Turning point: Odell Beckham Jr. hits a big one/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Turning point: Odell Beckham Jr. hits a big one
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14883/turning-point-beckham-hits-a-big-one

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A look back at the turning point of the St. Louis Rams' 37-27 loss to the New York Giants on Sunday:

The situation: After falling behind 27-13 midway through the third quarter, the Rams' offense responded with one of its best drives of the season, going 90 yards on 10 plays with quarterback Shaun Hill finding tight end Lance Kendricks for a 23-yard touchdown to trim the Giants' lead to 27-20 with a little less than two minutes to go in the third quarter. With momentum shifted, the Giants started the ensuing drive at their own 20 and failed to gain a yard on either of the first two plays. However, the second play was a pass from quarterback Eli Manning intended for receiver Odell Beckham Jr. Rams cornerback E.J. Gaines nearly picked it off, but was unable to haul it in. Worse, he collided squarely with safety T.J. McDonald's knee and had to be taken off the field on a cart with a concussion and lacerated lip. Fellow rookie Lamarcus Joyner, who hadn't played in five weeks, replaced Gaines. That set up a third-and-10 from the 20 with 55 seconds to go and the Giants leading 27-20. A quick three-and-out and the Rams could have been in business.

The play: The Giants lined up with Beckham in the slot to Manning's right and fellow receiver Rueben Randle flanking him out wide. Manning was in the shotgun with a back to his left and another receiver split left, leaving the five offensive linemen and a tight end in to protect. The Rams were in their adjusted nickel package with three down linemen, two linebackers, three cornerbacks and three safeties (including hybrid Mark Barron). Joyner lined up over Beckham, but played about 5 yards off with fellow cornerback Trumaine Johnson doing the same on outside receiver Randle. Barron was in the middle of the field, but not much deeper than either cornerback. Just before the snap, Barron bailed out of the run box to drop to about 14 yards deep to provide help over the top. At the snap, Beckham and Randle ran an inside-out pattern with Randle coming underneath in the flat and Beckham taking off vertically to the outside. Joyner takes a step in Beckham's direction but quickly turns his attention to Randle coming over the middle. Johnson also stays with Randle rather than switching to Beckham. Meanwhile, the Rams sent the three linemen, linebacker James Laurinaitis and safety Rodney McLeod after Manning. Without McLeod on the back end, it forced Barron and McDonald to handle the back half of the field. The rush generated some pressure as end Robert Quinn got close to Manning just before he delivered the ball. Just before Manning let it fly, Beckham put a quick double move on Barron, in what was already an unfair matchup, to create the separation.

Manning hit Beckham in stride with nobody within 10 yards of him and Beckham, and he coasted into the end zone for an 80-yard touchdown.

The fallout: Make no mistake, Beckham is a great player and he might have made this play anyway, but this was a classic Rams coverage bust. Nobody would say which of the two cornerbacks was supposed to stay with Beckham, but clearly the design of the defense wasn't to allow Beckham to be one on one with Barron. It would stand to reason that Joyner, who had just entered the game, might have been at fault here, but Johnson wasn't exactly Deion Sanders in his prime in this game either. Either way, this one resulted in a 34-20 Giants lead that they would not relinquish as the Rams dropped to 6-9 on the season.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
upload_2014-12-22_16-25-29.png

upload_2014-12-22_16-26-30.png

upload_2014-12-22_16-28-22.png

upload_2014-12-22_16-30-44.png

upload_2014-12-22_16-31-23.png

upload_2014-12-22_16-34-27.png

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
What Fish said

"We were in cover-2 on the long touchdown, unfortunately. Credit them, it was 3rd and 10, we were going to do a fake pressure and play two deep. They 7-man protect, Manning slid up in the pocket and they had 2-deep route beater and that was the deal. And we dropped coverage underneath, EJ got hurt the play before, Joyner came in and Tru didn't communicate with him and they both chased the shallow crosser. So, now, all the sudden Mark is standing back there and he's got beckman running right at him and he learned in because he thought he had to jump him and he Beckham ran right by him"

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What Fish said

"We were in cover-2 on the long touchdown, unfortunately. Credit them, it was 3rd and 10, we were going to do a fake pressure and play two deep. They 7-man protect, Manning slid up in the pocket and they had 2-deep route beater and that was the deal. And we dropped coverage underneath, EJ got hurt the play before, Joyner came in and Tru didn't communicate with him and they both chased the shallow crosser. So, now, all the sudden Mark is standing back there and he's got beckman running right at him and he learned in because he thought he had to jump him and he Beckham ran right by him"

So pretty much what we expected. Trumaine and LaMarcus didn't communicate it which left Barron to try and overcompensate.

Being the vet I gotta lay him not communicating with the rookie at Tru's feet.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
So pretty much what we expected. Trumaine and LaMarcus didn't communicate it which left Barron to try and overcompensate.

Being the vet I gotta lay him not communicating with the rookie at Tru's feet.
I understand . . . but sometimes it's the rookie who makes the error . .. not saying for sure it was, but both have to comminucate with eatch other . . in meantime, I will try to see if the Rams will say who was supposed to trail Beckham

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand . . . but sometimes it's the rookie who makes the error . .. not saying for sure it was, but both have to comminucate with eatch other . . in meantime, I will try to see if the Rams will say who was supposed to trail Beckham

It may have been the rookie that made the error but I think it's the veteran's job to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
It may have been the rookie that made the error but I think it's the veteran's job to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Maybe it is, but still, neither you or I know who made the error. That's all I am saying. Until we know the call, we cannot know. All Fish said was "they" didn't communicate. "They" would be more than "he". If he said "he" didn't communicate.

it's fine to try and read the tea leaves, We all do it all the time, but at least say you're reading the tea leaves. . . I am perfectly willing to accept that Tru was at fault. But in this case I need a coach to tell me. Maybe you don't need that assurance.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe it is, but still, neither you or I know who made the error. That's all I am saying. Until we know the call, we cannot know. All Fish said was "they" didn't communicate. "They" would be more than "he". If he said "he" didn't communicate.

it's fine to try and read the tea leaves, We all do it all the time, but at least say you're reading the tea leaves. . . I am perfectly willing to accept that Tru was at fault. But in this case I need a coach to tell me. Maybe you don't need that assurance.

As I just said, who ultimately made the error isn't the thing that concerns me the most. THEY didn't communicate and it's my opinion that the veteran should be the one making sure they're on the same page. So in this scenario, I think Trumaine is at fault for the lack of communication. Joyner is a rookie. Trumaine needs to make sure that Joyner knows what's going on.

Just like if we had a rookie HB come out and have no idea what was going on, I'd be frustrated with the veteran QB for not making sure the rookie HB knew what he was supposed to be doing. Our veterans are supposed to lead the young guys.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You're both wrong. It's Schotty's fault.