the guy we got. He knows UF, he knows the SEC, and his teams tend to overachieve. Plus, he can actually develop QBs (been awhile since UF did that).

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
After a 7&5 season, I'm not so sure Phil is going to have to spin anything. The Ducks have offered an extension to 5 years which Taggart says he plans to sign but if the Ducks go 7&5 and lose in embarrassing fashion to UW again next season, it will be Taggart having to spin why he is no longer employed.

Oh, IDK, in my world 7-5 beats 4-8 every single time.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It beats it this year but next year is whole nuther story

Have a feeling Willie Taggart is on his way to Florida State anyway and then Oregon will be looking for the second coming of Richie Brooks.
0538f464ec8bde7aa5ada028902526b0.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have a feeling Willie Taggart is on his way to Florida State anyway and then Oregon will be looking for the second coming of Richie Brooks.
0538f464ec8bde7aa5ada028902526b0.jpg
What a crazy time right now. Can you remember a time that so many prominent coaching jobs were available?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What a crazy time right now. Can you remember a time that so many prominent coaching jobs were available?

I know, not at all...I actually thought of sending Rice University my resume, you win five or six games at Rice and you would be considered Lombardi.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
We were...with Troy A....Gaston Green....Ken Norton....Cade McNown....and Flipper....we were.

No.

Alabama is a powerhouse.

Clemson is a powerhouse.

LSU was a powerhouse.

Ohio State was a powerhouse.

Michigan was a powerhouse.

Penn State was a powerhouse.

Notre Dame was a powerhouse.

USC was a powerhouse.

Oregon was a powerhouse.

UCLA has had some good years and some really good players. But UCLA has never been a powerhouse. Not in the same vein as the teams I've mentioned.

I'd love it if UCLA could become a powerhouse where for a 3-4 year period, it's only a question of where in the top 10 they end up and at least 1 or 2 years they win the National Championship. All of the above have or are doing that.

Here's hoping Chip Kelly takes UCLA to that level.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
UCLA has had some good years and some really good players. But UCLA has never been a powerhouse. Not in the same vein as the teams I've mentioned.
Mac always makin shit hard....OK...not Bama-like...not USC-ish....but powerful team...in short spans...

1997-1998....under Bob "big offense" Toledo

1982-1988 (when I wanted to go help) Terry "gutty lil Bruin" Donahue.....
Powerhouse.....

Protho, Vermiel, and Rodgers had some nice runs/teams too.....
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/ucla/
I don't see Nebraska or Oklahoma on your list....some of the strongest teams I've ever witnessed... Or Miami.