Turning point: Lance Kendricks penalized/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Turning point: Lance Kendricks penalized
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13518/turning-point-lance-kendricks-penalized

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- A look back at the turning point play in the St. Louis Rams' 31-14 loss to the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday afternoon:

The situation: With 4:13 to go in the third quarter and the Rams leading 14-10, the Rams began a drive at Arizona's 45 on the heels of linebacker Alec Ogletree's interception and 43-yard return. Arizona quarterback Carson Palmer saved a touchdown by running Ogletree out of bounds, but the Rams still firmly had momentum in their corner and a golden opportunity to take a two-score lead.

The play: On first-and-10, the Rams sent tight end Jared Cook over the middle where quarterback Austin Davis hit him in stride near Arizona's 25-yard line. Cook looked like he would be tackled on the spot but he shed safety Rashad Johnson's tackle attempt and turned toward the right sideline where he had more room to run. As Cook darted to the right, Arizona safety Tony Jefferson took off in pursuit. As Jefferson turned toward the sideline to chase Cook, Rams tight end Lance Kendricks stepped up and immediately dropped Jefferson with a crushing block.

"I tried to legally hit him," Kendricks said. "The guy is kind of short so I tried to really get down and hit him with my shoulder. Whether I made helmet contact or not, I’m not really sure, it happened kind of fast but I was just playing fast at that point. I wasn’t trying to take him out or anything like that. I was just trying to play fast and the refs happened to call a penalty."

Indeed, a flag came out with a call on Kendricks for an illegal blindside block. It had nothing to do with helmet-to-helmet contact and everything to do with rules intended to protect defenders. But, as Rams coach Jeff Fisher explained, the rule is supposed to be enforced only when the defender is moving north and south and the blocker has his back to a goal line. In this case, Kendricks was coming from a sideline angle which shouldn't prompt a flag.

Even impartial outside observer Mike Pereira, the former NFL vice president of officiating, said the call was incorrect.

The fallout: The penalty cost the Rams 15 yards from the spot of the foul, which was the 20-yard line. But there was more yardage lost than just those 15. Cook's run actually ended inside Arizona's 10 (the exact spot was hard to tell because it was unclear where he stepped out), which means it actually cost the Rams something closer to 25 yards of field position. Instead of first-and-goal, it was first-and-10 at Arizona's 35. The next three plays netted minus-12 yards and left the Rams to punt instead of getting at least a field goal. A chance to take a seven- to 10-point lead became a punt and with momentum switching sides, the Cardinals surged to 21 unanswered points in the fourth quarter for the final margin.

"We score there things might change," Fisher said. "But if we got the first down, I remember the ball was 9, 10, 14 yards down, somewhere around there. We have a chance to score points. The game could considerably change at that point, but it didn’t."

Technically, it did. Just not in the Rams' favor.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
This was definitely the turning point of the game, and it seriously pissed me off that it was considered a penalty. That was probably one of the best downfield blocks I've ever seen from a tight end. If anything, Kendricks should've gotten on every highlight reel for that block.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
The fact that Mike Pereira said that he didn't believe it was an illegal block infuriates me. I know, good teams overcome this kind of call, but I can't help but to think if the flag isn't thrown we would have punched it in and it would have been a much different ball game. It just seems like we have these kind of calls go against us too often.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This was definitely the turning point of the game, and it seriously pissed me off that it was considered a penalty. That was probably one of the best downfield blocks I've ever seen from a tight end. If anything, Kendricks should've gotten on every highlight reel for that block.
Yep. That flag was thrown because it looked too rough, much like when Brockers legally demolished McCown last season and was called for roughing.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
14-10. We score there and Palmer keeps getting beat up?...who knows. Awful call.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Jim Thomas @jthom1
After reviewing game tape of Lance Kendricks' blindside hit on Tony Jefferson, Fisher says it was the right call.

When I was in high school (which was only a little more than five years ago), you'd see that block everywhere on the highlight reel. Believe me, I'm one of the last people who would say that the NFL is turning into flag football, but that's a legal hit in my eyes, and I can't believe it got penalized.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The funniest part to that was calling 49er fan Mike Pereira an "impartial observer".

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

All things considered it was a helmet to helmet hit.

A turning point was when Davis took an 11 yard sack 3 plays later putting the rams out of fg range. Just like against the chiefs it all went pear shaped after that. But the real turning point was Palmer getting injured. The rams d relaxed a little and the result was a quick strike td then Davis shit the bed.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That bomb for the TD was a killer too. How our secondary keeps letting guys get behind them........... it's a speed issue. Speed kills. We can't keep up.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

All things considered it was a helmet to helmet hit.

A turning point was when Davis took an 11 yard sack 3 plays later putting the rams out of fg range. Just like against the chiefs it all went pear shaped after that. But the real turning point was Palmer getting injured. The rams d relaxed a little and the result was a quick strike td then Davis crap the bed.

++++ This..

It was helmet to helmet. That's what I thought they were maybe calling when I saw the flag. I also told the Mrs. when Palmer got injured it wasn't good for us. You bring in a fresh/good QB at that point in the game. We had Palmer a bit woozy and Stanton hadn't been hit. Bring that to the equation, and what you referenced above (D relaxing) and it was bad karma for us.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'll post it once, I'll post it twice the NFL Referees do not know the rules. They know variations like that rule for example, however, when the Head Coach points out the actual rule the Head Lineman should be able to instruct his crew to pick up the flag.

This is a prime example of what drives me crazy in the NFL the officials do not understand the rules of the game and need to be held accountable.