Turning point: McLeod Sets the Tone/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Turning point: McLeod sets the tone
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13776/turning-point-rodney-mcleod-sets-the-tone

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A look back at the turning point play in the St. Louis Rams' 22-7 win against the Denver Broncos on Sunday afternoon:

The situation: After another busted coverage led to Denver receiver Emmanuel Sanders' 42-yard touchdown catch near the end of the first half, the Rams decided not to try to move the ball and opted to go into the locker room with a suddenly tenuous 13-7 lead. With the Broncos set to get the ball first in the second half, it seemed a head-scratching decision, especially with the Rams' knack for allowing such gaffes to snowball into clusters of points that lead to losses. The Broncos opened the third quarter from their 20 and three plays later had a first and 10 at their 47 with 13:28 to go in the third quarter.

The play: Before the snap, the Broncos lined up with Peyton Manning in the shotgun and running back C.J. Anderson to his left with Demaryius Thomas split wide left, Wes Welker in the slot and Sanders split right and tight end Jacob Tamme attached to the line on the right side. The Rams were in their base nickel formation with Janoris Jenkins playing slightly off Thomas, E.J. Gaines off of Welker and Trumaine Johnson pressed up against Sanders. Linebackers James Laurinaitis and Alec Ogletree lined up behind a four-man line with safety T.J. McDonald creeping toward the right side of the offensive line. Safety Rodney McLeod was deep in a common single-high safety look.

At the snap, the Rams rushed only four with McDonald taking Tamme and Laurinaitis heading down to cover Anderson. Sanders runs a simple go route and quickly gets behind Johnson down the field. With Johnson beat, it's McLeod's responsibility to provide help over the top. Manning's throw gets past Johnson but is a bit too far in front of Sanders, though it appears to be a catchable ball. Of course, it turned out it wasn't catchable at all as McLeod arrived a split second after the ball, dropped his shoulder and drove through a diving Sanders. The ball fell incomplete but McLeod drew a penalty flag for unnecessary roughness on what the officials described as contact to the head.

By most accounts, it was a rough but legal hit, but it gave Denver a free 15 yards anyway.

The fallout: The most unfortunate part of the hit was that it left Sanders with a concussion from which he did not return. But the hit actually turned some momentum back to the Rams because of the tone it set for the second half. The Rams were reeling a bit from the score at the end of the first half and needed to get a stop to open the third quarter. After the hit gave Denver a first down at the Rams' 38, the Broncos gained negative-5 yards on the next three plays and had to punt it away. The Rams' offense did enough to flip field position from there and kick a field goal two drives later for a two-possession lead they would not relinquish.

Adding to it, Sanders did not return to the game after posting five catches for 102 yards and Denver's only touchdown. The physical approach from the defense carried through to the rest of the game, and the Rams were able to close the deal for a surprising win.

"First, I hope Emmanuel Sanders is fine," McLeod said. "I think it speaks around the league when you make plays like that, especially from the safety position. It just makes the receivers a little hesitant when they look for the ball. We got off the field on that drive. Unfortunately the penalty was called but we were able not to give up any points."

Not just on that drive but for the rest of the game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It was a great play. A play that has to be made. It's a damn shame he'll get fined for it....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It was a great play. A play that has to be made. It's a damn shame he'll get fined for it....

Hopefully the NFL will do the right thing and not fine him.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Hopefully the NFL will do the right thing and not fine him.
If they don't they're admitting they screwed up which I'm fairly confident won't happen. They'd rather be wrong and stand firm then admit a mistake was made.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
If they don't they're admitting they screwed up which I'm fairly confident won't happen. They'd rather be wrong and stand firm then admit a mistake was made.

The league office has been known to "pick up the flag" when wrong before, Ky.

The fine on Brockers for that "late hit" on the QB last year, for example.

There is hope for McLeod, I think.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
The league office has been known to "pick up the flag" when wrong before, Ky.

The fine on Brockers for that "late hit" on the QB last year, for example.

There is hope for McLeod, I think.
We can bet ROD $ on it. 50K?:cheers:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll tell you what. Brockers made a tackle from behind a few plays later that saved a TD, and nobody is talking about it. From my vantage point, there was nobody in front of the runner when Brockers came flying in from behind to tackle him by the ankles. I think that saved us 6 and spared us from watching the Broncos gain momentum.