Two guys on my 2014 draft watch list

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Two guys I am watching who could fill needs for the Rams after this season....

Xavier Su'a-Filo, G, UCLA, plays LG and gets a nice push in the run game. I am hoping the Rams add talent at DT and Oline (either G or T) with their first round picks next year. I would peg a G for either the second first rounder or a later pick. I dont know where this guy projects at this point but I like the push he gets in the running game, plays with balance from what I have seen.

David Fales, QB, San Jose St., will no doubtly be ranked lower than he should becaue of where he plays. Pocket passer with good size (6' 3", 220lbs). When looking for a backup you have two choices, either get a guy with a similar skill set and run the offense as close as you can to the starter or get a guy with a different skill set (runner) and change things up. I want a guy who can step in if need be. Fales has been up and down, but, has good size, decent touch and a strong enough arm. I am thinking he could be had around the 4th or 5th round.

I am basing this just on guys I have seen play (thus the west coast flavor).

Anyone you guys are liking so far this college season??

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
lockdnram21 said:
Cooper wr for Alabama

Cooper's a true sophomore. He's unable to come out until 2015.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Memento said:
lockdnram21 said:
Cooper wr for Alabama

There was a receiver for Texas A&M who looked pretty good, Mike Evans I think it was. He did well against Alabama. Methinks he could do pretty well at the NFL level.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I'm not looking to get a new WR, I like the ones we already have well enough that I'd rather look at other areas like the O-line. Possibly LB and Safety depending on how this year turns out. Plus we might have to replace Saffold. Call me a happy camper if we go tackle and guard in the first round.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
brokeu91 said:
Memento said:
lockdnram21 said:
Cooper wr for Alabama

There was a receiver for Texas A&M who looked pretty good, Mike Evans I think it was. He did well against Alabama. Methinks he could do pretty well at the NFL level.

Agreed. Keep an eye on a couple of other underrated receivers as well: Donte Moncrief (Ole Miss), Allen Robinson (Penn State), Devin Street (Pittsburgh), and Rashad Greene (Florida State).

For offensive tackles and guards, Antonio Richardson (Tennessee) is an intriguing option in the first round. James Hurst (North Carolina) might end up being a top ten pick; he's going up against a major slate of pass-rushers, but already manhandled Clowney. Cyrus Kouandijo (Alabama), Andrew Norwell (Ohio State), and especially Cornelius Lucas (Kansas State) are ones to keep an eye on.

Also, I want Ra'Shede Hageman in the first round. I don't care that he's a defensive tackle; he's going to be a really special and dominant player.

paceram

Pro Bowler
fearsomefour said:

Xavier Su'a-Filo, G, UCLA, plays LG and gets a nice push in the run game. I am hoping the Rams add talent at DT and Oline (either G or T) with their first round picks next year. I would peg a G for either the second first rounder or a later pick. I dont know where this guy projects at this point but I like the push he gets in the running game, plays with balance from what I have seen.

David Fales, QB, San Jose St., will no doubtly be ranked lower than he should becaue of where he plays. Pocket passer with good size (6' 3", 220lbs). When looking for a backup you have two choices, either get a guy with a similar skill set and run the offense as close as you can to the starter or get a guy with a different skill set (runner) and change things up. I want a guy who can step in if need be. Fales has been up and down, but, has good size, decent touch and a strong enough arm. I am thinking he could be had around the 4th or 5th round.

I am basing this just on guys I have seen play (thus the west coast flavor).

One player I am hoping will be around when the Rams pick in the 1st round of the 2014 NFL Draft (with either their pick or the Redskins pick) is LB C.J. Mosley (Alabama). He seems to be a very active & instinctive LB who can play all three LB positions.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A first round rookie linebacker won't see the field much with Laurinitis and Ogletree getting all of the snaps ans the third LBer going to the sideline when the team plays Nickel.

That is a big investment, unless the plan is to cut L in two years. There are still needs that are more urgent IMO.

I think converted safeties that can play Lber is the wave of the future. With all of the passing, No Huddle, spread offenses and Read Option in the NFL teams will need faster, leaner players that won't get winded so easily and can match the speed of a Kaepernick or RGIII. Fisher already knows this and he got a good one in Armstrong, if the kid can keep his head on straight. He hits like he is much bigger but he has the closing speed and is lean enough to keep a fast pace. I think he is the future plan at LBer....or someone in his mold will be.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Elmgrovegnome added:
A first round rookie linebacker won't see the field much with Laurinitis and Ogletree getting all of the snaps ans the third LBer going to the sideline when the team plays Nickel.

Are you saying that if we drafted another Ogletree he wouldn't see the field much and we'd take him off the field in Nickle situations?

Why aren't we doing that with Tree?

