Two seasons of Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who is Tavon Austin?

• A future All-pro playmaker who needs more time and a legit QB/OC

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • A solid all purpose guy who will make a few big plays on occasion

Votes: 75 48.4%
  • Gadget player and primarily a punt returner

Votes: 36 23.2%
  • Future journeyman/First rd Bust

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Hard for me to evaluate at this point. He's always a threat so that keeps the defense guessing which can help other players. But considering the Rams lost out on draft Kyle Long OG and Larry Warford OG to draft Tavon Austin I'd say now that I with the Rams had not drafted him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think he will be solid and make some REALLY exciting plays from time to time. Defenses will almost always have to account for him so I think that in itself makes him a great offensive weapon.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
For me, in the end, I'm a Rams fan. Schotty is a member of the Rams. That might change in the foreseeable future, and it might not. Everyone has a right to dislike him and criticize him. But past a certain point, it starts becoming really irritating. I'm not the one who responded to Mackeyser's thoughtful post with "stop blaming the OC" (although it needs to be pointed out that that's just an excerpt, not the whole reply). But I'm thinking it's less in reply to him and more to the overabundance of criticism. Maybe it might help if some who felt the way you do were the ones shooting down the substanceless stuff. After all, it's YOUR point that it's hurting.

I'm gonna make this my last response to you about this topic, as we've bled it pretty good by now.

Like you, I am also a Rams fan, and yes, Schotty is a member of the Rams. Probably will be next year too. As such, I would like to see him become a better OC, which I don't think is an unreasonable request. Questioning specific areas where he is weak is part of that process. Granted, this is just a message board which he probably doesn't read or take much advice from. Still, the point is that I hope he looks at some of the same areas critics like myself are looking at and concludes he can improve - and then takes the necessary steps to do so. If he becomes a better playcaller, figures out a way to use Tavon in the passing game (I think he's done a decent job in the running game), considers some simplifications to the offense, etc., I'm confident we'll see better results - which we both want. And that's the crux, we both want the same thing, we may not agree on how to get it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It's also been shown numerous times that he has made this offense succeed on the field.

And how the hell is it strawman? I'm showing its NOT on Schotty and a change in OC will NOT magically make things better.

As far as the SD play, I have a hard time believing if they ran up the middle and got stuffed people would've called it a good playcall. It most likely been more along the lines "Oh Schotty's an idiot why run it up the middle, everyone knows its gonna be a run." Or if they passed and had it incomplete or had taken a sack.

Or the run/pass could've led to a score. crap happens. And again, a change in OC won't magically stop crap from happening.

Similar to my last post to Boffo, I'm going to conclude here, you can have the last word.

The points I'm trying to address, and that Mackeyser was IMO were those things that are directly under Schotty's control. I don't fault him for the fact that Austin Davis became spastic under pressure or that Hill underwhelmed as well. There is no debate that we need to get better personnel on offense, we know where we need it on the OL and we all know we definitely need it at QB, be it Sam or someone else. But things like playcalls, personnel groupings, alignments, scheme design, etc., those things are under Schotty's purview. As such, they are fair ground for criticism if he's not doing the best that he can with those things given the factors. Thus, calling him out for those things when one doesn't believe they are as good as they could be hardly constitutes putting all the blame on the OC.

I didn't put all the blame for the problems in 2011 on Josh McDaniel - it wasn't his fault that we had a plethora of injuries on the OL, exacerbated by a horrible OL coach, that we had a lack of talent at WR, that we had injuries at QB again, etc. On the other hand, it damn sure was McDaniels fault that he kept calling plays as if none of those factors existed.

As I told Boffo, in the end we both want the same thing - success for the Rams. I simply believe that our OC - be it Schotty (likely next year) - or whoever else, has to do better with those areas that are under his direct control. YMMV.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'm gonna make this my last response to you about this topic, as we've bled it pretty good by now.

Like you, I am also a Rams fan, and yes, Schotty is a member of the Rams. Probably will be next year too. As such, I would like to see him become a better OC, which I don't think is an unreasonable request. Questioning specific areas where he is weak is part of that process. Granted, this is just a message board which he probably doesn't read or take much advice from. Still, the point is that I hope he looks at some of the same areas critics like myself are looking at and concludes he can improve - and then takes the necessary steps to do so. If he becomes a better playcaller, figures out a way to use Tavon in the passing game (I think he's done a decent job in the running game), considers some simplifications to the offense, etc., I'm confident we'll see better results - which we both want. And that's the crux, we both want the same thing, we may not agree on how to get it.
I'd like to see Schotty become a better OC as well. I'd like to see every member of the Rams become better. It's just that the criticism of Schotty, which is been mostly comprised of either just straight up bashing on the guy, or unquestioning blame of him for things which very well may be execution issues is going to cause a reaction, just like it would for any Ram past a certain amount of criticism. Yes, you and Mackeyser and others have valid points on the guy, but let's just say there's a very poor signal-to-noise ratio on that subject and it becomes easy to tune out.

But I think it's important to note that NO ONE, whether mod or not, was telling you to not post about Schotty. So playing the "Oh, I guess we can't talk about Schotty! I guess we better ban the topic like we do relocation talk!" card was very disingenuous. You and others have the right to talk about Schotty. We and others have the right to reject what you're saying. That's not an attack on you. That's a rejection of the ARGUMENT, which we have as much right to do as you have to make the argument.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The lack of execution is a legitimate excuse for schotty. If the QB coulda made a better throw, if someone coulda blocked, if someone coulda made that catch there woulda been a lot more plays made.

But part of being an OC is recognizing your players deficiencies and strengths and plan accordingly. Was schotty able to do that?

Does he stay with what has worked or does he abandon it? I thought they were doing a good job with Tavon Austin running sweeps and quick outs. Seemed like he always got positive gains on those. Then Schotty decides to use Tavon as a decoy only in the Cardinals game. I still can't figure that one out. Tavon's speed outside on sweeps seem to always get a positive gain. Especially on first down. I wonder why the don't do that more?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Anyone notice how often Seattle moves Sherman to cover Tavon. Doesn't that speak to how much of a threat other teams view Tavon as. . .