Two Underdogs that Staked their Claim

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Just my opinion, of course, but Watts and Westbrook have made this team. Westbrook played great and Watts displayed extroadinary vision and patience for UDRFA. I'll get a sick feeling if either are cut. You don't cut guys who played this well.

RAMdom Comments

Sam may be cut but I hate it for him. He truly is a one trick pony but it's a good trick, not great. He just came to the team that has the best DL rotation in the league. Nobody saw Westbrook coming, either. I don't think there's a spot for him, but I'm very happy if he makes the team. He's a passionate play and I like his QB takedown celebration, it's awesome.

Besides Bradford going down, I loved our preseason. I feel we got a lot better. NO and GB exposed our weakness with the quick outs and now we can plan for it. Love it, Go Rams!

Here's to a great season...

Slappy967

Starter
I thought Sam proved his versatility tonight in stopping the run which had been a knock on him. I still think we keep Sam and Westbrooks. Both guys will be quality depth at a reasonable price tag. As for Watts if I am Tre Mason I am looking over my shoulder constantly. Great instinctual football player!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought Sam proved his versatility tonight in stopping the run which had been a knock on him. I still think we keep Sam and Westbrooks. Both guys will be quality depth at a reasonable price tag. As for Watts if I am Tre Mason I am looking over my shoulder constantly. Great instinctual football player!

Good stuff, hope we can keep them both.

Watts has looked better than Mason. His vision is two steps ahead and he's faster, anyhow.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I really think Mason was a wasted pick, we didn't need a RB by any means. And now he's getting out performed by an undrafted guy.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really think Mason was a wasted pick, we didn't need a RB by any means. And now he's getting out performed by an undrafted guy.

Mason hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game, yet. He's a bit hesitant in reading the field and isn't showing the burst that I saw in college, just yet. I'm certainly not gonna call him a wasted pick when he's still learning the game. Watts is simply ahead of the curb.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good stuff, hope we can keep them both.

Watts has looked better than Mason. His vision is two steps ahead and he's faster, anyhow.

Watts has looked better than Mason in all aspects of the game. While Mason has had some nice runs it's just what Watts does and how he does it. He is so sure and his feet are spectacular. When you hear Marshall raving about this kid you know he is showing something. What really surprised me is that his blitz pickups have been very good. He is never going to just pancake somebody but he puts his entire body into the block. He catches out of the back field very good. He is going to make the team. We have a 4 head monster rushing attack

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
No doubt in my mind Westbrooks makes the team. He's pushing for serious playing time as well! I'd love us to keep Sam as well. Interesting to hear Marshall Faulk refer to him as "trade bait" but I felt it was a fair comment as his pre-season play has definitely proved him to be better than cut-bait or practice squad stuff. Pass rushers are at a premium and everyone needs one - its not every D-line in the league which is as stock full as ours after all! I've loved his attitude (Sams) though - he came in with a heap of distractions (some of his own making to be fair - the Oprah thing etc) but he's just got his head down and worked and from the sounds of it won the respect of his teammates. I'm sure he'll have a good career.

Tre Watts - what can I say? Wow. Very impressive. Like DXMissile said - his blitz pickup was excellent. I get the feeling he's very intelligent. You see it in his running - with his vision and patience, and also with his blitz recognition. Showed some guts to make a tough block on a guy about 4 times as big as him that I know a few backs would have just dived at his knees... 4 headed monster running attack?!

Tweed335

UDFA
Watts has looked better than Mason in all aspects of the game. While Mason has had some nice runs it's just what Watts does and how he does it. He is so sure and his feet are spectacular. When you hear Marshall raving about this kid you know he is showing something. What really surprised me is that his blitz pickups have been very good. He is never going to just pancake somebody but he puts his entire body into the block. He catches out of the back field very good. He is going to make the team. We have a 4 head monster rushing attack

I haven't had the opportunity to watch the preseason as closely as I'd have liked to, but from your review you're telling me that Watts is more decisive in his running. To me that is what separated Stacy from Richardson and Pead. I completely appreciate Mason's contribution to Auburn, and of course expect big things from him as a Rams fan, but I hope it is a matter Mason catching up rather than him just 'not knowing what to do,' like it seemed with Pead. I see/saw hesitation in Pead; however, when I have seen Mason I do not see the same hesitation as I saw in the aforementioned RB, so perhaps we have a stable of RB talent!!

Appreciate your analysis DX!

PS!

What a great position to be in as a Team: 'Do we keep this young promising DL that can rush the passer, or the other DL that can rush the passer, ??!! Oh, and both can play the run : (', and 'Ugh, I have too many talented RB's to fill my roster!'

Times they are a changing', Fans. Perhaps Hill will surprise us. Regardless, the next man up will be in a position to succeed this, or next year!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Sam will be traded I bet. He's too good to just cut and hope he doesn't get snatched up.
I'd trade either Sam or Westbrook ,my price Sam 6th,Westbrook 4th or maybe a 3rd OR a top notch backup LB
Watts made my team a week ago cemented it tonight,Reynolds odd man out

Jwise1727

UDFA
Michael Sam may not make this team, but he proved that he can play in this league. Dallas is in desperate need of pass rushers. If we cut him, I wonder if Dallas tries to sign him? Week 3 would be quite interesting if that happened

fearsomefour

Legend
I hate to see any player get seriously injured. The up side to Pead going down is Watts. I think he HAS to make the team.
Sam proved he can play and has heart. If he doesn't stick in St. Louis he will end up somewhere.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't had the opportunity to watch the preseason as closely as I'd have liked to, but from your review you're telling me that Watts is more decisive in his running. To me that is what separated Stacy from Richardson and Pead. I completely appreciate Mason's contribution to Auburn, and of course expect big things from him as a Rams fan, but I hope it is a matter Mason catching up rather than him just 'not knowing what to do,' like it seemed with Pead. I see/saw hesitation in Pead; however, when I have seen Mason I do not see the same hesitation as I saw in the aforementioned RB, so perhaps we have a stable of RB talent!!

Appreciate your analysis DX!

PS!

What a great position to be in as a Team: 'Do we keep this young promising DL that can rush the passer, or the other DL that can rush the passer, ??!! Oh, and both can play the run : (', and 'Ugh, I have too many talented RB's to fill my roster!'

Times they are a changing', Fans. Perhaps Hill will surprise us. Regardless, the next man up will be in a position to succeed this, or next year!

Thanx... To answer your question, Mason when he trust his eyes he is explosive and hits the whole. To many times at Auburn he had big holes to run through so he didn't really have to read and react. The difference between Mason and Pead is that when Mason tries to bounce it out he can still break a tackle and get positive yards. Pead is more elusive than powerful. I think when Mason start trusting his eyes we will see the rb that he was at Auburn. Watts on the other hand goes where the play is designed and he uses that to find other lanes that may open up. If you watch him run he is always going to his first hole then he makes some moves to find another opening. That's what Faulk calls operating in the Phone-booth. To me to have that trait early as a rookie is a good thing. That normally comes from guys that aren't as fast as a Pead or Mason so naturally to overcome the lack of speed you have to have great vison quick feet and power and watts has that in spades

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I'd trade either Sam or Westbrook ,my price Sam 6th,Westbrook 4th or maybe a 3rd OR a top notch backup LB
Watts made my team a week ago cemented it tonight,Reynolds odd man out
With the health of Hayes quite up in the air at present not sure either guy gets cut. Sims is dinged up too, we might actually need both of them.
Not sure why the two C's have locked down roster spots, haven't seen Jack from either of them.