Tyrann Mathieu

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
Rams need another corner. Why not look at Mathieu? Could be a steal.

He can play outside, in the slot, and safety. Very good instincts and ball skills. If the kid can stop doing drugs, and soak in what Fisher and our staff teach him... I feel like he could be the next Cortland Finnegan. I really do.

What are your thoughts?

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I would not hesitate. Watching the combine he seemed to be the best athlete out there. Great ball skills. Very fluid. I wouldn't invest anything higher than a 4th. But i think it would be worth the risk to have him, i also feel he could be a great ball hawking coverage Safety. A liability in the run game, but his coverage skills and return skill make him worth a low end gamble. IMO

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He's a gifted athlete.
He can make plays.
All he needs is to be coached to play fundamental football.

= Snead/Fisher type player.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Definitely would be worth a fifth round pick. I can see him falling that far, like Burflict did.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Dude said:
He's a gifted athlete.
He can make plays.

Exactly. I think Tyrann would be in a great place here.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mathieu can't recall failed drug tests

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9163715/tyrann-mathieu-tells-nfl-team-failed-more-drug-tests-remember-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/ ... ber-report</a>

[espn]9048282[/espn]

Former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu told at least one NFL team he failed so many drug tests in college that he couldn't even remember them all, according to a report by USA Today Sports.

An assistant coach for one team told the newspaper that when that team interviewed Mathieu, he was asked how many drug tests he failed in college.

"I quit counting at 10," Mathieu answered. "I really don't know."

The assistant told the newspaper that Mathieu's statement had him pointing his finger at LSU as much as the player.

"If he flunked 10 tests before they suspended him, it shows that he got no kind of help," the coach said.

Known as the "Honey Badger," Mathieu's off-the-field problems have been well-documented. The former Heisman Trophy finalist was kicked off LSU's team in August, previously acknowledged that he put his love of marijuana ahead of his love for football, and also spent time in jail in October on a drug-related charge.

Mathieu, who has declared he's been clean since October, enjoyed a strong performance at the NFL scouting combine in February and remains an intriguing draft prospect.

At LSU's pro day in March, Mathieu also carried himself in a professional manner, mindful that NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel in attendance are all well-versed in his history and are particularly mindful of how he presents himself.

"I think they know everything already [about my background]," Mathieu said at pro day. "I think they just want you to be honest with them. That was my best friend, coming into this offseason and going into this draft was, just be honest, and open."

Mathieu has been projected as a second or third-round draft pick by many draft experts. ESPN's Mel Kiper has Mathieu being picked by the New England Patriots in the second round.

Information from Gary Laney of GeauxTigerNation w

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A55VA6 said:
Rams need another corner. Why not look at Mathieu? Could be a steal.

He can play outside, in the slot, and safety. Very good instincts and ball skills. If the kid can stop doing drugs, and soak in what Fisher and our staff teach him... I feel like he could be the next Cortland Finnegan. I really do.

What are your thoughts?

He's not a guy who should be out there every play because of his size. However he could be useful in the secondary. For sure he could be an excellent return guy and maybe he could end up getting some plays designed for him on O or at least be a decoy.

I don't think I would draft him though, unless I could get him in the 6 or 7 round and the HC, DC and position coach were ALL on board with the pick.

I do think he has learned his lesson.....there is a good interview out there that he did a little while ago and you could tell he had hit bottom and was bouncing back up. His own opinion of his nickname was interesting and if you can find the interview it's worth watching. And trust me I don't hand out second chances easily.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd take him in the 3rd or 4th.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Mid 4th is perfect for him.

Oh yeah, the Rams pick there!

Also a good return man!

Playmaker

10 Failed Drug Tests says the guy doesn't have a lick of respect for his team or teammates. You try going to work and failing one drug test and keeping your job let alone 10. This guy is a moron that will end up in prison before he is 30

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Playmaker said:
10 Failed Drug Tests says the guy doesn't have a lick of respect for his team or teammates. You try going to work and failing one drug test and keeping your job let alone 10. This guy is a moron that will end up in prison before he is 30
Or a millionaire before he's 25. Depends on which path he takes I guess.
Both are right there waiting for him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Playmaker said:

Actually he said he lost count at 10 so it's probably more. Assuming that he is telling the truth, and he probably is since teams can check and find out he bears part, but not all, of the blame.

Imagine of you got tested.....and it went like this because it probably did. Keep in mind I don't condone his behavior and I think he was an idiot.....but I think he learned.....so imagine this

Hey playmaker it's time for your test so pee in the cup

OK

Hey playmaker you failed the test

Oh.....what now?

We will test you again in two months

OK

Hey playmaker time for your test so pee in the cup

OK

Oh.....what now?

OK

Hey playmaker time for your test so pee in the cup

Ok

Oh.....what now?

So the coaches kinda effed up here too.....this is the classic ow/quit it game. Bad parents do this to their kids ALL the time. If there are no consequences to their actions then it gets worse. Look at the OSU tat parlor scandal.

I don't absolve him but seriously after 3 failed tests you should be off the team and stripped of your scholarship. They didn't even bench him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He did enter a drug rehab program last year, but .....

Who goes into rehab for weed?

[warning]WARNING

If you know the movie...
you know this is not safe for work.[/warning]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCId7qfRQNs[/youtube]

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think the Rams will be seeing a bunch of Tyrann but he will be wearing a Cards uni with Peterson in the secondary.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This guy is a risk reward guy.

Unfortunately, he's a douche and way more risk than reward.

Pass.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I got to say if he's there in the 4th round at our pick I would not be surprised and my thinking is it may be Fish and Sneads way of replacing Fletcher's roster spot.

The Xavier Rhodes topic I threw go for just simply to thow it out there..I'm sorta nauseated w/ mock drafts now. Time to be patient for The Real Thing.. epic album by the way from Faith No More.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I don't see how the majority of you guys can put a first round grade on Tavon Austin, but a late mid round grade on Tyrann Mathieu???

The Dude said:
He's a gifted athlete.
He can make plays.

Yep, TM is just like a younger Finnegan and plays a lot like Finnegan....a "Mini-Finni"!! ;)
Sorry.
TM is fearless and aggressive, he'd be a great replacement when we cut Finnegan's 15mil salary in a year or two.
Personally, I love the kid for our 4th CB/S...he's played both positions very well.

I think TM loves pot...
but might love football more.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OnceARam said:
I don't see how the majority of you guys can put a first round grade on Tavon Austin, but a late mid round grade on Tyrann Mathieu???

Because one is a clean skin and one is a pothead.