TV Land pulls 'Dukes of Hazzard' re-runs over Confederate flag debate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
There's only ONE flag that matters anyways. :wabbit:
Screenshot_2015-07-01-23-37-43-1.png

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
There are a lot of things that I do not like but I like freedom...I think freedom is more important than anything. In order for freedom for all to work freedom for all must be.

Like the freedom to show more of Daisy Duke! ;)

View: https://youtu.be/cbKjLFXtwxs

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'll never understand why people are so attached to that flag. It would be like people flying the Union Jack. I know that people are proud of it, but I don't under why, and I doubt I ever will. Maybe it's because I wasn't born in the states, but I just don't get it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I guess that's MY question. Of ALL the ways to show southern pride... and there are TONS of 'em. I've seen 'em now living in the deep south, and yes, Central Florida qualifies as the Deep South as the many pickup trucks with stars and bars flags flying from the truck beds will attest.

So, I don't get it. With so many alternatives, why belligerently fight the "heritage" fight over the stars and bars when it's so aligned with slavery when there are other symbols of southern pride that aren't?

/shrug.

This, too, shall pass.

Eventually, those shows will be back on. Judiciously. The items will eventually be back for sale, but only in places like military catalogs and stuff like that just like Nazi memorabilia. Some things won't be viewable just like you can't find Song of the South anymore and you can't see some of those old "blackface" Bugs Bunny cartoons anymore or some of the Heckle and Jeckle cartoons (talking magpies).

It's just a pendulum. It had to swing like this for people to understand that flying that flag from the top of state buildings (STILL) is just not acceptable. Eventually, it will find a middle place.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Wow! I hadn't really been following this story and was only vaguely aware that it was linked to the church shootings but this is the definition of an overreaction.

I don't know what the confederate flag truly represents but I imagine it means different things to different people and this changes over time. For example, it may have represented something during the civil war but surely after all these years that meaning has become less and less relevant and it's now mainly a symbol of pride like any other region or country's flag. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's now basically being treated in the same way as the swastika as others have said and that comparison is laughable.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
For the love.

I swear, if society would give equal attention to REAL issues we might solve REAL problems.

I agree 100%. I wish people would focus better educating our children as much time we spend on other stuff.

As far as the Confederate Flag. A lot of people forget that Sherman was a terrible human being that burnt down much of the south. Had the Civil War come to a more civil ending and peace agreement, I don't think the Confederate Flag would be as prominent.

This guy, pictured below, killed a lot of people and the flag is more of a F*ck You to Sherman and the Union for destroying the south over 150 years ago than slavery is awesome, but I could be wrong because I'm not southerner but that's the sense that I get.
article-2385208-1B2890B4000005DC-362_964x1054.jpg

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Question:
If that terrible tragedy hadn't happened in Charleston, would the Dukes of Hazzard be cancelled?

If not, why not? Discuss....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Bear with me on this theory but I believe there's a subliminal pull in the human consciousness to have one world without borders and no nation states. A world where everyone is equal. Flags, borders, patriotism, nationalism, pride in your country or a part of your country stand in the way of this happening. Rugged individualism is being replaced by group-think which can be evidenced by the rise of the pc police. My guess is this is the direction humanity is heading in and there's no turning back at this point.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
On a lighter note.

James Best... Rosco P. Coltrane... was a great character on the show. He lived here in Orlando up until around 2006,,, he taught music and acting here. He passed away earlier this year at the age of 88.

Anyway, remember his dog Flash on the show? James actually saved that dog from the pound. He was a big time dog lover. He actually brought that dog onto the set with him in season 3 and insisted on the producers letting Flash (a female btw) be his sidekick on the show. They didn't want to allow it but James won that battle.

Great show,,, and Jah bless Daisy and her shorts.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Question:
If that terrible tragedy hadn't happened in Charleston, would the Dukes of Hazzard be cancelled?

If not, why not? Discuss....

Of course not. Like I said no one gave damn about the flag 3 weeks ago.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Wonder what would have happened if the idiot posed with an American flag

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The Daytona International Speedway and Nascar are doing something very cool this weekend for the big race on Sunday. I think it's called the Coke Zero 400.

The Speedway will give you a large American flag free in exchange for any Confederate flag you bring them.

Good Stuff