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Memento said:
brokeu91 said:
Memento said:
lockdnram21 said:
Cooper wr for Alabama

Agreed. Keep an eye on a couple of other underrated receivers as well: Donte Moncrief (Ole Miss), Allen Robinson (Penn State), Devin Street (Pittsburgh), and Rashad Greene (Florida State).

For offensive tackles and guards, Antonio Richardson (Tennessee) is an intriguing option in the first round. James Hurst (North Carolina) might end up being a top ten pick; he's going up against a major slate of pass-rushers, but already manhandled Clowney. Cyrus Kouandijo (Alabama), Andrew Norwell (Ohio State), and especially Cornelius Lucas (Kansas State) are ones to keep an eye on.

Also, I want Ra'Shede Hageman in the first round. I don't care that he's a defensive tackle; he's going to be a really special and dominant player.

Thanks for the tips Memento.
The Rams best options for the first rounders are DT and Oline in my opinon.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
Elmgrovegnome added:

Are you saying that if we drafted another Ogletree he wouldn't see the field much and we'd take him off the field in Nickle situations?

Why aren't we doing that with Tree?

If a guy is talented enough he will see the field no matter what.
The reason I think the Rams would go to the lines with these picks as we have our starting QB, we are young with multiple options at RB, WR and TE, we have a very good and deep group at DE, I for one believe our starting three LBs are on the team....add in the fact that Wells and Dahl are not young guys anymore and Williams is a work in progress. I know we invested in Jones (wisely) last draft. But Dahl is a FA after next year and who knows if Wells sees the end of his contract. The possibility of Saffold leaving for big money to play LT somewhere is very real. So, looking at a situation where you could have your RT gone your RG into the last year of his deal and your LG needing an upgrade (I hope Williams is the answer, who knows at this point?) investing in either a G or a T with one of those picks seems unavoidable to me. I am focusing on G because even if the Redskins pick ends up being about 14 or so there will 3 or maybe 4 tackles off the board by then. Id rather have the best G than the 4th best T.
I see DT based on the D and the front seven in particular being such an important part of how this team is put together. We are set at 3 of those 4 spots. Langford is underrated and solid but if the opportunity presents itself to get a 4th player maker for that D line you have to grab it in my opinion.
DT, G or T, CB, QB....but, you know, a lot can change.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
fearsomefour said:

I will keep my eye open for a top Corner Back myself..that stinky rotten egg that Cortland Finnegan laid last week was about as bad as a starting CB can lay. When your team is paying Cortland 14 million plus to be here & win games for us he sure made every attempt possible to loose it.

His play last yr took a nose dive after the bye and he looks like he has not recover thus far....Rams are getting it up the posterior from him in terms of cap paid out vs performance. Trumaine Johnson has two outstanding plays and held up better than Cortland @ fraction of his cost. Thus if Cortland continues what he has done lately I looking for a CB.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
fearsomefour picking my brain:
If a guy is talented enough he will see the field no matter what.
The reason I think the Rams would go to the lines with these picks as we have our starting QB, we are young with multiple options at RB, WR and TE, we have a very good and deep group at DE, I for one believe our starting three LBs are on the team....add in the fact that Wells and Dahl are not young guys anymore and Williams is a work in progress. I know we invested in Jones (wisely) last draft. But Dahl is a FA after next year and who knows if Wells sees the end of his contract. The possibility of Saffold leaving for big money to play LT somewhere is very real. So, looking at a situation where you could have your RT gone your RG into the last year of his deal and your LG needing an upgrade (I hope Williams is the answer, who knows at this point?) investing in either a G or a T with one of those picks seems unavoidable to me. I am focusing on G because even if the Redskins pick ends up being about 14 or so there will 3 or maybe 4 tackles off the board by then. Id rather have the best G than the 4th best T.
I see DT based on the D and the front seven in particular being such an important part of how this team is put together. We are set at 3 of those 4 spots. Langford is underrated and solid but if the opportunity presents itself to get a 4th player maker for that D line you have to grab it in my opinion.
DT, G or T, CB, QB....but, you know, a lot can change.

Exactly.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
BonifayRam with his take:
I will keep my eye open for a top Corner Back myself..that stinky rotten egg that Cortland Finnegan laid last week was about as bad as a starting CB can lay. When your team is paying Cortland 14 million plus to be here & win games for us he sure made every attempt possible to loose it.

His play last yr took a nose dive after the bye and he looks like he has not recover thus far....Rams are getting it up the posterior from him in terms of cap paid out vs performance. Trumaine Johnson has two outstanding plays and held up better than Cortland @ fraction of his cost. Thus if Cortland continues what he has done lately I looking for a CB.
I've not been happy with Courtland's play for some time now so I obviously agree with this. Al though I'm not ready to panic yet.

Although I really didn't like the pick at the time, I've liked what I've seen from McGee so far.