Tyreek Hill

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The major problem I have with Austin is you have to be creative to get him the ball. He hasn't produced in normal ways in a normal offense. I don't blame his lack of production on the coordinators, I blame him. It's year 4 for him, why does his route running still leave a lot to be desired. The guy not only is fast, but he is as quick if not quicker than he is fast. There is no reason that he can't be an outstanding route runner. He should be able to easily beat man coverage in today's game creating tons of separation. He should be instinctive enough by now to know where the holes of the zone are and sit in them. Having to run end arounds and bubble screens to the guy just to get him the ball holds the offense back. Britt has been able to succeed. It's not all on the scheme. It's on Austin too. I was a huge proponent of getting him. He hasn't come close to meeting expectations.

I think this is a fair critique.

I'm not as disappointed in Austin as some. And... I'm not suggesting you are, FRO. But... I wish he would spend the A GOOD CHUNK of the offseason with Isaac Bruce, one of the best WR ever at creating separation by route skills.

Austin is a piece of the solution, IMO, but this offense needs some major rethinking. Is the playbook good enough? Is the play calling the issue? Whatever it is... it's disjointed, lacks rhythm, and fails to dictate the tone. We all see it and I know the Rams do too.

We need to fix this before assuming every player on offense is crap.

I think Boras is a good guy, so I hope there is a way to help him have a long NFL career. I just can't see a scenario where he's back as OC.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
How much damage can a dude do when 90% of his catches are within five yards of the LoS?

Cig used Austin 1000x better than Boras has at this point. The kid has shown to be a playmaker.

FRO

Legend
I think this is a fair critique.

I'm not as disappointed in Austin as some. And... I'm not suggesting you are, FRO. But... I wish he would spend the A GOOD CHUNK of the offseason with Isaac Bruce, one of the best WR ever at creating separation by route skills.

Austin is a piece of the solution, IMO, but this offense needs some major rethinking. Is the playbook good enough? Is the play calling the issue? Whatever it is... it's disjointed, lacks rhythm, and fails to dictate the tone. We all see it and I know the Rams do too.

We need to fix this before assuming every player on offense is crap.

I think Boras is a good guy, so I hope there is a way to help him have a long NFL career. I just can't see a scenario where he's back as OC.
Austin has all the ingredients to be an outstanding player without needing trickery or gimmicks to make him produce. It's on him to get better at the things in which he can control. Yes the coaching schemes aren't great, but if his routes were crisper he would shine through a bit more like Britt has. Yes better coaching and QB play will definitely help a ton, but Tavon bears as much responsibility as anybody for his lack of production.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Austin has all the ingredients to be an outstanding player without needing trickery or gimmicks to make him produce. It's on him to get better at the things in which he can control. Yes the coaching schemes aren't great, but if his routes were crisper he would shine through a bit more like Britt has. Yes better coaching and QB play will definitely help a ton, but Tavon bears as much responsibility as anybody for his lack of production.

And... if I were his coach that's EXACTLY who I'd put the ownership on.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Man he was killer in the run game last year though. Maybe the kid needs to stay at running back. I bet he'd do well catching passes from back there.
This is what I don't get. Where is the combined threat that we saw last season? I mean if Fisher is holding the offensive keys, why would they get away from that? I don't know what is going on besides that we have seen the running game implode this season but I have to wonder. This just hasn't made sense to me all year. And it also - in my mind - doesn't mesh with the idea that it is all Fisher holding them back or making bad decisions.

Now granted - the record falls on Fisher - PERIOD. But many fans have this idea that he doesn't want a high octane offense. Now position that against the well accepted idea that he wanted a more spread type offense with Schotty even though Schotty was bandied by the fans as a more of a run oriented kind of coach (BTW - as an aside - Oregon's vaunted spread offense run by Kelly was far more run than pass). Also position that against the fact that Fisher is a gambler in many aspects of the game. To me that just doesn't add up to him being a guy that wants to throttle back his offense so much as is being thrown out there.

Is this offense boring? Abso-fucking-lutely. Is it inept in its production? We all know it is. Does it matter who is to blame? Probably not as the bottom line HAS to rest with the coach. Does it mean Fisher is holding the OC back or would do so with a OC that is suddenly making this offense tick? To me - his history and personality says otherwise.

Bad decisions are his. His OCs were his decisions. I'd be shocked to find out anything different. Can we have an OC come in and put in a high octane offense with Fisher here? I think it's possible if it is the right person. And frankly - Fisher HAS to recognize that it is now or never.

So let's hope my Rams brothers. It's kinda all we have.

Cheers - and Horns for EVER!!!

WvuIN02

Starter
I am tired of this excuse. The guy was an 8th overall selection. He was highly regarded coming out of college. If he is really has as much talent as some think he does then it should shine through regardless of the system. He may not have great numbers but we would be able to see it on certain plays. I don't see enough of it, especially on punt returns to think that the Rams are missing out on some untapped weapon. I would have preferred a guy who can run good routes and has great hands with that high of a pick.
Yea, just like Gurley has recently too.....................................

*crickets*

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yea, just like Gurley has recently too.....................................

*crickets*

No crickets here. Gurley is only on season two and some here are suggesting to trade him. Tavon is on season four and is still out produced by many number two receivers on most other teams. I would expect more production from the eighth overall pick.

WvuIN02

Starter
No crickets here. Gurley is only on season two and some here are suggesting to trade him. Tavon is on season four and is still out produced by many number two receivers on most other teams. I would expect more production from the eighth overall pick.
Cant roll my eyes hard enough at this.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Cant roll my eyes hard enough at this.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

keep rolling em. It won't change my opinion. The only thing that can do that is for Tavon to produce like a top ten pick is expected to, instead of playing like a fourth round sub.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He looked a lot better today. He hasn't had a coach that knows how to utilize him or a QB that could throw deep. Every time he gets a big play you could bet your left nut it was coming back. He would be a star if he was in places like NE or GB.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
He beat his man and would have had a TD today if Goff didn't miss him. You could see the frustration on Tavon's face when the camera zoomed in on him after being over thrown.

However, Goff did hit him for a very nice TD against New Orleans.

If this offense ever becomes half way decent, I think Austin explodes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He beat his man and would have had a TD today if Goff didn't miss him. You could see the frustration on Tavon's face when the camera zoomed in on him after being over thrown.

However, Goff did hit him for a very nice TD against New Orleans.

If this offense ever becomes half way decent, I think Austin explodes.

He has some games where he looks great running intermediate and deep routes outside the hashes. He has other games where he doesn't look so good. He needs to work his ass off this off-season with some great WRs to get better at running routes and identifying CB weaknesses.

I still don't think he's a slot guy. He needs to play outside. Cooper should be the slot guy.