Two QB's?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Slappy967

Starter
Gilbert actually looked decent early in the preseason and then got progressively worse. I think scheme wise and tools wise he is a good fit with our team.

ShaneFalco

Didn't you read, Snead told us to cut that out lol. In all seriousness I wonder how often he visits the ROD..
heh.I wonder if he does alot, thats pretty cool. Maybe he will read this. :)

ya but ill never stop with that with qbs like Orton in the league still. Ill explain the difference and why, i saw Orton go 1-4. He would have good stats every game. He would check the ball down 5 yards on 3rd and 15, he would drop the ball and fumble on the final drive. But he always had good stats. Then you have tim, he comes in, barely completes passes, but on 3rd and 15, he tucks the ball and goes head first into Urlacher and Briggs to get the first, he drives the team down on the final drive for a game winning FG, defying logic with 8/8 passes completed.

Thats the difference between the two type of QBs. And i still dont understand why for the life me, people like Orton have a job as a backup in Buf, while tim sits in FA.

To me, pretty passes dont win football games. Heart does.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Gilbert didn't impress anyone, he needs a year on the practice squad to learn and hopefully get better.
Austin Davis did look good in the last couple games, he has definitely stepped it up.
If he has to play, then he might not be too bad.
But, we should bring in a vet to compete with him for the backup spot. If Davis does well, then great, if not, we will have options at least.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't think we "need" a veteran backup. I do agree that if Hill goes down too, then any veteran would probably be more effective that Davis, but I suspect it would be a marginal benefit and will probably not carry us much further at that point. What's great about Davis is he is cheap and very experienced in our offensive scheme.

As far as Gilbert goes, if he clears waivers, I think the right move in to add him on the practice squad. We drafted him as a developmental project and we have to be patient with him. Why exactly would we let him go for someone else who didn't even make a team's practice squad?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't think we "need" a veteran backup. I do agree that if Hill goes down too, then any veteran would probably be more effective that Davis, but I suspect it would be a marginal benefit and will probably not carry us much further at that point. What's great about Davis is he is cheap and very experienced in our offensive scheme.

As far as Gilbert goes, if he clears waivers, I think the right move in to add him on the practice squad. We drafted him as a developmental project and we have to be patient with him. Why exactly would we let him go for someone else who didn't even make a team's practice squad?

I don't think that we need a new guy either. Of all the veteran QBs out there to sign, well, they suck. Why spend money to suck with them when we can suck with Davis? That's using the assumption that he will suck, which I don't think he will. At least this way we can finally be sure of what we got.

WiscRam

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

This brings up a question that I have and there appears to be some confusion about. My understanding is if a player young enough to qualify for the ps is not claimed by the deadline, they are free to sign with any team and placed on their ps. Is this accurate? If yes, then it's possible to nab a guy like Shaw (as an example) who might see a better opportunity in St. Louis than behind Hoyer/The Circus. If no, then I fully agree the remaining scrap pile would offer very little.

That said, it sounds like the Rams brass is higher in Gilbert than I suspected, so it's probably a moot point.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
This brings up a question that I have and there appears to be some confusion about. My understanding is if a player young enough to qualify for the ps is not claimed by the deadline, they are free to sign with any team and placed on their ps. Is this accurate? If yes, then it's possible to nab a guy like Shaw (as an example) who might see a better opportunity in St. Louis than behind Hoyer/The Circus. If no, then I fully agree the remaining scrap pile would offer very little.

That said, it sounds like the Rams brass is higher in Gilbert than I suspected, so it's probably a moot point.

Yes, we could sign Shaw to the practice squad but I have the feeling that the only way that would happen is if someone else claims Gilbert for their active roster which is unlikely. A lot of people like Shaw as a prospect but I think Gilbert will be the better player if he is given time to learn. Gilbert fits our offensive scheme and he has more potential than Shaw in my opinion. Currently, yes, I believe Shaw is the better player but he has reached his ceiling for the most part.

AZRamsFan93

They are likely to look for a veteran QB to backup Hill. And they are VERY LIKLEY to be adding Gilbert to the practice squad. He is exactly the kind of "developmental" guy they need to keep. Conner Shaw is no where close to being the prospect that Gilbert will develop into. And I like Shaw. He's a competitor, but he doesn't have the tools that Gilbert has.
I just don't understand the love of Gilbert. Career backup at best, IMHO.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I just don't understand the love of Gilbert. Career backup at best, IMHO.
You obviously didn't see him in the practice field. The kid had some ability.

But you may end up bring right. I don't think anyone is saying he is destined to be the savior of the organization.

AZRamsFan93

You obviously didn't see him in the practice field. The kid had some ability.

But you may end up bring right. I don't think anyone is saying he is destined to be the savior of the organization.
Agreed. I only saw him in the games. He looked like a scared rookie.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Jeff Fischer planning on signing tebow.
3MJ0

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, I don't want the Rams to make a trade unless they feel they can get their starter in 2015. IMO they might need all the draft picks for ammunition to trade up in the draft with hope they are not drafting in the upper tier. If they want a veteran there really isn't anybody out there that was released.

They could give up a conditional draft choice for Ryan Mallett for example as some have posted he'd be a good fit for the offense, however, there is a reason he did not make it New England. Rams will play their first game with two QB's with Hekker as the emergency number 3 unless there is something in the works.

It's obvious next year will be the pivotal year because I don't forecast a quality free agent starter QB being available and I don't believe they will make a trade, but they will draft a quarterback early and bring Bradford back for one more year. That's the way I see it working out, but once again I would really like to stop speculating for this franchise and just start winning some damn games year in and year out.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Doesn't it make sense, that if the Rams preferred Shaw over Gilbert, they would have drafted him instead of Gilbert.
Shaw did go undrafted, correct?

Yes, and I agree! But from what I've heard out of Cleveland, Shaw did have a very impressive pre-season. If so, I'm sure Fish & Co are well aware of this and will weigh all options before adding a QB. They're both projects, albeit different types of projects