Two former NFL players admit to drinking alcohol before games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-santana-moss-admit-to-drinking-before-games/

Clinton Portis, Santana Moss admit to drinking before games
Posted by Mike Florio on December 6, 2017

84104222-e1512561270227.jpg

Getty Images

As Washington closes in on a grievance hearing that could raise plenty of questions about the handling of alcohol by the organization, a couple of former players freely admit that they routinely drank alcohol before games.

“Prior to the game, on our way, we would take a little shot,” former Washington running back Clinton Portis told NBC4 in D.C. (via the Washington Post) regarding himself, receiver Santana Moss, and the late Sean Taylor. “Not like going out and getting sloppy wasted. Just adrenaline. You know, you take a shot and you were done with it. Me, Santana and Sean, we did this for a year and a half before anybody knew. We never told anybody. It was just, hey, here’s a little sip, bam, that was it.”

The drink of choice was Hennessy, and the tradition was sparked by a claim from Portis that he had one of his best games with the Broncos when he played with a hangover. Other players began doing it, and it continued until former coach Jim Zorn caught wind of it. Zorn believed they were doing it in honor of Taylor, who had since been killed as a result of a home invasion.

Portis defended the habit by pointing out that teams routinely pump players full of drugs.

“They give you shots [of medication], they give you all these pain meds, they give you all this [stuff],” Portis said. “Me, I didn’t take shots. You ask anybody. We needed to get an IV one time; it took me three hours to get an IV bag, because I hate needles. I don’t take meds. I don’t take shots. That just wasn’t me. So in pain or anything else, what did I do? You know what, I’ve got to play. Get my mind right, take my little sip, and I’m out of here.”

Moss downplayed the impact of the habit of taking a pregame shot.

“Once you get out there and all that adrenaline going on, that [alcohol] is out you, you know what I mean?” Moss said. “You’re taking all this Gatorade and water you don’t have it in your system no more . . . And that was just kind of having fun. You know what, let’s take that stress out of our heads and say let’s just have fun and not care so much. Because sometimes as players, you put so much pressure on yourself to go out there and perform. Man, let’s relax.”

They’re hardly alone when it comes to pre-game efforts to manage stress, especially in today’s climate. From the 60,000 fans who are scrutinizing what you do in the stadium to the hundreds of thousands watching at home to the millions with the ability to scream “you suck!” on social media whenever they want, players are processing plenty of stress — along with the constant risk of serious injury.

It should surprise no one that guys in their early-to-mid-20s would take a shot of alcohol (or more) or smoke marijuana or do whatever they need to do to handle the intense mental and physical demands of playing in the NFL.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I honestly don’t see the big deal. If it affected their performances negatively, sure, but I totally get wanting to get a quick jolt, if you will, from taking a shot and getting the adrenaline going

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I need to make a confession. I too have been known to drink before and during games. I know. I KNOW. You don’t think I know already? I blame it on the stress.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm sure they are not the only ones in History to do it! Several Old-Timer's come to mind! Guys that where known for being Party-Animal's!!(y);):D Kenny "The Snake" Stabler and many, many other's!

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I need to make a confession. I too have been known to drink before and during games. I know. I KNOW. You don’t think I know already? I blame it on the stress.
" OK! I'll Fess-Up Too! I'm Guilty of Drinking Pre-game and During the game! Especially in the Old "Pre-Dome" Days of Football when we Played in the Rain and the Mud and the Snow!!"
drunk-smiley-emoticon.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is hilarious! So we care because why? They are not hurting anyone except maybe themselves.
1. Poor Play will get them fired.
2.Mixing alcohol with the legal drugs could be bad, but it's on them.

…..

Legend
I used to play a mean game of basketball in the Army rec leagues after drinking two Colt 45's.

A couple guys here and there in the NFL hitting a vodka bottle before kickoff probably mirrors average population doing so as well. File this under "no big deal" unless you happen to be the guy with substance abuse/ suspensions and your vodka bottle is more like the devil owning your soul.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
A shot of liquor I can understand. I had a buddy that used to sneak one of those tall-boy Budweiser Clamato abominations in his bag so he could pound it before the game. How he avoided spewing clam flavored beer all over other teams, I will never know.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I used to play a mean game of basketball in the Army rec leagues after drinking two Colt 45's.

A couple guys here and there in the NFL hitting a vodka bottle before kickoff probably mirrors average population doing so as well. File this under "no big deal" unless you happen to be the guy with substance abuse/ suspensions and your vodka bottle is more like the devil owning your soul.
Somehow I’m picturing a lot of “establishing position” and hard fouls on rebounds. ;)

Psycho_X

Legend
What a pointless story. One shot isn't going to effect much, especially for an athlete in their 20s. With constant hydration and warming up it'd probably be burned off by kickoff anyway.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What a pointless story. One shot isn't going to effect much, especially for an athlete in their 20s. With constant hydration and warming up it'd probably be burned off by kickoff anyway.

Yeah 30 years ago players were probably pounding beers at halftime, who cares. It's a generational thing as well, and not really a big deal. As this league has become more and more of an elite business model and the generational change happens, I'd have to think it's become more stringent. These dudes nowadays probably keep it pretty clean outside of the painkillers teams give them.

I'm sure, btw, that they did more than one shot too lol. And I'm also sure that more players play hung over than anyone realizes and teams lose games because of it (like, say, the Rams in London under Fish where I presume they were probably all on IVs that morning lol). But whatevs.

Rams are much more businesslike now and geared towards a common goal. So I presume that if you were to rank the teams in terms of all that BS I would think the Rams are one of the cleaner locker rooms. Never know of course, but I'd guess it can be seen in the standings and consistency.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm sure they're not alone. I know for a fact that many rugby internationals used to drink before games - one French rugby international would drink half a bottle of Red wine before an international match, and the other half during half-time, he was also known to be having a cigarette or two!

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
If you pay attention to the sideline shots on tv pregame, you will see guys whiffing smelling salts to get fired up. I've seen Larry Fitzgerald do this more than once. It will give you that liltte jolt and it might be followed by a Ric Flair. "WOOOOOOO!" . These guys can cripple each other every play, I'm not worried about this. I'm more annoyed by players headbutting and hitting each others helmets to celebrate. How about a pat on the back or a fist bump? These guys take enough blows to the head as is.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I am sure a few alcoholics have made it to the NFL, Chris Carter cant have been the only one. And I'd be willing to bet they either got sober or didnt last long. But taking a shot before the game seems a waste to someone that thinks like me. Now maybe a pint to get that BAC back up a little bit so you can make it to halftime for another and then when you finally get home drink to oblivion. Come to still drunk and keep that buzz goin, thats what I think of when I think of having a pregame drink.

JackStraw

Rookie
Speaking of the subject Aldon Smith's incident on the way to practice a few years ago was both hilarious and devastating. IIRC when the first responders arrived his foot was on the gas as he was passed out crashed into a tree....on his way to practice.

NFL players are just guys. I know guys who regularly use psychoactive substances at work and do a great job

Lawrence Taylor was a legit crack head and was unanimously considered the best linebacker in NFL