Two things I think we know...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
These came out in the Snead interview with Dan Patrick.

1) The Rams knew which QB they were gonna take when they executed the trade up.

2) Snead said that the Rams were uninterested in any hypothetical trade down scenario that would leave them with the "other" QB. Period.

So, it seems to me that the decision has clearly been made. The time leading up to the draft is for drama. It's kinda nice seeing the wall to wall Ram coverage, huh?

As an aside, here are my opinions on several matters that have been mentioned by posters on both sides of the QB fence...

Goff's weight is not an issue. He's fine at 215-220.

Goff's hand size is fine. He's proven that over 3 years and in all kinds of weather.

Wentz has proven his passing skills despite the "low" 612 total. Championship games, come from behind drives, combine drills, pro days, private workouts, you name it. The kid can get the job done, and it's a mistake to ding him for low pass totals considering the type of O he was asked to run. Particularly when nursing leads so often.

It's silly to ding Wentz as injury prone while praising the smaller Goff as having a non injury advantage. That could reverse itself in one contact NFL practice. A 6'5" QB at 235 is not what I would call a fragile specimen! Does Roethlisberger seem fragile to you? ANY QB can get hurt, including Roethlisberger, but c'mon...

Myself? I'm upping my guesstimate to 65-35 in favor of Wentz as the pick. Almost too perfect as a Fisher type QB, don't you think?

But you better believe I will be happy with either. And I also think either can eventually take us to the promised land if we maintain our D and ST strengths, plus see growth from our OL and a healthy Gurley.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

2) Snead said that the Rams were uninterested in any hypothetical trade down scenario that would leave them with the "other" QB. Period.

So, it seems to me that the decision has clearly been made. The time leading up to the draft is for drama. It's kinda nice seeing the wall to wall Ram coverage, huh?

As an aside, here are my opinions on several matters that have been mentioned by posters on both sides of the QB fence...

Goff's hand size is fine. He's proven that over 3 years and in all kinds of weather.

Wentz has proven his passing skills despite the "low" 612 total. Championship games, come from behind drives, combine drills, pro days, private workouts, you name it. The kid can get the job done, and it's a mistake to ding him for low pass totals considering the type of O he was asked to run. Particularly when nursing leads so often.

It's silly to ding Wentz as injury prone while praising the smaller Goff as having a non injury advantage. That could reverse itself in one contact NFL practice. A 6'5" QB at 235 is not what I would call a fragile specimen! Does Roethlisberger seem fragile to you? ANY QB can get hurt, including Roethlisberger, but c'mon...

Myself? I'm upping my guesstimate to 65-35 in favor of Wentz as the pick. Almost too perfect as a Fisher type QB, don't you think?

But you better believe I will be happy with either. And I also think either can eventually take us to the promised land if we maintain our D and ST strengths, plus see growth from our OL and a healthy Gurley.

Amen brotha, great points!

I'm all in on Wentz and truly believe he will be the pick.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Wentz fits the system too well to not be the pick, Goff might put up better numbers and be a better qb in some peoples eyes, but Wentz is a fisher guy and that's who makes the pick.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's silly to ding Wentz as injury prone while praising the smaller Goff as having a non injury advantage
Its silly to assume Wentz body type is more conducive to taking hits than Goff (which is what I've seen) when Goff has been injury free and Wentz missed half a year from injury.
Not saying that's what you are implying, just seems like a common "pro" from Wentz support

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Its silly to assume Wentz body type is more conducive to taking hits than Goff (which is what I've seen) when Goff has been injury free and Wentz missed half a year from injury.
Not saying that's what you are implying, just seems like a common "pro" from Wentz support

Goff has not been injury free dieter. He separated his shoulder and underwent surgery, but the timing of it was end of the season and he ended up not missing any games.

Injuries are a wash between these two. Any advantages Wentz gets with size he loses due to his RB style of ball carrying, which some team is going to have to cure him of.

The key is how do the Rams decision makers predict their adjustment to the NFL. Fish was just on record saying that Wentz is going to play in Super Bowls. Is he baiting the hook with the media or droppin bread crumbs. We just don't know.

IMO Wentz means heavy play action and a QB who can get yards in critical situations with natural running ability. Goff means they want a real passing game to complement Gurley. Wentz seems like the Fisher type QB, but at this point it's all guesswork. Would not surprise me to see them take Goff at all. And like many here I am good with either of these guys tbh. I think both are low risk, good character players with high ceilings.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
The edge (you can and have made compelling cases for either one to the Rams and being successful) goes to....

The Cali guy.

It is not Snead, it is not Fisher that broke the tie once they concluded that they both fit the "franchise description". It is Stan Kroenke.

Kroenke is not passing on a Cali kid that played in Cali and who is a natural pitchman for his Cali dream. All of Kroenke moves are based on making big money. Nothing surer than to sell and capitalize on his dream for a mule-purpose mega site than the local homeboy/hero's story making the Rams relevant in 2017.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I love the way you think! And I agree, Wentz should be the pick!(y)(y):yay::yess:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The edge (you can and have made compelling cases for either one to the Rams and being successful) goes to....

The Cali guy.

It is not Snead, it is not Fisher that broke the tie once they concluded that they both fit the "franchise description". It is Stan Kroenke.

Kroenke is not passing on a Cali kid that played in Cali and who is a natural pitchman for his Cali dream. All of Kroenke moves are based on making big money. Nothing surer than to sell and capitalize on his dream for a mule-purpose mega site than the local homeboy/hero's story making the Rams relevant in 2017.

Cmon now. There is one thing that fills seats in sports - and that thing is winning.

The rest of this is the product of us having too much time to debate 2 good prospects.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Cmon now. There is one thing that fills seats in sports - and that thing is winning.

