Two quotes that I think sum up the Rams...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bskrilla

Starter
THANK YOU! I've been wondering how Fish reconciles this dichotomy in his own head as well.

He's willing to play a 'bend but don't break' defense because it makes the opposition's O go on long sustained drives to score. So apparently, he thinks that's an advantage for the defense.

But then he turns around and wants to play an offense that is designed to what....go on long sustained drives to score.....to 'eat up the clock'. But if long sustained drives are an advantage for the D, then it's an advantage for the opposition's D as well, and he's playing right into their hands.

I don't get it at all. But have never said anything because I figured *I* must be crazy to think that if nobody else does. I mean, I'd like to think I'm a reasonably intelligent person. But by the same token, it's a cinch I won't ever remotely have my name mentioned in the same breath as Einstein. Not a freakin' chance.

Yup. "We want to eat up the clock, not turn the ball over, and run it." and "We need to limit big plays on defense. Make them work for points."

You are literally running your offense in a way that you describe as a win if your D was playing against them.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
The JJ quote scares me, but coupled with Chris Long's disgusted tweet I'm also beginning to get curious on if Fisher is finally losing the locker room.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Files needs to setup quick and get the ball out to quick
Figured you wanted to get the ball to Quick....good idea!:yess:
Baltimore+Ravens+v+St+Louis+Rams+kkpCmrvyEsal.jpg

Baltimore+Ravens+v+St+Louis+Rams+jwMWCDmibL2l.jpg

But if long sustained drives are an advantage for the D, then it's an advantage for the opposition's D as well
Call me crazy, but I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory that "bend but don't break" defense is the best way to go. Why do teams preach 3 & outs? Leaving the offense on the sideline is a great thing. More reps on offense is a great thing. The longer a defense is on the field, the more opportunities for stuff (TD's & FG's and even better, rhythm/chemistry) can happen.

The JJ quote scares me, but coupled with Chris Long's disgusted tweet I'm also beginning to get curious on if Fisher is finally losing the locker room.
What Long tweet hometown?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
If I'm JJ, I'm probably going to look at Miami and Tampa as a FA. Tampa has built a pretty solid offense and has good defensive pieces, and Miami is an OK team with upside, and both are close to where I grew up. Hard to imagine him staying in STL unless we throw a bank vault at him. Before the season, sure, but his frustration with this offense is boiling over, and I'm sure he wants to play for a team that can win if he and his unit play well.

He won't be the only one...

FRO

Legend
I thought this was the quote that sums things up for the Rams:

View: http://youtu.be/qi1LMIUOOAI

I agree with everybody in this thread. Fisher and Snead had 4 years to fix the offense. The were given a bunch of cap space and a bounty of high picks to make it happen. They didn't. Time to move on.

FrankenRam

Starter
Call me crazy, but I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory that "bend but don't break" defense is the best way to go. Why do teams preach 3 & outs? Leaving the offense on the sideline is a great thing. More reps on offense is a great thing. The longer a defense is on the field, the more opportunities for stuff (TD's & FG's and even better, rhythm/chemistry) can happen.

I certainly wouldn't call you crazy for thinking that. It makes some sense. But even if I don't completely embrace the notion, here's why I'm mostly OK with it...other than because it's working pretty well for the Rams right now....

When I consider if I'd prefer a stellar defense and an ok-good offense vs the opposite, I'll take door #1. Because....

An offense has 1 job, and 1 job only. Score points. As many as possible every game.

A defense has one primary job. Stop the opposition from scoring. But that is only their primary job. They also have the added benefit of potentially scoring points as well. Granted, it doesn't happen often, but even a handful of times per year could potentially put a couple more W's up on the board. And if they don't actually score, but 'only' take the ball away from the opposition often enough and give their own O good field position to do the actual scoring, it could potentially make or break a season.

Obviously, the Rams' D has lived up to their end of such things this year. But the O.....oh, the O (he sez...shuddering).

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We know Gurley is a rare talent. But with all the line problems is he going to wasted like Steven Jackson? The quarterback problems are part of that too. They can't take advantage of defenses focusing so much on Gurley. How many quarterbacks around the league would love to have a guy like that to run play action out of.

And what about the coaching? I know Boudreaux is highly thought of on Rams forums. But how long has he been coaching this team and how many young guys has he developed into decent lineman? At some point, you have to wonder if the guys who picked these players failed or if the coaches can't coach them up and develop them into serviceable linemen.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
An offense has 1 job, and 1 job only. Score points. As many as possible every game.

