Two QB's?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WiscRam

UDFA
Common sentiment seems to be that we are in need of a veteran QB to back-up Hill, moving Davis to 3rd string. There is also a contingency, myself among them, that are in favor of a practice squad QB not named Gilbert.

Does anyone think it's likely we may actually be looking for two qb's?

Personally, I'd love to see a young, developmental qb added to the practice squad that I could get excited about, with Connor Shaw (loved him coming out and he was great against my Badgers) being on the top of my list.

Thoughts?

WiscRam

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Common sentiment seems to be that we are in need of a veteran QB to back-up Hill, moving Davis to 3rd string. There is also a contingency, myself among them, that are in favor of a practice squad QB not named Gilbert.

Does anyone think it's likely we may actually be looking for two qb's?

Personally, I'd love to see a young, developmental qb added to the practice squad that I could get excited about, with Connor Shaw (loved him coming out and he was great against my Badgers) being on the top of my list.

Thoughts?

WiscRam

I'd be very surprised with 2 QB's.

I think we grab someone, maybe still via trade.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
For sure they sign a guy. Only question is how young is he going to be?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
They are likely to look for a veteran QB to backup Hill. And they are VERY LIKLEY to be adding Gilbert to the practice squad. He is exactly the kind of "developmental" guy they need to keep. Conner Shaw is no where close to being the prospect that Gilbert will develop into. And I like Shaw. He's a competitor, but he doesn't have the tools that Gilbert has.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
They are likely to look for a veteran QB to backup Hill. And they are VERY LIKLEY to be adding Gilbert to the practice squad. He is exactly the kind of "developmental" guy they need to keep. Conner Shaw is no where close to being the prospect that Gilbert will develop into. And I like Shaw. He's a competitor, but he doesn't have the tools that Gilbert has.

Good to hear some praise for Gilbert. He's raw, obviously.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm not so sure about this "veteran to back up Hill" either. When Sam went down...in hindsight I remember they went right to Davis.

Now...I'm not advocating either way. It just seems to me they have some confidence in Davis. I guess the next few days will give us the answer.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Connor shaw is a different QB than Gilbert. Hard to compare. Shaw better at improvising and Gilbert better pocket tools/size. Both can scramble. Shaw is more composed in big games by far as far as college. You can't say he's nowhere close and I have no preference.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Connor shaw is a different QB than Gilbert. Hard to compare. Shaw better at improvising and Gilbert better pocket tools/size. Both can scramble. Shaw is more composed in big games by far as far as college. You can't say he's nowhere close and I have no preference.
I was talking purely from physical tools.... size, arm strength, system fit. Also, don't sell him short in terms of his college experience. He played under a pretty good coach when it comes to teaching and developing QBs.

I realize that can be said about Shaw and "the Old Ball Coach", but I think this organization feels pretty good about Gilbert.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
A veteran seems ideal
I'm just not sure if we can fit one under the cap.
I'm not even sure if we have the car space to sign our practice e squad yet.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
I was talking purely from physical tools.... size, arm strength, system fit. Also, don't sell him short in terms of his college experience. He played under a pretty good coach when it comes to teaching and developing QBs.

I realize that can be said about Shaw and "the Old Ball Coach", but I think this organization feels pretty good about Gilbert.
Both played for pure system coaches that are very good at coaching college QB's at spreading it out. Not nfl traditional type of play. Gimmick offenses if you will. That's not selling either one of those very good coaches short but that's fact. Gilbert has the better measurables, yes. No denying that. I.e. Timmy Chang and Danny Wuerful being great college QB's that amounted to nothing

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Doesn't it make sense, that if the Rams preferred Shaw over Gilbert, they would have drafted him instead of Gilbert.
Shaw did go undrafted, correct?

WiscRam

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I said car space, not cap space.

Auto correct isn't always right.
Glad to hear Coach O's optimism for Gilbert. I haven't been impressed with him and loved shaw (and a few others we passed on/could have drafted), thus was questioning whether they thought enough of him to make him the qb they stashed on the ps. Sounds like that is the case (I trust a guy like O who's seen so much).

Thx for weighing in.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Glad to hear Coach O's optimism for Gilbert. I haven't been impressed with him and loved shaw (and a few others we passed on/could have drafted), thus was questioning whether they thought enough of him to make him the qb they stashed on the ps. Sounds like that is the case (I trust a guy like O who's seen so much).

Thx for weighing in.
I do as well.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
For the first few weeks anyone the Rams will bring in would likely back up Davis. Even in a semi similar system it would take a while to get up to speed with the playbook just to run a fraction of the offense. That's why it makes sense to have Gilbert on the PS. More continuity.
If the Rams thought Gilbert was all that he wouldn't have been cut.
It would be nice to have a vet QB that has played in the reg. season on the roster just incase it comes to the point that stability is need if something Happens to Hill.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
We need a veteran backup, no questioning that. I liked Shaw as well but the backup for Hill is a much more important issue. The next few days should be fun with the roster coming together and the season opener around the corner. Excitement is in the air.I am not sold on Gilbert, although he had terrible protection for much of his appearances.