What I said is they are both winners and will be in the NFL. Kroenke will go with the one that has the potential to make him the most MONEY. They both have the potential for the wins with the Rams... but Goff has the Cali potential over Wentz, Carr & Rivers,

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff has not been injury free dieter. He separated his shoulder and underwent surgery, but the timing of it was end of the season and he ended up not missing any games.

Injuries are a wash between these two. Any advantages Wentz gets with size he loses due to his RB style of ball carrying, which some team is going to have to cure him of.

The key is how do the Rams decision makers predict their adjustment to the NFL. Fish was just on record saying that Wentz is going to play in Super Bowls. Is he baiting the hook with the media or droppin bread crumbs. We just don't know.

IMO Wentz means heavy play action and a QB who can get yards in critical situations with natural running ability. Goff means they want a real passing game to complement Gurley. Wentz seems like the Fisher type QB, but at this point it's all guesswork. Would not surprise me to see them take Goff at all. And like many here I am good with either of these guys tbh. I think both are low risk, good character players with high ceilings.
Goff didn't miss a start in 3 years and Wentz played only a year and a half.
And somehow he's the more reliable physical specimen?
I don't buy it.
Goff has same specs as Matt Ryan and Eli Manning. I'd gladly sign up for their attendance records

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
Wentz fits the system too well to not be the pick, Goff might put up better numbers and be a better qb in some peoples eyes, but Wentz is a fisher guy and that's who makes the pick.

I agree. Snead and Fish love having versatile weapons hence why they traded up for Austin and drafted an injured Gurley high. I bet Fish loves the fact that Wentz can tuck it and run because it adds ANOTHER dynamic to our counter/end around bread and butter offense.

Goff reminds me of Drew Brees when I watch him. Similar great footwork and excellent ball placement. Problem is, our offense is nothing like pass heavy New Orleans. (For reference NO was #3 in Pass Attempts Per Game in 2015 and the Rams were near the bottom of the barrel at #30).

I get that people watch the Goff film and go bonkers for the accurate gun slinging but if we look at the rest of OUR pieces, scheme, and coach, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment expecting anyone other than Wentz.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goff didn't miss a start in 3 years and Wentz played only a year and a half.
And somehow he's the more reliable physical specimen?
I don't buy it.
Goff has same specs as Matt Ryan and Eli Manning. I'd gladly sign up for their attendance records

I'd sign up for it too. I prefer Goff. But to say that Goff has not been injured--which many are saying--is not correct. He has been injured, but simply benefitted by the timing of the injury.

Again, though, I don't think the injury question is a differentiating element between them. If it is, it is way down the list beneath more important things.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Cali guy.

Goff is from NORTHERN California. There is a strong historic rivalry between the north part of the state and the south, especially between LA and the Bay area, especially San Francisco of course.

They may be taking Goff - but I am positive it has nothing to do with him being from the Bay area and that he went to Cal.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd sign up for it too. I prefer Goff. But to say that Goff has not been injured--which many are saying--is not correct. He has been injured, but simply benefitted by the timing of the injury.

Again, though, I don't think the injury question is a differentiating element between them. If it is, it is way down the list beneath more important things.
I don't buy that it was timing. Goff got his azz kicked all season and by year end he seperated his shoulder. By the same respect if the coach would have kept his future star out of harms way in a meaningless game, he wouldn't have gotten hurt. Either way he didn't miss any games due to injury and Wentz has.
Goff is built like Manning who hasn't missed a snap. Bradford was 6-4 235 and we know how his injury history was. There's just no recipe to predict who gets hurt and when

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
You think there will be less love for a N Cali guy or from a N Dakota Guy? I don't.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think there will be less love for a N Cali guy or from a N Dakota Guy? I don't.

I think that where they're from will not factor in the least for which the Rams choose. I don't think it would have mattered if one of the two had gone to UCLA instead, but I especially think that believing that coming from the Bay area should be a plus shows a huge misunderstanding of the LA area. It won't keep the Rams from choosing him, if they believe he is best - but it will have zero marketing advantage too.

TexasRam

Legend
Goff is from NORTHERN California. There is a strong historic rivalry between the north part of the state and the south, especially between LA and the Bay area, especially San Francisco of course.

They may be taking Goff - but I am positive it has nothing to do with him being from the Bay area and that he went to Cal.

Agreed. I am from Northern Cali. Niner Land. The Antithesis of Southern Cali. Rams-Niners Dodgers-Giants. Huge Rivalry between south and north.

To pick Goff because he is a Cali guy isn't in play here. To pick Goff to play for the Niners makes sense however. That's where he's from and that's who he roots for.

Having said that, lets foil the Niners plan and take Goff.

Bizon

UDFA
Either way he didn't miss any games due to injury and Wentz has.

FWIW, he did miss the entire second half of that game because of the injury. Whether he would have missed games, IDK.

Not sure if this moves the needle for any of you, but Wentz broke his wrist on the second series of the game. He finished the game not knowing it was broken.

Disclaimer: I'm a Wentz/NDSU fan. Not trying to bash Goff. I've studied this quarterback class very close for over a year and they are both very good quarterbacks.

Ram Pat

Rookie

I am for Wentz....But on the hand size thing, it is true. Look it up, so far no Qb with 9" hands or below thrive in recent time. Goff has good feet and a quick release, I don't see that "good enough" arm when feet aren't perfect. I see Curt Cozzens. Is that worth moving up that far to #1? He may do well, I just don't see "chance" for real, strong arm, franchise Qb like Wentz.

Ram Pat

Rookie
What I said is they are both winners and will be in the NFL. Kroenke will go with the one that has the potential to make him the most MONEY. They both have the potential for the wins with the Rams... but Goff has the Cali potential over Wentz, Carr & Rivers,
Uh, Carr is Cali... and we passed.