Two byes are best.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I keep wondering why the NFL hasn't installed a second bye week for teams. It seems logical to give them an early/mid season break and a mid/late season break. It gives teams a chance to recover and work on things that need ironed out. It would also allow for the bye before the Thursday Night NFL game to play out easier.

Teams would be healthier and rested, play would be better overall, and the season would be extended by another week.

Whats to lose?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like the idea.
  1. Extending the season without adding games
  2. Player safety, more healing time
  3. Potentially less missed games by star players (as example perhaps Roethlisberger or Luck miss one less game because the bye falls during their 4 week injury)
Make it happen, Elm.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I've been calling for this for a few years now. Seems like a win/win for the league, teams and players. Not only does it extend the season which should allow for more league income from TV, but teams and individual players are better rested which should translate to a better overall product, and perhaps less prone to injury. jmo.

Athos

Legend
Dumb not too. Also helps the learning curve of rookies.

Probably limits damage of concussions. In the sense of allowing more recovery time.

And of course the money like you said.

A bye at like week 5 and then another at like week 11.

Stel

Starter
I think the byes need to be grouped together more, too. right now, teams get their bye week is spread over 7 weeks, from week 4 to week 11, with from 2 to 6 teams getting a week off. When your bye week comes up gives a team an advantage. Don't see a reason why those byes shouldn't be on weeks 8, 9, and 10 (with 10 or 12 teams off each week) so everyone essentially gets the same number of games before and after the bye. Adopting the 2 bye 18 weeks schedule, each team would get a bye during weeks 5, 6 & 7 and one during weeks 12, 13 & 14, again with 10 or 12 teams getting each week off.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm good with a 2nd bye week. If they ever go to 18 games I'd like to see 3 byes, or even a six game run, then two weeks off, then six games and another two weeks off then the last six games.

It would be OK with me!

jap

Legend
I doubt the league would ever consider two byes unless they increase the number of games in a regular season. The owners want more games while the players/players union is concerned about long-time wear & tear on the body.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2 byes and eliminate the week off between conference championships and superbowl

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I think a 4-week bye schedule, with 8 teams off, starting @ Week 5 thru 8, then another 4-week set starting @ Week 13 thru 16. That would mean 12 games a week during those Bye weeks. The Week 12 Thanksgiving weekend is too big for NFL.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree. We also need to lose the bye week disparity. Byes that are too early or late, suck.

I would have the AFC off week 5 or 6 and the NFC off the other. Then the same at week 10-11.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

If Thursday is the end of the week game then the team would get 11 days before and then the bye which is 9 off after.

If the Thursday game stays as is with the bye the Sunday before the team gets a 10 day break the week before and a 10 day break after.

Not much difference

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Definitely. I've always thought it was a good idea. What's not to like?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the byes need to be grouped together more, too. right now, teams get their bye week is spread over 7 weeks, from week 4 to week 11, with from 2 to 6 teams getting a week off. When your bye week comes up gives a team an advantage. Don't see a reason why those byes shouldn't be on weeks 8, 9, and 10 (with 10 or 12 teams off each week) so everyone essentially gets the same number of games before and after the bye. Adopting the 2 bye 18 weeks schedule, each team would get a bye during weeks 5, 6 & 7 and one during weeks 12, 13 & 14, again with 10 or 12 teams getting each week off.

My guess? TV.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I doubt the league would ever consider two byes unless they increase the number of games in a regular season. The owners want more games while the players/players union is concerned about long-time wear & tear on the body.
While it wouldn't give them more games, it would give them more national games to telecast and would give them a bit longer season. I like it and it would make the NFL more money so they should like it too. Make it happen Rog. Do something good for the game for a change.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
An awfully important point on this subject, which hasn't been mentioned yet:

The NFL already did this.

In 1993.

16 games, over 18 weeks, 2 byes per team.

It's not entirely clear why they tried it and then went back to the one-bye only format in 1994. However, seems like the main complaint was a concern over "dilution of the quality of the product" when having fewer marquee match-ups each week as a result of 2 byes per team.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
From a personally selfish point of view from me, I wouldn't like...I have enough trouble getting through he one bye, let alone 2...Like I said, just plain selfishness on my part...