Tyoka Jackson on the game (w/Cusumano)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Tyoka talking so much sense it blows my mind. One highlight from his interview was his recommendation to go get a big time WR in the offseason, someone like Marqise Lee

jap

Legend
Yep, I would love for them to take Marqise if he is available too. One true #1 WR solves a lot of ills.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
While Lee is obviously a good receiver at SC he is not a proven "big time" NFL WR. He will still take time to develop.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
They don't need another rookie WR. They need a vet who knows how to play the damn position.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
While Lee is obviously a good receiver at SC he is not a proven "big time" NFL WR. He will still take time to develop.
So, what do we do? What are our options? Do we continue to develop what we have and hope that they'll finally emerge?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So, what do we do? What are our options? Do we continue to develop what we have and hope that they'll finally emerge?
Last week I saw post saying Quick had arrived (maybe with Sam). Givens is still just in his second year, Austin still figuring it out, Bailey has not seen the field. I think you have to let these guys develop and have an eye to the future. If your board works out so that a WR you want is there and there isn't anyone ranked higher you go for it. However there are still positions of need on this team and the"true #1WR" is not one of them in my opinion.

The other position that we aren't able to use yet is Cook. His production has been terrible since they were forced back to a 2 and 3 TE set. I'd love to see him working up the seem more but they "just could not handle" that style of play. Even if the numbers showed they did just fine in a spread hurry up offense.

More time and health is more important than THE GUY at "true #1WR".

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't see a ton of free agent wide receivers coming available next year that are all that exciting either. Maybe Hakeem Nicks, but who knows what the Giants are gonna do with him.

jap

Legend
Was there really a need for this type of post?

With all due respect, I could easily say the same about the poster I responded to. It's not like I am some newcomer fan who has no idea that a college receiver is not a "proven 'bigtime' NFL WR". However, there is a reason why some players are selected to be #1 WR's why others usually take longer to get settled in as pros.

WvuIN02

Starter
Lee is a barely bigger version of Austin. What the Rams need is a true #1 on the outside who can challenge defenses ala Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson etc down the field and to give Bradford a bigtime target in the redzone.

More like this guy right here, who is a clone of V.Jax. All you need to look at is the Alabama and Auburn statlines. Guy is unstoppable vs the best defense in cfb and made them look bad.

espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/517502/

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Lee is a barely bigger version of Austin. What the Rams need is a true #1 on the outside who can challenge defenses ala Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson etc down the field and to give Bradford a bigtime target in the redzone.

More like this guy right here, who is a clone of V.Jax. All you need to look at is the Alabama and Auburn statlines. Guy is unstoppable vs the best defense in cfb and made them look bad.

espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/517502/
Actually, Tyoka did also refer to the following college WR's, saying: "go get the kid from Texas A&M, or the kid from Clemson, or the kid from Penn State" (listen around 15:30). So, I presume he was referring to Mike Evans when he spoke of Texas A&M. It was just in my post that I only referred to Marquis Lee of USC, that was my bad.

WvuIN02

Starter
Ah okay, it definitely makes more sense. Jake Matthews and Mike Evans would be a coup in rd 1 :)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm on the fence on what this team needs. If we're gonna stick with the "Power O," don't we need a big, all purpose, TE? Guard position has been suspect this year, too. We need another RB like Stacy, too. Richardson should be our third string RB. On top of that, I'd take Clowney all day. Third down and long with C. Long, Clowney, Brockers, and Quinn would be incredible. Then u gotta worry about Finnegan coming back strong. There are more needs then I coulda ever imagined. It'll be very telling what direction Snisher decides to go.

jjab360

Legend
I'm on the fence on what this team needs. If we're gonna stick with the "Power O," don't we need a big, all purpose, TE? Guard position has been suspect this year, too. We need another RB like Stacy, too. Richardson should be our third string RB. On top of that, I'd take Clowney all day. Third down and long with C. Long, Clowney, Brockers, and Quinn would be incredible. Then u gotta worry about Finnegan coming back strong. There are more needs then I coulda ever imagined. It'll be very telling what direction Snisher decides to go.
I really don't see a ton of needs, tbh, at least not in comparison to recent years. Safety is the glaring hole, an offensive guard definitely, and maybe cornerback is a problem if Finnegan doesn't have a big turnaround in the second half of the season.

Such a huge part of our personnel development at this point is just letting these young players get some experience. I don't see why so many people think OT is a problem, Long has been a borderline stud, Barksdale has performed at an above average level for starting RTs, and we can always resign Saffold if nobody pays big because of the injuries. We have a ton of talent at WR and TE, neither of those are early round needs, though you're certainly tempted by special talent like Evans and Watkins at the top of the draft. Like you said, you've got to take Clowney if he's there, but other than that maybe a second day DT if Langford doesn't step up.

We're no longer at the "We don't have enough draft picks to fill all these holes" standing, imo, even if our record doesn't show it right now.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
People keep saying OT because we're creatures of habit. It just rolls off the tongue so easily.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Safety may not be such a big hole once McDonald gets back...free agent Safety is an easier thing to get than a true number one WR

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

Enter this guy.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/516329/

He's like J. Cook except he is a willing blocker and does not shy away from contact.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjab360

Legend
Pass on a high round TE. Despite the recent criticisms, Cook has been a good receiver with the limited looks he's been given, Kendricks has done everything you look for out of a no.2 TE as a blocker and receiver, and Harkey has performed surprisingly well as a FB/no.3 TE.