That's why he needs Mad Mike! Score first, last and in the middle! Keep the pressure on until you've won or ran out of time. Hopefully both!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
...both from the ESPN writeup about the game

He thinks we have good coaches and good players, despite the fact that the coaches cannot scheme for or the players cannot play up to "scoring... points and converting third downs," pretty much the two most important indicators that your offensive personnel and coaching are good.

How long before the D just stops trying? This has been JJ's entire NFL career - hell, Long's entire NFL career - that no matter how good the defense plays, it doesn't matter... they are next to powerless to actually make the Rams a winning team.

I don't understand how Fisher - a defensive player and defensive-minded coach - can build a team that is so simultaneously good on defense and horrible to play defense for.

Because he is the antithesis of Mike Martz. He is a defensive coordinator trying to be a head coach. Just like Schwartz in Detroit. Great head coaches either have a handle on both sides of the ball or they make sure they have a more than capable counterpart to make up for their weakness. Fisher needs a strong OC to take over on offense. Chud would have been a good one. Ironically Martz would be a good one, despite his flaws. Fox/Gase is a great combination. Chicago will be a playoff team soon. They have a good enough QB. They are balanced.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How hard can it be to actually throw an accurate ball on third and 5?

Fisher pushed panic button on Foles too quick. Yes some of Foles throws were dogshit but let's remember all the 3rd down drops right in the hands of Jared Cook Britt even Tavon.

Let's get Foles back in there with Welker and throw the dam ball without fear.

Files needs to setup quick and get the ball out quick to non Cook Players and get this team rolling.

The panic button came too late on Foles. Problem is that Keenum is just as shitty. And there's no way Fisher will make the change to Mannion to see what he's made of.

The problem isn't that Foles was benched too soon. The problem is that we have nothing but shit on the roster at QB. Again.(until Mannion proves otherwise)

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
...both from the ESPN writeup about the game

He thinks we have good coaches and good players, despite the fact that the coaches cannot scheme for or the players cannot play up to "scoring... points and converting third downs," pretty much the two most important indicators that your offensive personnel and coaching are good.

How long before the D just stops trying? This has been JJ's entire NFL career - hell, Long's entire NFL career - that no matter how good the defense plays, it doesn't matter... they are next to powerless to actually make the Rams a winning team.

I don't understand how Fisher - a defensive player and defensive-minded coach - can build a team that is so simultaneously good on defense and horrible to play defense for.
nice locker room atmosphere i bet. good luck signing all the defensive FA's next off season.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The panic button came too late on Foles. Problem is that Keenum is just as crappy. And there's no way Fisher will make the change to Mannion to see what he's made of.

The problem isn't that Foles was benched too soon. The problem is that we have nothing but crap on the roster at QB. Again.(until Mannion proves otherwise)
BUT the rams paid what, $10 million less for basically the same crap. atta boy! :poop:

Schmitzer

UDFA
Fisher's not going to throw his staff, nor his players under the bus. That's not his style and while it may drive us crazy (does he really think that!), it's the right approach.

If he does that, then what? Players quit on him, can't make the assistant hire he wants, etc. Nothing good would come of it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Here are my two quotes.

“We’re a team. We are not an offensive team and a defensive team. Every one of us has to step up our game. I am not going to point fingers at anyone on this team. We need to stick together. We win as a team and we lose as a team.”
-- TJ McDonald

"I don’t care how many times we’re put out there. We’ve just got to find a way.”
-- James Laurinaitis

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's always confused me as to why you would build a dominant defense that's capable of dismantling teams and then want a "low risk" or clock-eating running offense.

With a great defense wouldn't you want a high risk/high reward offense because you have a defense that can bail you out?! I feel like a more high-risk offense plays plays to your strengths by giving you the potential for more scores while still banking on the strength of your team, the defense, to bail you out on the times that you fail.

Now you just have a less than mundane offense and a dominant defense that's tired of watching games slip away because we can't score any points.
Decent point. I think many of us would like to see maybe a little more risk. Certainly a lot more reward would be refreshing.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Yup. "We want to eat up the clock, not turn the ball over, and run it." and "We need to limit big plays on defense. Make them work for points."

You are literally running your offense in a way that you describe as a win if your D was playing against them.
I believe the intent in this philosophy is to allow your all star defense to rest so that they can continually pound the opposing offense and create turnovers. It is relying on the defense to win games. Our problem is that this offense isn't staying on the field long at all. 3 and outs don't fit into this philosophy.